Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dave Banks  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2013 12:54:34(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi Guys, I think this topic has been covered before but maybe some one can give me the abbreviated version on how to fix this problem of mine. I have just installed a Lokpilot v3.0 M4 (21 pin) into this loco & I am trying to use the old 62255 Swiss lighting changeover board with not much success. Installed as per http://www.jus-kn.de/ch_licht.htm using 3760 digital diagram. When I get it onto the programmer it takes a long while for the lights to come on & when they do they are very dim. If I switch the lights off & on there is nothing for a long while till loco moves. If I transfer loco to my layout using Ecos 50200 then lights will not operate period. In the below not so good pictures the two yellow outlet cables to front & rear are bridged to get the two on in front & one right rear to operate. If I remove this bridge the front & rear lights operate directional on both controllers but rear single light will not come on. Something in the bridging causes the whole issue. Now I believe I can throw out the whole 62255 board altogether & just use the Aux 1 & Aux 2 outlets. Not to sure how that works but I am told to change the CV141 value 5 & CV144 to value 6. How do I change a CV on a M4 decoder when you cannot access it on the programmer. So I either fix option 1 or throw it all out & use option 2. Any ideas on this with photos would be much appreciated.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 23 April 2013 22:25:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

D.A.Banks
Offline Dave Banks  
#2 Posted : 25 April 2013 01:05:29(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Guys I am happy to report I have seen the error of my ways. Trying to be a scrooge has cost me many hours & a restless night trying to resolve this relatively simple problem. I went on the net & found this on information on "Stummis" forum. http://www.stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81724.

More precisely this paragraph is what got my attention:

In the Ae 6/6, the heat is not critical. The environment is thermally stable enough. , the so-called digital bulbs are actually only slightly weaker performance. They are designed for a higher voltage and lower power consumption. Marklin With the usual Ae 6/6 light Swiss Exchange are always 3 lamps driven simultaneously. This has always worked in 60902nd But at 60760 I do not know. This decoder I would not want to do.

So it got me thinking that by using the old bulbs 610040 & reducing the power from 255 to 90 I was sorting the problem & reducing the heat. Same as the 60760 decoder the ESU lokpilot V3.0M4 cannot drive three of the 610040 globes. Once I changed all four of these for the 610080 globes the problem was solved. A case of not seeing the trees for the forest.

D.A.Banks
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 25 April 2013 07:59:35(UTC)
H0

Hi!
There is one important difference: the 60760 indicates overload by letting magic smoke out while recent ESU decoders just leave the lights off.

When function outputs are dimmed, they still provide the full voltage - but only for a reduced percentage of time. This reduces the average wattage flowing through the lamps, but not the peak current (which is still too much for the decoder).

Good to hear you got it sorted without any damages.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Dave Banks  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2013 11:07:28(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   

Hi Tom, many thanks for your reply. I guess I did not think to check the lights on this loco as it is one I have put together & parts have literally come from all over the World to make it possible to finish this project of mine. The lighting boards came with globes already installed & yes I just assumed they were all # 610080. Well so much for I thought. OhMyGod Yes as you say I was lucky that there was no magic blue smoke. One thing I never do is put it on the main layout track until I am absolutely certain all is correct. I always use the Programming track first that has a special siding setup for 1st time loco recognition. Anyhow many thanks for your information. Smile
D.A.Banks
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 25 April 2013 11:50:21(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Dave,

I'm surprised you got it going at all because the lightchange board is made for analog locos and not digital.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Dave Banks  
#6 Posted : 25 April 2013 13:59:43(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi John, evidently it does both but you have to change the wires around from the analog setup. I had to use this board as the Lokpilot V3.0 M4 will not allow me to view the CV's via the programmer & so I could not use just the decoder to do the Swiss lighting setup. But next time I have to do this kind of conversion I will use the ESU new version decoders & set the CV's accordingly with appropriate wiring & use of AUX 1 & AUX 2. Well it is only through these silly kinds of mistakes does one learn. Confused
D.A.Banks