Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline guiverc  
#1 Posted : 10 August 2012 16:04:21(UTC)
guiverc

Australia   
Just starting to rebuild a marklin layout that i've boxed away for 15-20 years.

Marklin steam loco 3106 - how do I get the top off for oiling?
Tiny instructions indicate to use top screw (none) or pry apart top of locomotive (looking at bottom of loco), but I don't want to destroy it, and haven't been able to open it anywhere I try to pry it open with screwdriver.

Any help on how 3106 appreicated.

Also have a 3095 (smaller steam) that's frozen; and I'm no mechanic. Any ideas on how I can "turn over" the engine or suggestions.
I've oiled, left a few days - engine lights on power, and you can hear it reverse on pulse - but guessing its seized as I can't even rotate wheels.
Any suggestions on fixing this "stuck" (due my neglect) likewise appreciated.

With thanks,

Chris g.
Melbourne, Australia.
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2012 16:36:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Chris,

There is a screw on the top of the boiler you have to undo. It is hidden under one of the domes, which you have to lift off.
RayF attached the following image(s):
3106.jpg
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 10 August 2012 16:41:50(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
For the 3095, it is best to take the motor apart completely. Take out the two brushes, then undo the two screws that hold the brush plate and remove. Once you've exposed the armature just pull it out. At this point you should be able to turn the wheels and the gears by putting a small amount of pressure on the wheels. Once they are free, give everything a good clean with some electrical solvent, and then put back together and oil lightly.
Ray
Offline Ian555  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2012 17:56:12(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline Renato  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2012 18:33:13(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

As you can see, on this forum you will found all the answers to your questions.

Have a successful maintenance to your locomotives.

Cheers

Renato
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Renato
Offline kweekalot  
#6 Posted : 10 August 2012 20:32:41(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum, it is also a fun place to be !!

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 11 August 2012 05:20:14(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: guiverc Go to Quoted Post
Just starting to rebuild a marklin layout that i've boxed away for 15-20 years.

Marklin steam loco 3106 - how do I get the top off for oiling?
Tiny instructions indicate to use top screw (none) or pry apart top of locomotive (looking at bottom of loco), but I don't want to destroy it, and haven't been able to open it anywhere I try to pry it open with screwdriver.

Any help on how 3106 appreicated.

Also have a 3095 (smaller steam) that's frozen; and I'm no mechanic. Any ideas on how I can "turn over" the engine or suggestions.
I've oiled, left a few days - engine lights on power, and you can hear it reverse on pulse - but guessing its seized as I can't even rotate wheels.
Any suggestions on fixing this "stuck" (due my neglect) likewise appreciated.

With thanks,

Chris g.
Melbourne, Australia.

Hi Chris, others have already (correctly) said to disassemble the motor, but if that is beyond your confidence at this stage you may be able to free it up with a little gentle persuasion.

You'll need the body off either way but if you can get a small jewellers screwdriver, you should be able to VERY carefully move the gears between the motor and the wheels. You want to try to avoid scratching the gears if you can, mainly because a scratch becomes a trap for dirt and it will build up there quicker than otherwise.

Place the tip of the blade between the gear teeth and a little bit of twisting should provide sufficient motion to free the dried lubricant. Above all AVOID the temptation to try to turn the motor from the wheels. Especially on Steam loco's because you can get the wheels out of 'quarter' - meaning their position relative to the opposite wheel, plus the wheels on the other axles.

At the very least if you can, do remove the two motor brushes because this will significantly reduce the friction, and you should know and practise how to remove/replace brushes anyway for normal maintenance. BigGrin

You'll only have to move the gears a small amount to free them enough for the motor to take over but you will need to put a SMALL amount of oil onto the gears and bearings asap.

Pity you didn't join us sooner, I only just returned to NZ from Melbourne last month after two years, I had the devils' own time trying to get together with others but we did manage a small get-together in January which was a lot of fun. Melbourne is a bit of a waste-land for Marklin sadly and travelling distances don't help. I'm sure there's plenty of enthusiasts there, they are just not on this forum - yet.

Good luck

Steve
Wellington
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 11 August 2012 13:08:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Chris, did my post help you at all?
Ray
Offline guiverc  
#9 Posted : 11 August 2012 17:07:19(UTC)
guiverc

Australia   
Thank you HEAPS RayF & others

Got the cover off the 3106 - it didn't pry off, so very glad I didn't force it. Never would have found that screw !!

On my other locos (not 3106) you put a tiny touch of oil in a reserve between the two brushes; the 3106 (newest of my locos) is different - with top off I wasn't able to work out where to put the oil anyway - RayF do you have another diagram for me by chance? on where oil goes inside engine? (or does it not need it?)

Haven't tried the 3095 yet - but thanks for details, will do it tomorrow or during next week. (thank you RayF, cookee_nz)

Thank you - heaps of very quick help - much appreciated, and yes I do feel welcome (kweekalot, renato, lan555)

Are 60030 brushes available anywhere?; an australian repair shop got back to me today and can supply certain parts (globes, tyres & power shoes/slides) but is unable to get any brushes for my old locos. Anyway this leads to a question

Cleaning brushes ?

As I recall, I cleaned the metal (copper?) brush in metho, can't remember what I did with the carbon brush - was it just wiped clean with a rag? suggestions?

Thank you all HEAPS.

Chris g.

(ps: cookee_nz - shame, my loss re: melbourne, am hoping to restore loco to use, that its just "dried" lube as you suggested!)
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 11 August 2012 18:22:39(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Chris,

"On my other locos (not 3106) you put a tiny touch of oil in a reserve between the two brushes; the 3106 (newest of my locos) is different - with top off I wasn't able to work out where to put the oil anyway - RayF do you have another diagram for me by chance? on where oil goes inside engine? (or does it not need it?)"

Just put a tiny drop of oil on the end bearings of the motor, as shown below.

"Are 60030 brushes available anywhere?; an australian repair shop got back to me today and can supply certain parts (globes, tyres & power shoes/slides) but is unable to get any brushes for my old locos"

The brushes are still available from Marklin. The part number has changed to E600300. They come in packs of 10. Your dealer should be able to get them with this part number.
RayF attached the following image(s):
oiling.JPG
Ray
Offline Webmaster  
#11 Posted : 11 August 2012 21:45:38(UTC)
Webmaster

The 3106 need the 601460 brushes though, since it has the DCM (Drum Commutator Motor).
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 11 August 2012 22:32:04(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline intruder  
#13 Posted : 12 August 2012 22:56:27(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Hi Chris.

Welcome from Norway, too!
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by intruder
Offline guiverc  
#14 Posted : 22 August 2012 17:30:44(UTC)
guiverc

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

re: 3095 that WAS stuck Crying

Thank you especially RayF & Cookee_NZ for help.

Took out brushes as you suggested RayF, removed screws & slowly (very carefully Confused ) took out parts until I could get wheels moving, and within a short period of times - they were moving very easily. Put parts back in and off the loco went around the track. LOL
Now the fastest loco I have (wondering if I should do same for other slow locos...)

Did everything except for electrical solvent, didn't have any [fresh, have some 10+ years old, but fearful it'd do more harm than good).
Regardless tank loco is running extremely well ThumpUp .

MUCH THANKS to all, esp. RayF & Cookee_nz ThumpUp

Chris g. BigGrin
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 22 August 2012 18:07:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
You're very welcome, Chris!

This is the beauty of this forum. If you have a problem someone here will know how to solve it for you!
Ray
Offline hennabm  
#16 Posted : 22 August 2012 23:24:55(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum.ThumpUp

The alternative to your dealer for brushes and all other usable spares is ebay.de. I have managed to get tyres and brushes from there for very reasonable prices and postage.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline cookee_nz  
#17 Posted : 23 August 2012 05:50:45(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: guiverc Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

re: 3095 that WAS stuck Crying

Thank you especially RayF & Cookee_NZ for help.

Took out brushes as you suggested RayF, removed screws & slowly (very carefully Confused ) took out parts until I could get wheels moving, and within a short period of times - they were moving very easily. Put parts back in and off the loco went around the track. LOL
Now the fastest loco I have (wondering if I should do same for other slow locos...)

Did everything except for electrical solvent, didn't have any [fresh, have some 10+ years old, but fearful it'd do more harm than good).
Regardless tank loco is running extremely well ThumpUp .

MUCH THANKS to all, esp. RayF & Cookee_nz ThumpUp

Chris g. BigGrin

Aww shucks Blushing Blushing ThumpUp
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz