Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages<12345>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline French_Fabrice  
#101 Posted : 22 April 2012 20:15:28(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello all,

Most of my week of holidays was spent in wiring the 5 upper level plates.
Some of us gave me great feedback at the beginning of my project about the wiring...but the reality is it is far from perfectMellow ...Let say it's acceptable, but for the perfection you'll have to wait for me to be retiredBored.

I've tried each plate hasn't "free" wires crossing the plate boundary. For that I've used connectors you can find in PC (from 4 to 10 connections).

A few shots, as usual

Behind the scene...
UserPostedImage
Yeah, quite a bunch of wires...
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

The computer command center... Today, 12 locos (without wagons) run in automatic mode...
UserPostedImage
The upper level with signals and light masts...
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Next step: finish the little bit of wiring, and start ballasting...

Cheers
Fabrice

Edited by user 17 June 2014 15:21:04(UTC)  | Reason: re-uploaded pictures

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline petestra  
#102 Posted : 22 April 2012 21:30:19(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Fabrice, wow you're wiring is very neat. Great photos,layout is progressing nicely.Where's Lily?Woot
Isn't she helping you today?
PeterThumpUp Smile
Offline French_Fabrice  
#103 Posted : 23 April 2012 17:45:13(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Where's Lily?Woot
Isn't she helping you today?
PeterThumpUp Smile

She has played a bit with the various electric wire coils, and I've gently asked her to stop (with no answerConfused )
Laugh
Cheers
Fabrice
Offline steventrain  
#104 Posted : 24 April 2012 07:52:31(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very good.

Lots of wiring.Scared
Largest marklinist Layout with Centrail station 2/Mobile station 2/60174 boosters/C-Tracks/K-Tracks/Favorites class BR01, BR23, BR50/Insider Club membership since 2004.
Offline GlennM  
#105 Posted : 24 April 2012 09:48:19(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Fabrice,

great looking layout, looking at your raised section, I think it will withhold the weight of any train and to compare my supports with yours, mine is still standing and holding up after 35 years and this is with hot glue not wood glue but its always better to overdue it, than as pointed out, having problems down the track so to speak.

Your cat needs a night out or had too many late nights.

You rail connectors: I assume you connect them to a S88 detection module and the rail connectors on the this side are the ground connectors.
Lot of modelers install blocksystems, which is ok but it doesn't give you any guarantee of a free accident scenario; e.g. a train looses some carriages, in this case in the siding with 3 tracks. a train will not enter any siding track if there are any carraiges detected.
Detecting carriages or a loco is by isolating one rail and this is easely done with k-tracks, The S88 detects if there is anything on the track (AC wheels are detected).

regards.,

John

John / Anyone,

This is the first time I have come across this subject and would like to know more, do you know of any sites on line with an English explanation and wiring diagrams to make this work? Can it also be done with M and C track? How does it work, when a rogue item is found within a block section does it prevent access to that block section or does it shut the whole network down?

As I am still planning my layout it would be useful to include such electrical items at the panning stage.

Many thanks

Mr A Luddite
Offline French_Fabrice  
#106 Posted : 24 April 2012 19:00:29(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post
Fabrice,

great looking layout, looking at your raised section, I think it will withhold the weight of any train and to compare my supports with yours, mine is still standing and holding up after 35 years and this is with hot glue not wood glue but its always better to overdue it, than as pointed out, having problems down the track so to speak.

You rail connectors: I assume you connect them to a S88 detection module and the rail connectors on the this side are the ground connectors.
Lot of modelers install blocksystems, which is ok but it doesn't give you any guarantee of a free accident scenario; e.g. a train looses some carriages, in this case in the siding with 3 tracks. a train will not enter any siding track if there are any carraiges detected.
Detecting carriages or a loco is by isolating one rail and this is easely done with k-tracks, The S88 detects if there is anything on the track (AC wheels are detected).

regards.,

John

John / Anyone,

This is the first time I have come across this subject and would like to know more, do you know of any sites on line with an English explanation and wiring diagrams to make this work? Can it also be done with M and C track? How does it work, when a rogue item is found within a block section does it prevent access to that block section or does it shut the whole network down?

As I am still planning my layout it would be useful to include such electrical items at the panning stage.

Many thanks

Mr A Luddite

Hi,

A few links which can be helpful :

In the two latest, you'll find some infos on connecting S88 to contact tracks/reed contacts/switching tracks. All these tracks are (were for M tracks) available for K & C tracks.
Finally, when a rogue item still occupies a block section (let's say a wagon hasn't started with the train previously occupying this block section), the contact at the corresponding S88 input hasn't changed of status. After that, it depends on the way you handle the S88 info...If you operate through a computer connected to a CS, then you have all the possibilities available : stop all, close the faulty block only, etc...If you operate more manually, then you'll have to setup maybe more devices but I'm not fluent on the manual mode, so other members may provide you with more accurate answers.

HTH
Fabrice
Offline GlennM  
#107 Posted : 25 April 2012 15:37:16(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post
Fabrice,

regards.,

John

John / Anyone,

Many thanks

Mr A Luddite

Hi,

A few links which can be helpful :

In the two latest, you'll find some infos on connecting S88 to contact tracks/reed contacts/switching tracks. All these tracks are (were for M tracks) available for K & C tracks.
Finally, when a rogue item still occupies a block section (let's say a wagon hasn't started with the train previously occupying this block section), the contact at the corresponding S88 input hasn't changed of status. After that, it depends on the way you handle the S88 info...If you operate through a computer connected to a CS, then you have all the possibilities available : stop all, close the faulty block only, etc...If you operate more manually, then you'll have to setup maybe more devices but I'm not fluent on the manual mode, so other members may provide you with more accurate answers.

HTH
Fabrice

Fabrice

That is a great response. I can now read around this subject.

Many thanks

Glenn
Offline French_Fabrice  
#108 Posted : 20 May 2012 20:44:32(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello fans,

Progress is slow this time, but results are becoming nice.

After struggling with my defective signals, I've setup the roundhouse locomotive shed and the beginning of automatic motion with the turntable.
Very nice leds illuminating inside (sodium light color like).

A few shots:
UserPostedImage
Closer...
UserPostedImage
Three old ladies waiting for carrying goods or people...
UserPostedImage
Closer...3048, 3310 and 3684...all upgraded with LokpilotV4
UserPostedImage

Cheers
fabrice

Edited by user 17 June 2014 15:25:36(UTC)  | Reason: re-uploaded pictures

Offline BrandonVA  
#109 Posted : 24 May 2012 14:22:30(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Looks great!

-Brandon
Offline Danlake  
#110 Posted : 24 May 2012 15:35:02(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Well done Fabrice!

Looks like to a be fun layout to run. 12 trains in auto modeThumpUp

Brgds- Lasse
Digital 8m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS2 60214 / Train Controller Gold
Offline petestra  
#111 Posted : 24 May 2012 15:54:56(UTC)
petestra

United States   
The layout is looking super, Fabrice. Hope all the problems are solvable now. PeterThumpUp Smile
Offline NewMB  
#112 Posted : 24 May 2012 17:29:55(UTC)
NewMB

Germany   
Now that looks fantastic!!
Offline steventrain  
#113 Posted : 24 May 2012 19:06:58(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Look very good.ThumpUp
Largest marklinist Layout with Centrail station 2/Mobile station 2/60174 boosters/C-Tracks/K-Tracks/Favorites class BR01, BR23, BR50/Insider Club membership since 2004.
Offline VinceHerman  
#114 Posted : 25 May 2012 03:58:40(UTC)
VinceHerman

United States   
Hi Fabrice,
Your planning and neatness is incredible.
What ribbon wire did you use for the s88 wiring? That is exactly what I want to do with our layout. I was considering using network cable, but the ribbon looks so clean.
Vince
Offline Chris6382chris  
#115 Posted : 25 May 2012 04:32:24(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Fabrice it is really looking great. Love the Locomotive Shed and Turntable.
Offline French_Fabrice  
#116 Posted : 25 May 2012 17:20:44(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
@all : many thanks for your congratulationsBigGrin

@VinceHerman: I've used this cable : http://www.electronique-...35&products_id=83561
Even if you don't read french, you may get the essential info. Try to find an electronic parts dealer close to you, and order what is fitted to your need.

I'd like to add some remarks, regarding wiring of lot of sensors.
1) Ribbon wire is expensive (in my case, 7.5 € / meter). If you have an important layout, wiring cost may increase much more than expected
2) In "classic" use of S88, it is recommended the S88 are as close as possible of the CS. This approach is the one I've used, because a) that was the only one I knew, b) my layout is not very big.
3) But...I've read, either in this forum or other forums or in some more "advanced" guides, that the 6 wire flat ribbon used to connect the S88 together and to the CS must be as short as possible, because this bus is very sensitive to noise. So, in case of very long wiring, there may be an other solution: Use the improved version of the S88, i.e. the S88-N.
http://www.opendcc.de/s88/s88_n/s88-n_e.html
Some specialized companies provide this kind of device. The one I know is LDT: Have a look there : http://www.ldt-infocente...english/home_frame_e.htm and search for S88-N devices.
The "pros" of using such devices are :
-You put a S88N close to the tracks where sensors are, i.e reduce the cable length from each sensor to the S88N input
-You link all S88N together with standard shielded ethernet cable (much cheaper that flat ribbon cable) and above all not sensitive to noise and allowing comfortable length
-The last S88N (close to the CS) use the 6-wire cable provided to connect to the CS2
-Price is in the same range as of Viessmann 5217

I personally didn't experiment such a solution, because of 2a) and 2b). But when I will plan for a larger layout, I will certainly experiment this solution.
Maybe some others members may provide you more information for this type of solution, if it fits your needs.

HTH
Fabrice
Offline jvuye  
#117 Posted : 25 May 2012 19:38:58(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Amazing progress...Blink
Where do you find the time to work? BigGrin
I'll have to come and check this one out one of these days! Laugh
Bravo!
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learning to be better and had great success!
Offline French_Fabrice  
#118 Posted : 25 May 2012 20:03:07(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
You know you are welcome, Jacques !Smile

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline river6109  
#119 Posted : 25 May 2012 23:33:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Fabrice,

And I thought my wiring was coming from a spaghetti market.

John
http://www.youtube.com/river6109
http://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Laxman  
#120 Posted : 29 May 2012 14:22:36(UTC)
Laxman

United States   
Vince

With regard to ribbon cable see this website (asapwire.com)

asapwire.com

I ordered the 25 foot 16 ribbon cable and could easily divide it into two 8 cable sections to use to hook up the M switch boxes for analog control of switches.

It does not look like they still carry the 25 foot rolls but they do have the 100 foot in various number of cables.

I think that it does make the wiring neater.

Offline French_Fabrice  
#121 Posted : 15 June 2012 22:22:30(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello fans,

Some news of the layout...

Because of having too much problems with M light signals, I've decided to remove them. After experimenting, my choice is done with Viessmann multiplex signals (472x series) which have a very close look to M signals, complemented by Vie5229 MM/DCC decoders.

This implies some new investment Crying ... and also to rewire the upper layer with removal of all upper tracks Bored. Before starting the works, I've taken my plan to update it, and as a natural consequence Mad , I've decided to modify a bit some tracks to add playabilityBlink.

The first variation add another line in the background, totally hide the descending ramp, and modify the switches on the right side of the station.
Here is the new plan:
UserPostedImage

But I'm also tempted to add more, with a second variation:
UserPostedImage

That's difficult to stay reasonable ...Cool
I'm still hesitating between first and second variation...The second implies more works as the plates are already adjusted and need 3 cm more width...

Stay tuned...
Cheers
Fabrice

Edited by user 17 June 2014 15:32:38(UTC)  | Reason: re-uploaded pictures

Offline French_Fabrice  
#122 Posted : 06 July 2012 20:16:16(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello all,

Finally, level 3 will be as shown below:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

3 of 5 "level 3" plates are now resized, and all the previous wiring of level 3 has been wiped Crying.

Some "complementary" rework is also planned:
- As previously said, all M 763xx signals are replaced with 472x Viessmann signals and 5229 decoders.
- Simplify the wiring of level 3 plates by minimizing the number of cables (idea is to propagate mainly the 4 power wires from one plate to another). To get rid of feedback wires coming close to the CS2, I've changed the technology and I'm ready to use S88N feedback devices provided by LDT. These devices are equivalent to S88/VIE5217 but each device can be connected to an other one thru shielded ethernet cable. So, no more 60 feedback cables coming to the CS2 but only 2 ethernet cables connected to a splitter (DSW88N), the latest connected to the CS2 by a (short) traditional 6 pin cable. So, all feedback has to be totally rewired (including also level 1 & 2).

I'll have some work to do during holidays Wink

Cheers
fabrice

Edited by user 17 June 2014 15:34:54(UTC)  | Reason: re-uploaded pictures

Offline petestra  
#123 Posted : 06 July 2012 22:05:09(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Looks great, Fabrice. PeterThumpUp Smile
Offline Ian555  
#124 Posted : 07 July 2012 07:10:39(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Fabrice,

Great progress on your layout. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline French_Fabrice  
#125 Posted : 07 August 2012 20:34:20(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello fans,

Evolution is done. All wiring updated... and it runs perfectly !BigGrin

Here is the result...

UserPostedImage
New synoptic from the command PC

UserPostedImage
Much less wires

UserPostedImage
...but more command devices

UserPostedImage
Ribbon of LEDs added to the lower levels

UserPostedImage
Wiring ... general overview

UserPostedImage
Station from one side

UserPostedImage
Switching tower

UserPostedImage
From an other angle

UserPostedImage
Sidings

UserPostedImage
Fuel depot

UserPostedImage
Ascending ramp and hidden stations

UserPostedImage
Turntable

UserPostedImage
Station from the other side

UserPostedImage
Station from rear

UserPostedImage
Final overview

Now, it's time to start tunnels and a bit of scenery...

Cheers
Fabrice

Edited by user 17 June 2014 15:54:24(UTC)  | Reason: re-uploaded pictures

Offline petestra  
#126 Posted : 07 August 2012 22:00:41(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Just excellent, Fabrice. The layout will be a-lot of fun to operate as I can tell by the wiring plan.
Looking forward to your first video. PeterThumpUp Smile
Offline jvuye  
#127 Posted : 08 August 2012 05:20:00(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Looks fantastic and I know that when you say "Works perfectly" you're not kidding!
Bravo!
We'll have to "play trains" one of these days!
Cheers
Offline TrainIride  
#128 Posted : 08 August 2012 06:50:58(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Hi Fabrice,

you've done a nice work !

Regards
Joël
Marklin HO - M track & C track - Analog mode - DC locos conversion to AC - http://www.marklin-users.net/TrainIride - my channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/2mes2mains
Offline steventrain  
#129 Posted : 08 August 2012 07:26:51(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Good work, Fabrice.
Offline Ian555  
#130 Posted : 08 August 2012 08:37:47(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Fabrice,

Excellent work. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline GlennM  
#131 Posted : 08 August 2012 11:09:32(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   

Fabrice,

Lots of hard work has gone into the layout so far, and it looks great.

BR

Glenn
Offline Johnvr  
#132 Posted : 08 August 2012 19:34:47(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Fabrice,

Looks absolutely fantastic.
Many hours of fun ahead !!

Regards,BigGrin
John
Offline kweekalot  
#133 Posted : 08 August 2012 20:04:31(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Fabrice,

What a super beautiful mult level big layout !!
And your cat is also great!!
I wish I had a bit more space for a slightly bigger layout than I have now...

Marco
Offline intruder  
#134 Posted : 08 August 2012 22:31:40(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Thanks for all the nice photos of you great layout, Fabrice.

A big inspiration for me to go on with my layout.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline foumaro  
#135 Posted : 09 August 2012 05:20:47(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Very nice,i like the long straight sections,you can run great train consists.
Offline French_Fabrice  
#136 Posted : 09 August 2012 06:29:05(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Thanks to all !

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline Shintaro  
#137 Posted : 09 August 2012 07:59:46(UTC)
Shintaro

Australia   
Hi Fabrice.

Great work!! Thanks for the excellent pictures of every angle and view point.

Cheers.
Offline French_Fabrice  
#138 Posted : 14 August 2012 12:43:19(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi,

Scenery is starting...Catenary, walls, painting, weathering, etc...So much to do !

A few shots of the ongoing works:
UserPostedImage
The ramp...
UserPostedImage
The repair shed
UserPostedImage
The coal depot
UserPostedImage
Water pumps
UserPostedImage
E94 taking the ramp...

Stay tuned...
Cheers
fabrice

Edited by user 17 June 2014 16:03:14(UTC)  | Reason: re-uploaded pictures

Offline petestra  
#139 Posted : 14 August 2012 14:40:40(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Very nice photos, Fabrice. The layout is lookin' good! PeterThumpUp Smile
Offline Ian555  
#140 Posted : 14 August 2012 16:13:40(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Fabrice,

Nice work.ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline steventrain  
#141 Posted : 14 August 2012 16:32:35(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Looking good.
Offline hennabm  
#142 Posted : 14 August 2012 16:55:27(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Fabrice

I like seeing layouts as the scenery goes in. Your work looks top classThumpUp

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Superlampster  
#143 Posted : 14 August 2012 20:38:36(UTC)
Superlampster

Sweden   
Fabrice,

it´s looking really nice, I will/and have followed this thread for some time now, keep up the good work !

Regards Henrik
Offline RayF  
#144 Posted : 14 August 2012 21:16:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Good work, Fabrice! ThumpUp
Ray

Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#145 Posted : 14 August 2012 22:25:33(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

I have just reviewed this topic for the first time. You did a great job, Fabrice, even if it is not always an easy task with K-tracks. Congratulations.

Pierre.
Offline jvuye  
#146 Posted : 15 August 2012 05:46:54(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Mmmmmh!
It really starts to look like something!!
Good job on the catenary too...!
Cheers
Offline French_Fabrice  
#147 Posted : 15 August 2012 06:16:14(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Thanks to all !

Cheers
F
Offline NZMarklinist  
#148 Posted : 15 August 2012 07:08:14(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
I'm over awed by your wiring Fabrice. ThumpUp but for myself Scared However the layout is looking fanatstic, wish I'd discovered this thread earlier Smile

For those of you looking for a ready MRR source of multi coloured ribbon cables Brawa has them Wink lots of different colour combo varieties and cross sections for different jobs. ThumpUp
P/N; 8 core 0.14mmsq- 5m #3188 (5.87eu not incl Mwst at LS) / 50m #3189 (56.25eu not incl, only a small volume discount Glare ) Ok for S88 signals I hope, at least, as I've used it as the wiring bus for my modules
Lokshop stocks most of them Wink

Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Rinus  
#149 Posted : 17 August 2012 23:48:45(UTC)
Rinus

Hi fabrice,

Im impressed by your PC steering! Is it working OK?

I began programming in Rocrail recently. Any tips?

I'll try to re-use my Uhlenbrock Lissy transmitters instead of contact rail.

Good luck with the ballasting!Smile

Rinus
Offline French_Fabrice  
#150 Posted : 18 August 2012 17:40:10(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Originally Posted by: Rinus Go to Quoted Post
Hi fabrice,

Im impressed by your PC steering! Is it working OK?

I began programming in Rocrail recently. Any tips?

I'll try to re-use my Uhlenbrock Lissy transmitters instead of contact rail.

Good luck with the ballasting!Smile

Rinus

Hi Rinus,

The synoptics works fine ! But, what's more impressive is the automatic mode !
A useful feature is the automatic generation of routes ("Analyze" in "File" menu). After that, review all routes generated if they fit your needs (I have approx. 100 routes generated).
Each route can be tuned in terms of speed. In case you adjust route speed, you'll have to re-check to "Reduce speed" check box if you want multi-aspect signals to set "yellow" when switches are thrown.
It's really a great software !ThumpUp

Thanks for your encouragement for ballasting, but before I have to change two defective switches (bad electric contact, even after cleaning Crying ).

Cheers
Fabrice