Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2013 16:32:06(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
My version of the Revell/Monogram kit of the Big Boy,scale H0.
The Big Boy has few flaws,if there is one it must be that the color black makes it a rather dull model,as goes for most black steamers.
As such i opted for a brass look,using a Humbrol No. 54 spraycan.
I always liked the Japanese brass models of my youth.
This is not an easy kit to build,there are some fragile parts which easily snap.
The building instructions are not entirely correct,the instruction about the tender coupling is wrong,there is no reference to fitting the air compressors on the forward wheelframe.
I found that one Humbrol spraycan for such a big kit is not sufficient,it is perhaps better to spray with light grey first,thence apply a light coat of brass.
I reckon the model in its current state requires another one or two brass spraycoats.
Monogram sold it as a no glue snap together kit,in my opinion it is better to glue and keep it static.
Also,it is difficult to align the wheels on standard Maerklin track,something to consider when pushing the wheel sets together.
All in all it is not a bad model for the money,some Euro's 20.- in Holland.
A Humbrol spray can comes at Euro 6.- each.
Now there is one more thing left:keep saving money for my next Maerklin Big Boy!

Note: Brass stands for an alloy of copper and zinc,Dutch word is "messing".
Sometimes rather confusing,a brass band in Holland is a group of people using copper instruments such as trompets.

Cheers,
Paul.
NS1200 attached the following image(s):
IMG_2882.jpg
IMG_2878.jpg
IMG_2879.jpg
IMG_2883.jpg
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2013 20:54:17(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Paul,
Wow, that is one impressive, very presentable model. I really like the idea.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2013 21:05:20(UTC)
Webmaster

But.... Most trumpets, trombones, saxophones and such are brass ("messing") or "blech"... Have never seen a copper trumpet... Confused

A great and unusual coloring indeed for the Big Boy...
I have two unbuilt Revell (BR 18) loco kits at home, and this is indeed inspiration for making them special for a display...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline EMD_GP7  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2013 21:32:53(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Hi Paul.
Interesting colour scheme.
In an old Rivarossi catalogue (1972) that I have there are some Gold coloured locos.
These are called "Gold Models" and are mainly Italian locos but there is one US loco and a couple of US passenger cars.
They are described as "gilded piece by piece before assembly" and look like brass but are plastic.
The US Loco is not a Big Boy which is in the same catalogue but a NYC Hudson class J.
I wonder if the Big Boy was ever produced in Gold colour in other years ? I have never seen one.
I have the Revell and Monogram Big Boy kits and as you say the Monogram version is "snap tite" and unusually has Baltimore and Ohio markings instead of the correct U.P.
Regards, Colin.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by EMD_GP7
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 30 April 2013 23:12:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post

Big Boys are meant to be black, that's their natural colour! As for painting it a gold / brass colour.......Crying Unsure Scared
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline NS1200  
#6 Posted : 01 May 2013 20:32:57(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
But.... Most trumpets, trombones, saxophones and such are brass ("messing") or "blech"... Have never seen a copper trumpet... Confused

I have two unbuilt Revell (BR 18) loco kits at home, and this is indeed inspiration for making them special for a display...

Juhan,

In Holland,musical instruments such as trumpets and the alike are in general referred to as copper instruments.
"Koper blazers" refers to people playing such an instrument.

Paul.
Offline NS1200  
#7 Posted : 01 May 2013 20:34:56(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Big Boys are meant to be black, that's their natural colour! As for painting it a gold / brass colour.......Crying Unsure Scared

The Humbrol paint used is number 54 for "Brass".
Humbrol also has a spraycan for gold color which is much more shiny and yellow.

Paul.
Offline NS1200  
#8 Posted : 01 May 2013 20:39:23(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Dear Friends,

In comparison a Japanese Tenshodo model of the Big Boy in brass.
In my youth,these brass models were already very expensive for Dutch standards.
Must also point out that the Revell plastic Big Boy will stay alive till the Maerklin Big Boy can be purchased.

www.brasstrains.com/clas...-Boy-4-8-8-4-PILOT-MODEL
Offline NS1200  
#9 Posted : 01 May 2013 20:53:03(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: EMD_GP7 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Paul.
Interesting colour scheme.
In an old Rivarossi catalogue (1972) that I have there are some Gold coloured locos.
These are called "Gold Models" and are mainly Italian locos but there is one US loco and a couple of US passenger cars.
They are described as "gilded piece by piece before assembly" and look like brass but are plastic.
The US Loco is not a Big Boy which is in the same catalogue but a NYC Hudson class J.
I wonder if the Big Boy was ever produced in Gold colour in other years ? I have never seen one.
I have the Revell and Monogram Big Boy kits and as you say the Monogram version is "snap tite" and unusually has Baltimore and Ohio markings instead of the correct U.P.
Regards, Colin.

Colin,

I think before Monogram issued the kit,it was first issued by Con-Cor in the USA.
The set of decals included may differ from kit to kit.
For the money it is not a bad kit,but nothing beats the real thing:the Maerklin version!

Paul.

Offline EMD_GP7  
#10 Posted : 01 May 2013 21:36:38(UTC)
EMD_GP7

I
Quote:
think before Monogram issued the kit,it was first issued by Con-Cor in the USA.
The set of decals included may differ from kit to kit.

It's not just the decals the whole box is a B&O version.

UserPostedImage

Regards, Colin.
Offline Angus  
#11 Posted : 02 May 2013 11:58:06(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Very nice Paul.

I have the Revell kit sitting in my stash of model kits to build (around 100 kits). I like the idea of different colouring but with wanting to put mine in the transport museum that I may have on a layout planned for sometime in the future, I'll probably go with standard colours.

I have built the Revell BR02 but that was my first loco model and didn't turn out too good. I might do another to practice before attempting the Big Boy. Haha just an excuse for another kit :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Angus
Offline NS1200  
#12 Posted : 02 May 2013 20:18:31(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Angus Go to Quoted Post
Very nice Paul.

I have the Revell kit sitting in my stash of model kits to build (around 100 kits). I like the idea of different colouring but with wanting to put mine in the transport museum that I may have on a layout planned for sometime in the future, I'll probably go with standard colours.

I have built the Revell BR02 but that was my first loco model and didn't turn out too good. I might do another to practice before attempting the Big Boy. Haha just an excuse for another kit :)

Thanks,

I found that building a plastic kit like this is not a task to be taken lightly,that is if you want to do a proper job.
I have been a bit too hasty in applying the paint,could have done a better job there.
Also,the fitting of the parts is not perfect and caused some agony.
All in all i would give my efforts a 7 out of 10 points.
It would take a professional model builder to reach an 8 or 9 i guess.
The wheelsets and drive rods are complicated and hard to align with any track.
It is a funny model in that the handrails on the front truck are fragile whereas the handrails at the back of the tender are way too rough.
Also the rib over the length of the boiler will not win a beauty price.
I see this as an inexpensive interim move to own a Big Boy before i have money enough to buy a Maerklin Big Boy.
I think this plastic big Boy will go the same way as the countless Airfix kits i built in my youth:in the bin!

About fantasy colors: try and think out of the box,even good old Maerklin sometimes come up with fantasy versions of more traditional models,their socalled blank metal models are a nice example.
Years ago they issued a set of 3 steamers in Z scale,one in bronze,one in silver,and one in gold.
A perfect collectors item i would say!
I have another Monogram Big Boy kit left,perhaps that will do in a nice icy blue color with some brass accents!

Cheers,
Paul.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200