Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sudibarba  
#1 Posted : 26 July 2012 04:46:14(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Finally, I have received 15 of the 74445 kits for C track turnouts. I have a CS2 of course. I have not looked at any of the manuals yet.
I will be buying more as I increase my layout soon.

Now, any pitfalls or things to look out for during my installation, would be great information if you would share it with me,.

Thanks,
Eric

Offline nevw  
#2 Posted : 26 July 2012 06:07:06(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Look at the coding chart, pick a number then set each decoder in turn. Noting the position where you are putting each decoder so you can place the correct address on the correct turnout.

IF you have a 3 way turnout, donot use 2 Marklin decoders but get one Viessmann double decoder. If you get a viessman one for the 3 way turnout the first address MUST be an ODD number.

They all work together I have a mix of M and V decoders.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline 3rail4life  
#3 Posted : 26 July 2012 08:51:15(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
The best tip I have learned from the forum regarding the turnout decoders is once you have set the address and installed the decoder place a sticker on the decoder right away indicating the number so you will not have to remove the decoder to check the address again as the fastening method to the turnout does not lend itself well to repeat installations. I have some decoders which no longer fit as snug they should and one damaged attachment point on a turnout where I had removed the decoder.

Overall I really like the 74445's, installation and configuring them is easy, the kits have made them a bit more affordable and we enjoy using them with the CS2, I too will be getting more as the layout comes together.

Gordon
Offline Xaurus  
#4 Posted : 19 August 2012 03:21:44(UTC)
Xaurus

Sweden   
Hi guys,

I've recently bought a few of these 74445 kits and are installing them, finished with 7 turnouts already. Please note that I use a MS2, not a CS2.

However, none of them will work. I have set them from address 10, 11 and so on.
The weird thing is that the 24624 cross-turnout which only needed a decoder, which I installed - worked.
So that one is the only one that works, but it had the lights and motor already installed...

What am I doing wrong? Note that all the lights are working, only no one will operate from the MS2 at their given address or any other address, I've tried several different.

I've looked over all of them again, the wiring is correct...

I took the "working" decoder from the 24624 and put it in the other turnouts, and to my surprise none of them worked.
When I placed it back in the 24624 it worked again.

All in all, this seems like a MS2 problem or something? I just don't get it.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: Sorry Eric for hijacking your thread, hope it's OK. :)

edit: I have factory reset my MS2 several times.

Edited by user 19 August 2012 11:44:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline HARNO  
#5 Posted : 19 August 2012 03:38:34(UTC)
HARNO

United States   
Hi xaurus

that sounds strange but i think this is not a MS2 problem. You say it works in your 24624 so it should work in every other turnout. Because its the decoder who works. You sure the wiring is correct not brown and red switched? Is any off the cables hitting on the mechanism from the turnout? i had that on one of mine. It couldn't switch. I have a MS2 and so far all of my decoders worked with the turnouts.
Does your other decoders work with the 24624?

Harno
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HARNO
H0
Offline arconell  
#6 Posted : 19 August 2012 19:29:23(UTC)
arconell

Hi Xaurus,

There are a few things you should check: first look at the wiring of decoder, double solenoid driver and the lantern, make sure it is all correct. Secondly, can you easily switch the turnout by hand, having the connecting rod of the driver move while you switch it? And last, there may be contact between the metal housing of the driver and the centre stud plate of the turnout, sometimes caused by either slight deformation of the housing or screws tightened too strongly. Take out the driver and put a piece of self adhesive tape on top, then screw it back in place.

Regards, Robert
Offline Xaurus  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2012 07:34:29(UTC)
Xaurus

Sweden   
Hi guys,

It's solved now, I think in the end the feeder track was the problem. Now everything works like it should.