Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Artologic  
#1 Posted : 07 July 2012 17:18:45(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey Everyone,

Not feeling like doing stuff on my old marklin material, I went digital today. That is until this happened: I put my V365 (sub version of a v60), which has a dcm motor version. It ran oddly (fast slow), so i did a quick maintainance on it. Cleaning the collector, motorshield and changing the brushes, everything looked fine. That was until I put the controller up to 150 or higher. Without the housing the stutter restarted and after a good look, I saw the sparks on the collector simply forming a line and going round, spreading an awful smell. Now the question is, what is going on and more important what can I do to solve it?

Kristof
Offline Chris6382chris  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2012 17:54:30(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Is it possible that when you cleaned the motor you got oil and small pieces of of the brushes all over the rotor and that the gaps in the rotor are being shorted out?

Chris
Offline Artologic  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2012 18:38:29(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey Chris,

I checked, the gaps were clean (they were before cleaning the problem too). Thanks for thinking with me

Kristof
Offline Hoffmann  
#4 Posted : 07 July 2012 20:41:41(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hi.

I am sure one of the segments is shorting out . Which means that one of the windings is diconnected from the communtator ( 5 Pole Armature only 4 working ) or ( 3 Pole armature only 2 working ).

Use a Magnifying Glass to see if 1 of the Wires have come of the communtator.

Martin
marklin-eh
Offline Artologic  
#5 Posted : 07 July 2012 20:44:33(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey Martin,

Thanks for the reply, I ll check it out. Just one question, if one of the 3 armatures isn t working, shouldn t i see this when the loco is running slow?

Kristof
Offline kbvrod  
#6 Posted : 07 July 2012 21:21:49(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Kristof,did the model work before the conversion?Check what Martin suggested,see it the commuter wire is disconnected.

Dr D
Offline Artologic  
#7 Posted : 07 July 2012 23:34:11(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey Dr D,

The loco worked before, but I barely ran it. It still works now too. I ll look it up when I have more light :-)

Kristof

Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 08 July 2012 02:44:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Check the spring that holds the brush in position. If this is pressing too hard on the brush, it can cause it to spark.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Artologic  
#9 Posted : 08 July 2012 15:37:37(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey Everyone,

I just checked it out, but didn t find anything wrong with the collector wiring. I also adjusted the spring on the brush tension a bit, so it s not pushing that hard.
Anyway, I replaced the anchor, since I found nothing wrong and I have some left from conversions. The problem looks solved now...

@Mike C, thanks for the helping too :-)

Kristof

Ps: It s a pity the 60760 set can t be used for this loco...
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 08 July 2012 16:07:06(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Kristof and others,

When cleaning the armature you have to be very very careful not to break the tiny wires going to the commutator.
I've cleaned it many times and noticed the commutator can move forwards or backwards.
so when cleaning the suface of the commutator you only put certain pressure onto it and remind yourself the part is moving or can move.
Since I've installed ballbearings, this side of the armature has no longer to be serviced or oiled which helps the life span of the commutator much longer.
Another advice is given, when cleaning the gaps is to use very fine sandpaper (1200) and sand the gaps down in case you've lifted the thin copper surface and this in turn can ruin the brushes.
Sofar the qwires are concerend you always have 2 wires coming to commutator and it isn't clearly visible unless you know what you're looking for.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Artologic  
#11 Posted : 10 July 2012 22:43:31(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey John,

I have noticed that myself a few times too. But never with a drum collector motor, only with the flat collectors. I m always careful when handeling a rotor from a motor. For the gaps between the motor i use the back side of a hobby knife, works great to clean out stuff. The problem with the surface itself, I haven t noticed before.

Thanks for the advice,

Kristof