Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages«<91011
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hennabm  
#501 Posted : 06 July 2013 06:28:40(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Marco and Kimball

Many thanksThumpUp

I have enjoyed all of getting it to this point. Yesterday evening all was running well and today will prove if it is up to exhibition days.

Many thanks to all that have helped with advise and guidance over the past 20 months or so - without your support I wouldn't have got to this point - not yet anyway.RollEyes

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline Janne75  
#502 Posted : 06 July 2013 12:07:31(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Mike,

Nice work in such a relatively short time ThumpUp . I read through all these pages starting at yesterday evening and ending in this morning (around 4:30 AM) Wink . I had not realised before that there is so big radius curved M-tracks (3900). Ian must have used these in his layout(s), but I had not read or watch the pictures so well. Good choice for the outer mainline. I use myself C-track and most of my outer mainline curved tracks are R5 (24530) and inner mainline R4 (24430). These 3900 M-track curves radius are maybe close to these then? Confused

You have very well planned tracks and layout roads and streets. At my layout there is not possible to have a railway crossing as the tracks go so near the walls and there is so many curves or bridge sections. There is no access for vehicles to go in the inner part of my tracks if I don't make a small tunnel for them to go under the raised section of my tracks. You instead have a very good "working" roadworks so your little helpers can come to work and after a hard working day drive home BigGrin .

You made your layout ready in your time schedule. That is very good as many of us either don't have a layout, plan for years to make one or has started to build one, but it takes a long time (like in my case RollEyes ). Ian maybe helped you to stay in your time schedule as he often reminded about the clock that is ticking... Smile

Some people have big plans regarding layout building and those plans can be even too big to make ever ready. Or too big layouts that will not ever be ready or at least the scenery work is not ever completely ready (if it will even never be?). You seem to be a guy who do things also and not only plan to do them. It must now be a pleasure to run your collections locos and many long coaches on the long straight tracks and that long bridge. You also made the powered catenary so you can run many analog locos (six if I'm right?) at the same time. If you have as many trasformers to do that. Every insulated track section from catenary or track.

When I read through this thread I just started thinking how can you access your rolling stock if they derail inside the tunnel?

Best regards,
Janne

Edited by user 06 July 2013 12:13:59(UTC)  | Reason: Typos as usually...

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline hennabm  
#503 Posted : 07 July 2013 19:08:08(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Janne

Thanks for the post.ThumpUp

I will give a full account of the open weekend on my other thread as well as posting pictures here of my collection in operation.

I will also answer more fully when I get thetime to check the books to see the raius of the 3900 series.

Anyway the tunnel is totally lift off, giving direct access to the track.BigGrin

3 main loops with opverhead and track paower separate giving 6 transformers and six engines in operation. Then the goods yard ia on another transformer making seven. Finally the brewery yard and 5120 series are also on a separate circuit giving up to 8 engines mobile at once Scared

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Janne75  
#504 Posted : 07 July 2013 19:35:25(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Mike,

Good choice to have possibility to lift the tunnel up as it is quite long one. You must really have more loco drivers to be able to run eight locos at the same time! ThumpUp What a analog layout you have. There can be much action at the same time on the tracks if wanted. I have a digital layout and sometimes there are two trains running on the both mainline tracks at the upper level of my layout. Then two trains running on the lower level. So six at the same time is the maximum to be well controllable and just watch + enjoy. There is possibilities to run more locos at track yard etc. but I mean six is the maximum to just adjust the speeds to approximately equal for both locos per track and just enjoy the looks, sounds and smoke of them RollEyes .

I just made some Google search for the track radius:

3900 M-track radius 586 mm
24430 C-track radius 579,3 mm (R4)
24530 C-track radius 643,6 mm (R5)

So your 3900 is closest to R4 C-track and has just a little more radius than that.

I'm looking forward to see your collection and videos.

Cheers,
Janne
Offline hennabm  
#505 Posted : 07 July 2013 20:25:39(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Janne

Thanks for the info.ThumpUp

Yes to have 6 or 8 engines running I need at least two or three engine drivers. If running by myself I can have three running, one on each circuit and then be in the goods yard or brewery.BigGrin

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline hennabm  
#506 Posted : 23 September 2013 19:33:12(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

Since the open day in July then there has been a ittle work adding lamps and things to the layout, but nothing more.

The big happening has been the arrival of the trailer to transport it in.

UserPostedImage

It is now at the supplier having the rails and the stops fitted to allow the modules to travel flat and secure.
It has opening doors rather than a roller shutter at the rear, so it gives more height in the doorway.

Once this is done there will be a trial fit and the applications made for Rushden and EurospoorThumpUp

Mike

The only problem at the moment is that I don't have space to park itBlushing Blushing Blushing
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline BrandonVA  
#507 Posted : 23 September 2013 20:07:51(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Mike,

Looks good!

You hauling that with your BMW? LOL

How do you protect your lamp masts, cantary, etc? Do you have something in place, or just careful handling?

-Brandon
Offline hennabm  
#508 Posted : 23 September 2013 21:45:35(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Brandon

ThanksThumpUp

Yes my 320 or 116 could be used to haul it or the Fiat Grande Punto as they all have towbars.

The only one that doesn't is the 323i.Wink

My plan is initially careful handling and see how that goes. I do have a stock of spare masts for such events.

Mike

1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline GlennM  
#509 Posted : 24 September 2013 12:47:49(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
Hi all

Since the open day in July then there has been a ittle work adding lamps and things to the layout, but nothing more.

The big happening has been the arrival of the trailer to transport it in.

UserPostedImage

It is now at the supplier having the rails and the stops fitted to allow the modules to travel flat and secure.
It has opening doors rather than a roller shutter at the rear, so it gives more height in the doorway.

Once this is done there will be a trial fit and the applications made for Rushden and EurospoorThumpUp

Mike

The only problem at the moment is that I don't have space to park itBlushing Blushing Blushing

Mike,

Looking good!!!!!

Are you really planning to do Eurospoor next year? Going to be excellent if you do. You may need the services of the Ubergrupenloksfurher again?

BR

Glenn

PS To all my German speaking Forum members I know it is not spelt correctly, nor is it a possibly a real word Blink
Offline hennabm  
#510 Posted : 25 September 2013 10:54:52(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Glenn

With the help of Marco I am going to apply for 2014. We'll see if they accept.

I will definitly need the Ubergrupenloksfurher again if I am acceptedThumpUp

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline BrandonVA  
#511 Posted : 25 September 2013 14:07:34(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Hi Brandon

My plan is initially careful handling and see how that goes. I do have a stock of spare masts for such events.

Mike

Mike,

It sounds like you have a plan, I am sure you will make it ok. In the US we wouldn't ever do something reasonable like towing anything with an E30. We'd need at least a 3/4 ton truck and 200 gallons of diesel, even if the payload were only a few hundred lbs ;)

I have seen some guys who take two modules, "sandwich" them together and connect them at the ends with plywood held on with bolts. The plywood is long enough to allow a cavity between the two modules so the scenery/cantary/etc does not touch the module it is sandwiched with. Basically, bottoms out, tops facing each other. They could connect the plywood to one module, then flip it over (the plywood would prevent it touching the ground), and then slide it over the other module to bolt that one in.

However, this would only work if two modules could be managed weight-wise, and if at least one of them didn't mind being 100% inverted.

How do you plan to transport the models and trains?

I also wanted to ask - your grass sheet, I like it a lot. What product is that? Is it Faller? Does it shed much?

-Brandon

Offline hennabm  
#512 Posted : 25 September 2013 15:09:50(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Brandon

I am having shelving installed into the trailer so the modules will slide in and along and up against stops just far enough in to keep them secure once the doors are closed.

The trains will be in their boxes and in cardboard boxes and store in the trunk of the car.
The models are going to put in boxes with foam cuts contained within to protect them. I have a furniture maker nearby that I will be visiting soon to purchase the foam from.

The grass mats are indeed Faller. Initial shedding seems to be over and after a couple of "vacuums" the shedding has died off.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline GlennM  
#513 Posted : 27 September 2013 13:55:05(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Hi Glenn

With the help of Marco I am going to apply for 2014. We'll see if they accept.

I will definitly need the Ubergrupenloksfurher again if I am acceptedThumpUp

Mike

Mike,

If you do go and you need help towing we could always pull it behind the Range Rover. It also has a cavernous interior for all the other items you may need to take such as tool kits, spare items and the like.

See you tomorrow at Ian's. Woot Woot Woot

BR

Glenn
Offline hennabm  
#514 Posted : 07 December 2013 14:11:45(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

It's been a while but in the time I have bought a trailer and finally last weekend brought it homeBigGrin

I have had some work done inside to secure the modules well.

As can be seen from the pcictures the two main modules will be slid in on the racking. The modules will then be bolted to the side frames to make them secure.

UserPostedImage

All I have to do now is get the modules in one by one and drill through the wood and metal.

The smaller modules will be screwed to framework on the base of the trailer.

UserPostedImage

The plan is then to surround the boards with upholstery foam. This will also be used in the building boxes to keep them separate and away from damage.

So guess who's going to be this Christmas holiday timeWink The first show is April in Rushden. Tick tock......LOL

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline Ian555  
#515 Posted : 07 December 2013 15:31:36(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Mike,

Looks a very neat and tidy job. ThumpUp

You will need to check the trailer tyre pressures when running with very little weight on board so as not to have the trailer bouncing around when moving, talking from experience here, the Firebirds trailer when empty really "dances" about, this was helped a lot by reducing tyre pressures.

All the best.

Ian.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline kweekalot  
#516 Posted : 07 December 2013 18:18:45(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Mike,
Wow, your trailer looks very professional. ThumpUp
(I'm green of jealousy).

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline hennabm  
#517 Posted : 07 December 2013 19:37:27(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Ian and Marco

ThanksThumpUp and thanks for the tip IanWink

The trailer is an Ivor Williams trailer - quite a popular make in the UK and bought through one of their local agents. This agent then adapted the inside to my requirements with all the racking.

The racking long grey bars are adjustable for width and held to the cross poles by exhaust clampsWink

The front brace is bolted across the trailer so I can't push the modules in too far. However the bars are removable should I need to fetch a new freezer/washing machine/sofa etcRazz

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline river6109  
#518 Posted : 08 December 2013 02:01:57(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Ian555 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mike,

Looks a very neat and tidy job. ThumpUp

You will need to check the trailer tyre pressures when running with very little weight on board so as not to have the trailer bouncing around when moving, talking from experience here, the Firebirds trailer when empty really "dances" about, this was helped a lot by reducing tyre pressures.

All the best.

Ian.

When we displayed our layout 250km south of Perth I was going to hire a semi trailer but the truck driver refused to take it because of the lack of weight and exactly what you have indicated it would have damaged the layout.
the truck that took the layout down had air shock absorbers and we also bought some square density foam cushions which we've placed under the wheels of the cages.

I have seen other layouts which have been mounted onto a trailer but it was integrated and the trailer was used to assemble the layout on it but you couldn't go up stairs with it BigGrin

John
http://www.youtube.com/river6109
http://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline GlennM  
#519 Posted : 08 December 2013 13:47:18(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Hi all

It's been a while but in the time I have bought a trailer and finally last weekend brought it homeBigGrin

I have had some work done inside to secure the modules well.

As can be seen from the pcictures the two main modules will be slid in on the racking. The modules will then be bolted to the side frames to make them secure.

All I have to do now is get the modules in one by one and drill through the wood and metal.

The smaller modules will be screwed to framework on the base of the trailer.

The plan is then to surround the boards with upholstery foam. This will also be used in the building boxes to keep them separate and away from damage.

So guess who's going to be this Christmas holiday timeWink The first show is April in Rushden. Tick tock......LOL

Mike

Mike,

I just wanted to say that the trailer looks excellent, very professional, ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

I think you should publish your intended shows early so we can book space in our diaries, we want to be there to help support your display. Any news from Eurospoor? It would be awesome if you could display there...........

BR

Glenn

PS: On the weight issue you could always pop round the air base and ask them if you could borrow a few lbs of plutonium to weight the trailer down..............BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline jetavdk  
#520 Posted : 01 February 2014 07:11:45(UTC)
jetavdk

United States   
Mike,

Gorgeous M-track layout. I'm in the planning stages of an M-track layout using the 3900 / 3800 curves and was wondering how they would integrate with the 5100 / 5200 curves. After stumbling upon some of Ian's posts he let me know that you were using them too. They look absolutely great and I'm glad to have found some on E-bay recently. Keep up the great work.

On another note when Ian mentioned your username I knew instantly that you were a BMW enthusiast so it appears we have the same likes (weaknesses) of Marklin and Hennarot E21's and E30's. I can see my better half rolling her eyes at me now when I tell her I found someone else like me out there! LOL

Where did you find the model of that Glas convertible in one of your photos? Also, how about posting some more photos of the Lachsilber E-30 with the M-Technic pieces on it!

Best,

Ted
Offline hennabm  
#521 Posted : 01 February 2014 17:06:42(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Ted

Thanks ThumpUp

It was through Ian and this forum that I became aware of the 3900 curves. Until then I always though that the 5200 was the largest curve for M track.

I have used them as as further circle outside of the 5200 and 5100 curves. I have not used them directly connected to any other radii so perhaps can't help there. As far as running and reliability then the quality of the 3900 series shines through. BigGrin

You will find that good quality ones are expensive but I think worth it, as it gives a more generous curve for the M track and the ability to run the longer passenger cars.

The HO Glas was found at a model rail fair and was in with a whole host of other Wiking models. As a "special edition " it was expensive - about £10 Scared. You may find one on ebay. The series number is 0187 99 and Wiking call it a BMW GT Cabrio.

I have had BMW since I was a 20 year old. I have had one or more since the age of 23.
The current fleet consists of the 323i in Henna; a 116d in Karminrot and the 320i in Sterling silver. The latter I only paid £70 for about 8 years ago as the previous owner thought it was scrap. I will post more pictures of it later in the my cars section.

I take it you have at least one BMW? If so please post some pictures in the car thread.
Link;
http://www.marklin-users...ou-drive.aspx#post443037

Mike

Edited by user 01 February 2014 21:43:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline hennabm  
#522 Posted : 17 March 2014 18:23:44(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

My first show is now close - 26th April in Rushden. The weather has been a little damp and windy over recent weeks so no work got done on preparing the trailerThumbDown ThumbDown .

Finally last week the weather broke and I was able to get the main modules in and drill them for fixing to the rails.
I also managed to plan how to fit (the majority) of building boxes in to the trailer.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The next few pictures were taken at the Brighton Toy museum, under the Railway station. was pleased to see the M* product well represented.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

There were also a number of Dublo models and layouts. So just for Ian555;
UserPostedImage

cheers
Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline Webmaster  
#523 Posted : 17 March 2014 18:59:17(UTC)
Webmaster

Ooohhh.... I'm almost in love - with that Flying Hamburger.... Drool
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline kweekalot  
#524 Posted : 17 March 2014 19:18:45(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Mike,
Wow, very nice ! Thanks for sharing the trailer and museum pics. ThumpUp
You are living my dream. Just what I want, a nice layout that I can take along to shows.

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Janne75  
#525 Posted : 18 March 2014 06:15:08(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Mike,

It looks really good how you have managed to get your layout into the trailer. Very professional way to do things. Also thank you for posting the photos from museum ThumpUp . I really like how well that old Swiss HS model was made back in those days (1936?). I have a Märklin AC compatible 3-rail analog Liliput Swiss Ae 4/6. So it is easy to see when comparing it to that old Märklin model it has many nice details from the real prototype. And it is 78 years old...

Cheers,
Janne
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Ian555  
#526 Posted : 18 March 2014 08:14:11(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Mike,

Have a great first show with the layout, and I'm looking forward to the Perth show at the end of June.

All the best.

Ian.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline hennabm  
#527 Posted : 18 March 2014 09:15:57(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

Thanks for the comments.ThumpUp ThumpUp

I was surprised how much M* was at the Brighton Toy museum. Just a shame there wasn't an M* layoutThumbDown

Anyway while I was looking at an OO layout of Southern region operations, I noticed that the owner was there and painstakinly installing the third rail, unique to the Southern region. Each isloator was hand made and the rail then added. Although it will be none functional, it did add to the realism. Just sorry I didn't take a photoBlushing

Talking to the chap, as you do, he runs an exhibition in Burgess Hill every year in May. So maybe next year BN will be on tour in the very far south of the UK - who knows.LOL

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline hennabm  
#528 Posted : 21 April 2014 12:40:36(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

Just to let you know that BN will be at the Rushden MRS on Saturday 26th April.

This is the very first outing for the layout and for the trailer and car. I did test the combo last weekend to check all rode nicely and can report that everything stayed in place, just as I wanted it to.ThumpUp ThumpUp

I hope to see some of you there if you can spare the timeThumpUp

Pictures and report will follow.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Ian555  
#529 Posted : 21 April 2014 14:42:41(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Mike,

This will give you good feedback for the Perth meeting.

Hope all goes well and you enjoy the show.

All the best.

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline hennabm  
#530 Posted : 04 July 2014 08:48:04(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

During my recent exhibition in Perth and elderly gent walked up to the layout and started chatting about the German and Swiss railways. He had an accent to his English and it turned out he was originally from German speaking Switzerland.ThumpUp

As the conversation went on he noticed the Ae6/6 on the layout and then from out of his bag he pulled out the following book.

UserPostedImage

I had a quick scan through and said thank you for showing me. He then told me it was now mineBlushing

So I am now the owner of this 1963 publication about the SBB.

Here are a couple of more pages;

UserPostedImage
Kroks are mentioned

UserPostedImage
The Ae6/6 shown

And finally just like our M* models we sometimes need to lift the lid.....

UserPostedImage

So can anyone tell me more about this publication please. Was it a one off or were there a number to the series etc.

Thank you.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline Ian555  
#531 Posted : 04 July 2014 09:02:54(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Mike,

Looks very interesting, now if only you were at the July meeting...only running Swiss Loco's/rolling stock...

All the best.

Ian.

Offline hennabm  
#532 Posted : 04 July 2014 09:32:46(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Ian

Aye, if only.........................................RollEyes

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline GlennM  
#533 Posted : 04 July 2014 14:02:08(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Hi all

During my recent exhibition in Perth and elderly gent walked up to the layout and started chatting about the German and Swiss railways. He had an accent to his English and it turned out he was originally from German speaking Switzerland.ThumpUp

As the conversation went on he noticed the Ae6/6 on the layout and then from out of his bag he pulled out the following book.

UserPostedImage

I had a quick scan through and said thank you for showing me. He then told me it was now mineBlushing

UserPostedImage
Kroks are mentioned

UserPostedImage
The Ae6/6 shown

UserPostedImage

So can anyone tell me more about this publication please. Was it a one off or were there a number to the series etc.

Thank you.

Mike

Mike,

Are you sure it was not when my Ae6/6 was on the track...............................Sneaky Sneaky Sneaky Sneaky Sneaky

Great book, I hope you will bring it to Nigel's Marklin Day.

BR

Glenn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline hennabm  
#534 Posted : 04 July 2014 14:36:39(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Glenn

One Ae6/6 looks very like another, so it may easy have been yours. Blushing

I will bring it with me to Nigel's days.ThumpUp

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline danmarklinman  
#535 Posted : 12 July 2014 18:07:14(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi all

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Kroks are mentioned

UserPostedImage
The Ae6/6 shown

UserPostedImage

Thank you.

Mike

That's a nice gift Mike. What a top bloke he was to give you it. Lovely document! The cover looks like the cab view of a Gottardo!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman