Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2013 06:51:25(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The average Eurocity, Intercity can have a total length of up to 14 coaches. This can be a little long for most HO Scale layouts unless we're talking Miniatur Wunderland. Verkehrshaus Luzern, Galleria Baumgartner or other display layout.

If a train between Basel and Milano has 4 SBB coaches, a SBB restaurant, 3 FS first class coaches and 6 FS second class coaches, how would you reproduce this consist for your layout. Same for a DB Intercity or Eurocity with four first class coaches, a restaurant or bord bistro and eight second class coaches (or seven plus a baggage car).

One of the easiest decisions for me was to omit baggage cars and in some cases the restaurant coach. If the SBB coaches include one first class and three second class, I might reduce that to one first and two second, then the restaurant, then one FS first class and two second class coaches, bringing the total length of the train to 7 coaches.

In the case of my SBB-OBB Night Trains, I have this dilemma with the EN Wiener Walzer, which consists of a pair of double deck LSM OBB sleepers (97002), one LSM OBB couchette (47052), a RailTop OBB couchette (32515), a RailTop OBB coach (32231), an ACME OBB coach (52649), an ACME MAV couchette (52020) and an ACME MAV sleeper (52030). I might omit one of the two OBB coaches (32231 or 52649). There is also an optional LSM 47078 sleeper that sometimes is added to the actual consist.
http://www.reisezuege.ch...action=5&znummer=467

The other Night Train is the EN Zuerichsee, which consists of a RailTop OBB Sleeper (32503), a LSM OBB couchette (47045), a RailTop OBB couchette (32511), a Roco SBB coach (44770) and a second LSM OBB couchette (47053). For this train, I have simply omitted the Croatian and Serbian coaches as the current models are not available in HO. http://www.reisezuege.ch...action=5&znummer=465

Some trains are easier to model. Prior to the 1980s, trains were often shorter, especially the classic Trans Europ Express which consisted only of first class coaches. The TEE Roland, for example, consisted on six coaches from Basel to Milano. In Germany there were coaches to Chur and to Geneva (Rheingold) attached to the train, increasing the length on that part of the route. http://www.heinrich-hank...dung/1971_tee_roland.htm

I am curious to see how others have confronted this issue and recreated trains for their layouts or collections.

Regards

Mike C
mike c attached the following image(s):
SBB Re 4-4 11208 EN Wiener Walzer.jpg
EN Wiener Walzer WL-Bcmz.jpg
OBB EN 2000.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2013 08:18:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Mike you always welcome to try them out on my layout,

My suspicion is, modellers who have a smaller or medium layout do not bother going for the prototypical consists and even 7 carriages (1:87) = you need 2.4 meters incl. loco.
but it isn't for me to say this is the case.
on a slight off topic, on another forum I was reminded my Austrian consists are not prototypical. having a car carriage right next to the loco, well I just watched a video showing exactly that.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2013 09:02:08(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I don't think a great percentage of modelers worry too much about having 14 passenger wagons trains. When do you stop? In big layouts mountains don't have the proper prototypical highs, there are train lines that go nowhere, lakes and rivers that are tiny. The list never ends and the size of a correct prototipical layout should keep balooning acordingly.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2013 09:11:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I like to run what I consider to be representative trains, and I'm not too bothered about what was or is prototypical as long as it looks plausible.

I start by working out the maximum number of coaches that will fit in my station. For local trains that's usually two bogie coaches or three short coaches, and for expresses it can be four or five bogie coaches. If it seems appropriate I will then have one 1st class, two 2nd class, one baggage and one restaurant, leaving out one of these if it doesn't fit.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline ozzman  
#5 Posted : 07 February 2013 09:46:08(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
I think Ray's response is spot on, particularly his use of the word "representative". It would be a very fortunate modeller indeed who'd have the space to run 14 coach passenger trains.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline Western Pacific  
#6 Posted : 07 February 2013 10:38:38(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
I follow much the same rule as Ray, but limiting it to seven coaches. This means a German IC-train would be A+A+WR+B+B+B+B and the engine could be at either end.

Another train that I sometimes use as a prototype for my trains is the EN Alfred Nobel that ran between Hamburg Altona and Stockholm C/Oslo S with German coaches. I then focus on the segment for the southbound Stockholm to Hamburg consist which some years ran as a train of its own and some years with Swedish coaches at the end of the train. The composition of the train was an SJ class Rc engine followed by, depending on the season, one or two TEN WLAB and then two to four DB BC coaches. However, given the difficulty finding BC-coaches I normally use just ordinary DB B-coaches.

Here is a picture I found on the Internet of the southbound train at Norrköping C (note the time 19h34):
Alfred Nobel

The train some years had Swedish coaches that were included from Stockholm C to Nässjö C. In the official timetable the train ran non-stop from there to Lübeck Hbf I believe it was, but in practice it had to stop at Helsingborg F to be ferried over to Helsingør (Denmark) on ferries that could only take three coaches at the time (a 20 minute crossing). It was in Helsingør that the consist from Stockholm and that from Oslo were joined to one train that continued to Rødby Færge (engine: a DSB Mx, My or Mz) where the train was put on a ferry to Puttgarden (Germany) for a 50 minute crossing. These ferries could take up to twelve coaches. From Puttgarden the train was headed by for instance a DB 218 to Hamburg. The two ferry crossings meant that this train was never longer than twelve coaches and never more than six to Stockholm and six for Göteborg and Oslo. My recollection of the timetable was that it left Stockholm around 18h00 and arrived at Hamburg Hbf between 8h00 and 9h00. Today there are no night trains and the fastest connection on weekdays is from Stockholm at 5h21 arriving at Hamburg Hbf at 16h16 with a change of trains at København H (arriving at 10h32 and departing at 11h44) and there is no ferry between Sweden and Denmark only that between Denmark and Germany. (On Saturdays the time table shows a 6h21 departure and only 12 minutes to change trains in København H [compared to the 1h12 on weekdays] and I wouldn't trust such a short time for a train travelling a distance of more than 600 km between Stockholm C and København H).

Edited by user 07 February 2013 14:36:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 07 February 2013 11:20:33(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post
I don't think a great percentage of modelers worry too much about having 14 passenger wagons trains. When do you stop? In big layouts mountains don't have the proper prototypical highs, there are train lines that go nowhere, lakes and rivers that are tiny. The list never ends and the size of a correct prototipical layout should keep balooning acordingly.

you've got choices with big layout but which choice do you take on board.

Mountains or hills are a mammoth task to copy, lakes and rivers are possible but prototypical trains are the next best thing.

You also have to ask yourself what do you see in this forum, trains, locos, carriages and more trains and locos,

popularity comes into the debate and locos and carriages and digital components are the most talked about topic.

John
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 07 February 2013 21:43:48(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

Some people just model N gauge, where a 14 car consist is more plausible.

But for us in HO, the 'representative' train as Ray puts it, is about all we can cope with.

Luckily for me, the early part of era III in Germany, had some expresses with 3 coaches, and quite common too.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline xxup  
#9 Posted : 07 February 2013 22:07:44(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Some of us, on the other hand, insist on using a full length Thalys on a small layout because it just doesn't look right otherwise.. Blushing There is something to be said for never traveling to Europe - what you don't know can't hurt your hip pocket and will make a four car Thalys look real!

Anyway, I have learned my lesson - the Flying Duck is now the longest train on the layout! Cool After the Thalys - that is! RollEyes
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline petestra  
#10 Posted : 07 February 2013 22:41:27(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi, I usually do not have passenger trains with more than six coaches though 5 + Lok fit my
main station best.

E.G. Circa 1990 DB IC with Lok BR103 + 4292 2nd cl. compartment + 4225 2nd cl. open seating +
4294 DB Restaurant coach + 4224 1st cl. open seating + 4298 1st cl. compartment with tail lights.

PeterSmile
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 07 February 2013 22:45:21(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Some of us, on the other hand, insist on using a full length Thalys on a small layout because it just doesn't look right otherwise.. Blushing
Well, then don't go for an ICE 1 (14 pieces).
ICE 2 and 3 are more handy (8 pieces each), but often travel in double packs (for a 4 m H0 consist).

Era III is better: a RAm is pretty short and the Senator is only slightly longer.

Not all prototype trains have 14 coaches - at least not always and all the way. TEE trains with two or three coaches or F trains with four or five coaches can be prototypical.
My layout is an imaginary world and I run trains that look correct to me. Nice if I find prototype pictures that show such a train - but no problem if I don't.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kbvrod  
#12 Posted : 07 February 2013 23:03:31(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
In someway we are misusing the term 'consist', In NA terms this means a consist of locomotives,not a train.

In German railways a train can be anything.

Dr D
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 07 February 2013 23:25:00(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,
In someway we are misusing the term 'consist', In NA terms this means a consist of locomotives,not a train.

Dr D

Well, for some the term NA means "not applicable"BigGrin LOL

By consist, I mean an assembly of coaches put together as a train to run from point A to point B with stops in-between.

If I was talking about locomotive consist, I would be talking specifically about the locomotives assigned to a particular train.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#14 Posted : 07 February 2013 23:30:41(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Respecting what some members have said about having limited space, I can identify with that. I get to enjoy my long consists when I have the opportunity to lay out the tracks on the floor. Most of the time, I can run maybe 6 1:100 coaches, 5 28cm or 4 1:87 coaches on my little test oval. I prefer not to use the 30cm coaches on the test oval because they hang over the curves.

There is something special about a full length exact scale consist running the length of the room with larger (R4 or R5) curves.

For a shorter train on the test oval, I usually would have one or two first class, a restaurant or baggage and then three or four second class.
To use the passing siding and have two trains, the max length would be 5 1:100 coaches.

Regards

Mike C
Offline kbvrod  
#15 Posted : 08 February 2013 00:12:40(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Dr D

By consist, I mean an assembly of coaches put together as a train to run from point A to point B with stops in-between.

If I was talking about locomotive consist, I would be talking specifically about the locomotives assigned to a particular train.

RegardsMike C

No.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 08 February 2013 00:47:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I've got 3 types of German IC / IR coaches - White with Red stripes, White with Red and Pink stripes, and White with light Blue stripes.

For each of the sets, I have about 7 or 8 cars per train, but my layout can accommodate 6. Generally I would have 2 first class cars, a Restaurant car, 2 second class cars and an end cab control car, along with a Br 101 / 120 / 103 / 185 loco.

Like Ray, I try to keep the consist representative of the real thing.

In fact, I had one of the trains on a friend's layout just this week, where I could run 7 coaches plus loco. In this case, I had an extra second class car in the train. The loco is a Br101.
Bigdaddynz attached the following image(s):
IMG_0297s.jpg
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 08 February 2013 01:05:51(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Dr D

RegardsMike C

No.

Yes.

"Dictionary Definition
consist

verb:

Noun
1.A lineup or sequence of railroad carriages or cars, with or without a locomotive, that form a unit.
The train's consist included a baggage car, four passenger cars, and a diner.

...."
Ray
Offline NZMarklinist  
#18 Posted : 08 February 2013 02:03:51(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I've got 3 types of German IC / IR coaches - White with Red stripes, White with Red and Pink stripes, and White with light Blue stripes.

For each of the sets, I have about 7 or 8 cars per train, but my layout can accommodate 6. Generally I would have 2 first class cars, a Restaurant car, 2 second class cars and an end cab control car, along with a Br 101 / 120 / 103 / 185 loco.

Like Ray, I try to keep the consist representative of the real thing.

In fact, I had one of the trains on a friend's layout just this week, where I could run 7 coaches plus loco. In this case, I had an extra second class car in the train. The loco is a Br101.

Hi David,
I have that same IC Train and several 101's in different liveries, very nice thanks for the pic ThumpUp

However because of space constraints and for the reasoning used by Ray, I have just the end car and one other on my "layout" at the moment headed by my 182 Taurus, for consist testing purposes. (I have a function decoder in the end car)
Considering the wise and practical words of Tom and Ray above, I believe the other ingrediant we must use is our IMAGINATION.ThumpUp My IC train usually only gets to run on our Modular SIG layout, same with my ICEIII in full 8 car consist.
Even my new layout will not accomodate them, but it will be an era 2-3/4 continuum Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 08 February 2013 06:25:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
There is an amazing Italian forum that I check from time to time. I don't speak Italian, so I only understand little bits, but some of the consist information and photos (prototype and model) are amazing. http://www.forum-duegied...e.com/viewforum.php?f=21
Today, I found the following photos, which are very similar to one of my consists:

http://farm9.staticflick...2455561_073475052a_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflick...3523048_2a270f2ede_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflick...2468371_d520909e1f_b.jpg
The consist is made up of the new Roco Re 4/4II, Roco EWIV coaches (1A, 2B), Roco MC76 Baggage, Eyro (Roco) Apm Cisalpino, Roco Apm Panorama, 3 Heris or LSM B (ex-UIC 79) and 3 LSM B (ex-RIC 72)

If anybody is interested in getting a Cisalpino coach in 1/87 (303mm). I have an extra 385.002 Bpm which was painted by Wabu. Original price was CHF 155. I will let it go for 120 EUR or 150 US/CAD plus shipping. The coach will make a perfect colorful addition to any consist made up of SBB EC coaches between 2001 and 2011.

Regards

Mike C
Offline kimballthurlow  
#20 Posted : 08 February 2013 09:24:44(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi all,

Dr D

Hi Dr D,

The word 'consist' does mean 2 or more locos coupled together in North America, but the word lash-up is as far as I know, more commonly used for the same thing.

A train is a 'consist' of whatever it takes to make up a line of vehicles coupled together. The word 'train' was originally a military term to denote the movement of artillery, being made up of a gun carriage, and ancillary carriages carrying shot and powder, and other artillery hardware.

In the use of English, the word 'consist' is therefore entirely appropriate to denote a railway train.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kbvrod  
#21 Posted : 08 February 2013 15:29:04(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Kimball,all,
Blushing I was thinking in terms of DCC- speak!BigGrin My DCC throttle (NCE Power Cab) has a consist button,which sets up,..........consists!LOL

Dr D
Offline RayF  
#22 Posted : 08 February 2013 16:43:19(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Kimball,all,
Blushing I was thinking in terms of DCC- speak!BigGrin My DCC throttle (NCE Power Cab) has a consist button,which sets up,..........consists!LOL

Dr D

That's right, a consist of locomotives, as in a train of locomotives.
Ray
Offline river6109  
#23 Posted : 08 February 2013 16:45:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
here is an example of a consist of carriages (13)

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kimballthurlow  
#24 Posted : 08 February 2013 21:02:52(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Kimball,all,

Dr D

Hi Dr D,

Yes, I also have an NCE Power Cab, and the word consist has been coined by DCC manufacturers to denote a lash-up of locos. As a result, it has come into common use for that purpose. However, that of itself, should never limit the use of the word generally.

On the Railways of Germany Forum, they also use the word 'composition' in describing a train, but I personally use 'consist'. As in, what is the consist for a Long Henry ore train? Answer: 20 or more ore cars of type ....

I apologize for this OT dissertation on the use of English (a bit of a hobby-horse I'm afraid.)

regards
Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kbvrod  
#25 Posted : 08 February 2013 22:08:07(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Kimball,all,

>Yes, I also have an NCE Power Cab, and the word consist has been coined by DCC manufacturers to denote a lash-up of locos. As a result, it has come into common use for that purpose. However, that of itself, should never limit the use of the word generally.<

No worries on that. I am NOT the grammar police.BigGrin

>On the Railways of Germany Forum, they also use the word 'composition' in describing a train, but I personally use 'consist'. As in, what is the consist for a Long Henry ore train? Answer: 20 or more ore cars of type ....<

A train can be 1 lok and 1 wagen.Laugh

>I apologize for this OT dissertation on the use of English (a bit of a hobby-horse I'm afraid.)<

Don't,it's a discussion!LOL

Dr D

Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 08 February 2013 22:42:34(UTC)
H0

A train can be 1 lok and 1 wagen.
In Germany a train can be as short as 1 Lok and 0 Wagen (called a Leerzug (Lz), meaning "empty train").
All those locos where you cannot turn off the red tail lights are candidates for such Leerzüge.

While this does not help with the topic of this thread (short model consists of long prototype trains), it provides a nice excuse to run locos without coaches.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Purellum  
#27 Posted : 08 February 2013 22:44:34(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Could you please try to be a bit more consistent in the use of "consist". BigGrin Blink

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Yumgui  
#28 Posted : 08 February 2013 22:55:00(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Mike C,

Great trains you run ^^ !

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
here is an example of a consist of carriages (13)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6pFs0sTHtc

LOL John,

I recognize your penchant for freight "consistency" ... ^^ LOL

Yum Tongue

PS: "Representative" consists for my available linear straight line space are 5 x 24cm cars in these combos :

Long distance :
- Passenger 1st / Diner / Passenger 2nd / Sleeper or Lounge / Baggage
- Passenger 1st / Diner or Lounge / Passenger 2nd (x2) / Baggage or Mixed

Night trains:
- Baggage / Sleeper 1st / Diner or Lounge / Sleeper 2nd (x 2)
- Baggage / Sleeper 1st / Diner or Lounge / Sleeper 2nd / Auto transport

Work trains :

From my own memory of physically traveling on these trips, seems to work for both EU and US trains, so far ... (can even be pushed to 7 cars in the same proportions, your call on more 1st or 2nd class ... )

... Pix, someday ^^ ;)

Edited by user 09 February 2013 21:54:09(UTC)  | Reason: extra stuff ...

If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline mike c  
#29 Posted : 12 February 2013 19:04:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
?
Offline evan.v.giles  
#30 Posted : 12 May 2013 05:02:31(UTC)
evan.v.giles

Hi again everyone,

Whether a rake of railway wagons is a consist or a train is merely choosing between the American or English terms for it, since both are correct, since the two word's have the same
meaning and the Americans chose consist simply to be different, so as they say each too his own.

In Australia most consists are based on the needs , IE If it is a peak hour train you have more, off peak you have less so most suburban trains have eight car's and most outer suburban
trains have eight cars and are rarely broken down into smaller units.

However there was a Workers train that ran to Clyde and Carlingford that was only four car's long during peak hour's but at night was only two car's

In Queensland most peak hour services have six and off peak have three since they are EMU's

And as far as I know basic commuter services from the region's in Germany could have as little as two cars so
a three to four car train would not be unusual.

Winterberg is a very popular tourism spot due to skiing and the train service to there was only three car's for
most of the 1970's and is now two car's but it is a two hour service, so because it is a reasonably regular service
it has only two.

So a consist is any number of carriages that are sufficient to provide the service no more no less

And consist also includes the locomotives and an engine running singularly as a light engine run is also a consist albeit not a very big one.

Edited by user 12 May 2013 22:03:54(UTC)  | Reason: Additional Info

Offline H0  
#31 Posted : 12 May 2013 08:17:36(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: evan.v.giles Go to Quoted Post
And as far as I know basic commuter services from the region's in Germany could have as little as two cars so a three to four car train would not be unusual.
I've seen trains with only one coach. 141 with a Silberling, 143 with a double-stock coach, 110 or 111 with a -4yg coach.
There are pictures showing an E 94 with only one Silberling.

Two coaches can make a TEE train, three coaches a blue F train.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline evan.v.giles  
#32 Posted : 12 May 2013 09:14:25(UTC)
evan.v.giles

Hi again

Also a lot of our country services were provided by diesel rail car's similar to the small engined bus like things that were the main stay of regional services in Germany through the 50's
and 60's ours were the 600 and 900 class sets.

I traveled on these things with my father out to Mudgee a few times.

The only trains that exceed 8 or more carriages is the Indian Pacific and The Ghan.

The Spirit Of Progress and Southern Aurora did on occasions but the XPT's that replaced them rarely exceed 7
Offline Janne75  
#33 Posted : 13 May 2013 10:55:51(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Also those trains in Norway have not always so many carriages. In that video was locomotive and five carriages. I refer to the video with train from Trondheim to Bodö = Nordlandsbanen. So it depends of the country, era, time of the day, what train line it is, from the angle of the sun and shadows Wink and so on how long trains can be or should be...

I personally don´t take things so seriously and just run train lenghts what I like in my non prptotypical layout. It is era II or era III so lenght can be almost anything I want. And finally it is my layout and I am the "train master" with my CS2 ThumpUp .

I have R4 and R5 tracks mostly on my two main lines so it looks good also with longer carriages. I usually use 4-8 longer carriages when I use them. I have many variables including 6-10 carriages per type.

Mostly there is freight trains running at my layout. Long coal trains, tank trains or mixed freight trains. One reason for this is that I have not a station area for passenger trains. Only small freight station area with some sidings.

We should enjoy our wonderful hobby (MRR) and not take it too seriously, if we don´t want.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline evan.v.giles  
#34 Posted : 13 May 2013 22:38:07(UTC)
evan.v.giles

Hi again everybody

I also remember seeing in American literature about trains that a lot of the branch line trains at the start of the railway's and into the 19th century would have as little a one passenger car and
caboose or maybe one box as well so three vehicles in a train.Wink