Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shintaro  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2012 00:27:05(UTC)
Shintaro

Australia   
Hello everybody,

Me and my family will be travelling to South Australia (again) for a holiday in January 2013. A few days in Adelaide, then a week in Renmark.
My wife discovered the heritage railway whist doing a websearch, and I was wondering whether it would be a better idea to do a trip to Goolwa from Adelaide or Renmark? And if any S.A. members here have had a ride on the railway and have any comments or suggestions for it?
We're thinking Renmark as this is where my FiL resides (he loves his trains too).
Anyway were hoping for an excellent day out (in the far future).

Cheers.
Offline ac jacko  
#2 Posted : 09 July 2012 11:29:55(UTC)
ac jacko

The Marklin Club did a train on the 620 class from Mt Barker to Goolwa.. Then went on the steam boat to the barrage and back on the train down to Victor Harbour which follows the coast. Great views and only a 100 yards from the ocean. One of the best views.

http://www.steamranger.o...siast/guides/guide11.htm

Also check out peterbourgh for trains stuff up north from adelaide and also the Pichie Richie railway as being wet will be green as up that way

http://www.prr.org.au/cms/index.php

When down let us know as Last Sunday of the month club is open as well as the Model Engineers with their trains etc

Cheers Dale
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ac jacko
Offline DV  
#3 Posted : 10 July 2012 08:06:52(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Shintaro Go to Quoted Post
Hello everybody,

Me and my family will be travelling to South Australia (again) for a holiday in January 2013. A few days in Adelaide, then a week in Renmark.
My wife discovered the heritage railway whist doing a websearch, and I was wondering whether it would be a better idea to do a trip to Goolwa from Adelaide or Renmark? And if any S.A. members here have had a ride on the railway and have any comments or suggestions for it?
We're thinking Renmark as this is where my FiL resides (he loves his trains too).
Anyway were hoping for an excellent day out (in the far future).

Cheers.

Steam Ranger is quite a trip. From Mount Barker to Victor Harbor is the longest, and the Cockle Train is the shortest (that one goes from Goolwa to Victor harbor)

Unfortunately when you plan to come, none of the steam engines will be working - they will all be in for maintenance.

As Dale said, our club did a trip last September (2011) and we had a great time.

It was the birthday of the steam engine Duke of Edinburgh ( 75 years old, a 4-6-2 Pacific) and we travelled down to Goolwa and then went on the steam paddle steamer Oscar W and then back on the Duke of Edinburgh for a fast run down to Victor.

Here's a video I took as we crossed the Currency Creek Viaduct.

A few pictures of the train and travellers.

UserPostedImage

One of the members had to answer his phone as the picture was taken.

UserPostedImage

In Goolwa

UserPostedImage

Oscar W steam paddle steamer

UserPostedImage

From Oscar W

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

In Victor Harbor

UserPostedImage

Letting off steam

Even though it will be only diesels and railcars, I'm sure you'll have a great ride.

Also as Dale said, our club rooms will be open on the last Sunday of January (27/1), or if you are coming earlier, we also have a Friday meeting night on the 11/1.

PM us for details on how to get to our club rooms, we just might open them up for youBigGrin . You might want to bring something to run on the club layout as well (it is 10m x 4m digital or analog)ThumpUp ThumpUp

Sorry if I hijacked your thread Smile Smile Smile Smile

Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline ac jacko  
#4 Posted : 10 July 2012 13:35:25(UTC)
ac jacko

Dusan great vid and photos and I forgot about the fire season

Regards Dale
Offline Shintaro  
#5 Posted : 17 July 2012 12:39:15(UTC)
Shintaro

Australia   
Hi Dale,

Thanks for the information, everything helps to make memorable trip.

Cheers.
Offline Shintaro  
#6 Posted : 17 July 2012 12:41:08(UTC)
Shintaro

Australia   

Hi Dusan,

Awesome pictures, thanks alot for sharing - it helps "convince" my wife to spend alot of time on these events, lol.
The vid was great too.

It's sad to hear that the magic of steam won't be in operation, but a ride on diesel will be great too.

Its a pleasure to be invited to your clubroom, but I will not be in SA at the right time - the dates for my trip are 15th - 23rd Jan.

And a thread hijack is more than welcomed.BigGrin

Cheers.
Offline DV  
#7 Posted : 17 July 2012 13:28:33(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Shintaro Go to Quoted Post

Hi Dusan,

Awesome pictures, thanks alot for sharing - it helps "convince" my wife to spend alot of time on these events, lol.
The vid was great too.

It's sad to hear that the magic of steam won't be in operation, but a ride on diesel will be great too.

Its a pleasure to be invited to your clubroom, but I will not be in SA at the right time - the dates for my trip are 15th - 23rd Jan.

And a thread hijack is more than welcomed.BigGrin

Cheers.

Contact either myself or Dale, we won't have a problem in opening up the club rooms, if you can fit it in your itinerary. And as I've said before, bring something to run and bring the kid(s)
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'