Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline biedmatt  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2013 22:27:52(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I need to order a part for a V188 loco #37282. The part is the cab entry ladder and grab handles. It is part number 206399. Marklin tells me they do have it available. My dilema is I can not buy it direct from Marklin due to their agreement with Walthers. Yet Walthers will not order it for me because it is for a loco prior to their becoming the Marklin North America distributor. You are getting a handle on what it is like to be a Marklin enthusiast in North America- a $200 loco reduced to parts for want of a 5 euro part. My request: can someone here order it for me and send it to me? I will of course pay for all costs and shipping plus what you may feel is a proper sum for the time you invest.

Thank you!

Edited by user 13 May 2013 14:40:45(UTC)  | Reason: Revised title

Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2013 22:37:59(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
I need to order a part for a V188 loco #37282. The part is the cab entry ladder and grab handles. It is part number 206399. Marklin tells me they do have it available. My dilema is I can not buy it direct from Marklin due to their agreement with Walthers. Yet Walthers will not order it for me because it is for a loco prior to their becoming the Marklin North America distributor. You are getting a handle on what it is like to be a Marklin enthusiast in North America- a $200 loco reduced to parts for want of a 5 euro part. My request: can someone here order it for me and send it to me? I will of course pay for all costs and shipping plus what you may feel is a proper sum for the time you invest.

Thank you!

Hay you tried asking one of the German retailers like Lokshop or Modellbahnshop-Lippe? They have english-speaking staff.
You may have to pay around 15-20 euros for freight. MSL has an easy link to Paypal.

good luck..
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2013 22:49:06(UTC)
H0

Just tell W* (or your American dealer) you need that part for your loco #37283 (I hope that loco is new enough to be serviced by W*). Good luck.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline biedmatt  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2013 13:33:53(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I have sent an e-mail to Joe's Modelbahn (Ebay: Lackylok-Frickenhausen). Perhaps they can help me.

I forwarded a link to this thread to a gentleman named Tom at Marklin USA. In his e-mail response he described the thread as "untrue" and a "falsehood". What he does not understand is that is not the way I operate. Everything I have described above is first hand, personal experience. I then forwarded to him my contact information from Walthers, including names, dates and e-mails. I could provide telephone records too if necessary. I do not expect anything to come of it, but it made me feel good.

What angers me the most is those of us stuck with Walthers are reduced to begging for help like some panhandler in the street.

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Just tell W* (or your American dealer) you need that part for your loco #37283 (I hope that loco is new enough to be serviced by W*). Good luck.

I sent a message to Walthers via their website describing what I needed and the part number. Other than an automatic reply that they had received my request, that message went unanswered. I waited two weeks for a response. That is when I spoke to someone in parts and was told they would not get the part. My local Marklin dealer is open just 20 hours a week. I do not know how he stays in business. His source for the part would also be Walthers. I do not expect him to do any better.

Edited by user 13 May 2013 18:52:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2013 14:44:38(UTC)
H0

If Joe can't help, both Lokshop and Lippe (recommended before) should be able to help.

Märklin charge Euro 49.95 postage and package to Mexico (so if direct orders from the USA were possible, they probably would not be cheaper) and there is hope that it'll be cheaper when you order through a German dealer.

On one hand Walthers are complaining about people ordering directly from Germany - on the other hand they force people who need spare parts to do so. They must not be surprised if people buy the 2013 and 2014 new items where they also buy their spare parts ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline petestra  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2013 17:51:26(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Well stated, Tom. Walthers has no business complaining about people (like me too) who order

from German shops. If they gave good service I would use a US dealer who went thru Walthers but as I have said

many times, Walthers service is crap and I feel for the US Dealers. Six to ten months waiting time for parts (if you

ever get them at all) and other regular catalogue items is totally unacceptable to me. Spare parts you can just

whistle in the wind for. Yes, I've heard many times about the 3 or 4 shipments per year by Märklin to Walthers but

this is not good service and I'd rather deal directly with Germany. PeterMellow
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline BrandonVA  
#7 Posted : 13 May 2013 19:52:59(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Not to mention you can order from Germany, plus postage, and the cost is still often less than that straight from Walthers. I find if Walthers doesn't have it in stock, it's a complete mystery as to when and if it will ever come. I know someone who ordered some C track bridge sections from a US dealer 5-6 months ago, and they still haven't come in via Walthers. I wouldn't even consider that an uncommon part.

For small odds and ends, you can often find them on ebay.de as well. I've found some long discontinued parts using ebay saved searches and patience.

Too bad the the customer isn't always right these days...

-Brandon
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline biedmatt  
#8 Posted : 13 May 2013 21:22:52(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

Too bad the the customer isn't always right these days...

-Brandon

It's just our money we are giving to them. Apparently that is not important and perhaps we are getting worked up over nothing. We can always make more, right?

I just can't believe Marklin lets this situation persist. It is not a new situation. Surely, they are aware of it. The damage to their reputation though is considerable. I could not recommend them to anyone entering the hobby. They need to take back control of replacement parts. Leave product distribution to Walthers, but take charge of these tiny pieces that are so important to us and so insignificant to Walthers. I would think the cost to profit for these spare parts makes it a loosing proposition to Walthers anyway. Money tied up in little pieces you may never sell. Walthers loose, we loose and Marklin loose with the way it is now.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline biedmatt  
#9 Posted : 13 May 2013 23:34:15(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I was expecting some e-mails when I got home and I have some good news to report.

After I forwarded my corespondences to Tom, he checked into the situation and found that someone at Walthers was in fact distributing incorrect information. But it gets better, there was only one left at the factory, so they (Marklin USA) jumped on it and got it ordered for me. A pro-active response, quite unique and appreciated.

The misinformation was unfortunate and I hate the situation developed into what had become ugly and unproductive for all involved. So, to get the correct information out there, Walthers will be able to take orders for any and all parts Marklin have available. If someone tells you otherwise, go to Marklin USA. The misunderstanding was with warranty repairs for which Walthers is understandably not responsible when they did not distribute the product. The frequency of spare part order placement needs improvement, but one step at a time.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline evan.v.giles  
#10 Posted : 16 May 2013 06:59:15(UTC)
evan.v.giles

Hi everyone,

I just got interesting letter from train traders and the gentleman I received it from gave me an insight into the total collapse of the model train industry here, if you wish to read the letter
you may do so through my album's page as the letter isn't for general distribution.

Sad to say we may be reduced to having nothing as far as easily accessable repairs and distributors at home here.
Offline Chook  
#11 Posted : 16 May 2013 11:49:27(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
Originally Posted by: evan.v.giles Go to Quoted Post

Hi everyone,

I just got interesting letter from train traders and the gentleman I received it from gave me an insight into the total collapse of the model train industry here, if you wish to read the letter
you may do so through my album's page as the letter isn't for general distribution.

Sad to say we may be reduced to having nothing as far as easily accessable repairs and distributors at home here.

Evan thank you for the post. I was able to access your "album" page which presented with a single picture but I could go no further. HELP.
I am from Perth and have dealt with "train Trader" some years ago. I do hope that they can remain in business.

Regards.......Chook.
Offline old toot  
#12 Posted : 18 May 2013 04:32:49(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   

Thank you!

Hi Matt
sorry to here you got such a weak reason we just last week put a loco that was 45 years old back together that only had one wheel
no motor and reverse unit and it had been the guys dads locos that he had run as a child, and that parts are not that hard to get
Marklin would not be impressed their new team that has evolved over that last 5 years are far younger and more proactive
Don't worry change is coming on the American front as the new owners have a lot of existing setups in America so just give them a little time
and your could see both dealers and customers getting a far better deal as they are very clever people and when you look at their group companies histories he has rebuilt so many of then and invested and turned them around.
We are repairing older locos all the time out here in NZ and just this last ten days had 6 guys say "I have just pulled out the Train set I had for 25 years and going to get it running again" so only dealing in parts from the last 5 years they are missing out on a pile of work for their service dept, and that has always been a big advantage of marklin that we can repair older locos in fact the loco running on our lobby layout here in store is 65 years old !!
regards and i checked we have not got any of that part in stock at present but let me know if you are still having trouble
Bryan old toot
were we pickit, packit and postit
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 18 May 2013 05:15:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: old toot Go to Quoted Post

Thank you!

Hi Matt
sorry to here you got such a weak reason we just last week put a loco that was 45 years old back together that only had one wheel
no motor and reverse unit and it had been the guys dads locos that he had run as a child, and that parts are not that hard to get
Marklin would not be impressed their new team that has evolved over that last 5 years are far younger and more proactive
Don't worry change is coming on the American front as the new owners have a lot of existing setups in America so just give them a little time
and your could see both dealers and customers getting a far better deal as they are very clever people and when you look at their group companies histories he has rebuilt so many of then and invested and turned them around.
We are repairing older locos all the time out here in NZ and just this last ten days had 6 guys say "I have just pulled out the Train set I had for 25 years and going to get it running again" so only dealing in parts from the last 5 years they are missing out on a pile of work for their service dept, and that has always been a big advantage of marklin that we can repair older locos in fact the loco running on our lobby layout here in store is 65 years old !!
regards and i checked we have not got any of that part in stock at present but let me know if you are still having trouble
Bryan old toot

Bryan, the other fact is also some parts of older older locos are available as copied examples.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode