Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline James  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2012 20:22:56(UTC)
James

Canada   
Joined: 22/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 384
Location: Alberta
Hello All:

Although I'm sure that this question has probably been asked, but how does one determine which of Marklin's locomotives come equipped with the newer decoders that can be upgraded using the CS2? Is there a list of the newer Locomotives that have the capability of upgrading, or do all of the MFX locos have the upgrade ability. As I said, I', sure that this subject has been discussed before, but I have been off list for some time now, and I don't know where or how to go about tracking the information down. I used the USB upgrade set-up to upgrade my CS2 to the latest upgrade, however, some of the critical upgrade information still comesout in German. I have tried resetting the language to English and this helps for about 50% of the messages from the CS2, but I still keep getting messages (such as, "upgrading locomotive settings" in German). I will try to upgrade my CS2 via Ethernet, but until then....

Any help would be appreciated
Thanx
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2012 08:56:36(UTC)
H0

Holy See (Vatican City State)   
Joined: 16/02/2004(UTC)
Posts: 8,718
Hi, James!
Originally Posted by: James Go to Quoted Post
s there a list of the newer Locomotives that have the capability of upgrading
AFAIK this list is empty. They don't want users to mess around with the factory installed decoders.
Maybe a owner of both a CS2 and one of those new locos (VT 75.9 or UP 4019) can try if the decoders can be updated and if they support DCC.

Regards
Tom
---
Happy customer of Roco, Piko, Fleischmann, ESU, Brawa, Liliput, Rivarossi, Lima, ... - and will happily continue to buy locos that run well out of the box. I'm also happy with 95% of my Märklin items, but will avoid a few cost-optimized items made 2011 or later.
Offline James  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2012 21:28:34(UTC)
James

Canada   
Joined: 22/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 384
Location: Alberta
Thanks Tom. I was wondering about the extra (or new) sounds that can be found at http://www.maerklin.de/de/produ...ads/decoder-updates.html. The site has a number of what appears to be additional sounds, however, I'm not sure how to access them, or even if I can use them with my existing locomotives. There is a video at the bottom of this page, and it sort of shows what to do, however, it is in German, and with most Marklin instructional how to's, sketchy at best.

I have a friend who could translate, although he is German but he's not a Marklin fan, Laugh.

Thanks again Tom.

Regards
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2012 22:13:40(UTC)
H0

Holy See (Vatican City State)   
Joined: 16/02/2004(UTC)
Posts: 8,718
The first sentence on that page says that the update files are for the decoders that are sold separately (Märklin Sound Decoder mSD).
Regards
Tom
---
Happy customer of Roco, Piko, Fleischmann, ESU, Brawa, Liliput, Rivarossi, Lima, ... - and will happily continue to buy locos that run well out of the box. I'm also happy with 95% of my Märklin items, but will avoid a few cost-optimized items made 2011 or later.
Offline TimR  
#5 Posted : 15 March 2012 01:45:54(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Joined: 16/08/2007(UTC)
Posts: 1,752
Location: Jakarta
Very disappointing...

This is an age where all other factory-fitted sound decoders are usually programmable and can be updated with new sound files as per what a customer wants.

When I read last year that they were going to introduce a new generation of sound decoder with those features,
I finally thought that at last, Marklin is making progress....

(Although quite unfortunately, the sound files can only be updated through the exclusive CS2 and not from other peripherals)

... alas... this is not true, as it doesn't apply to factory fitted models. So, what's the point?

I don't think I will ever understand their logic. It seems they are never serious enough in really competing in development of MRR digital technology.

Arguably, makes it better in my mind to just stick with no sound models, and just chuck it out if I want to get a full sound decoder.

They better hope that there are going to be enough Marklin supporters that will continue buying their digital products.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 15 March 2012 05:26:43(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Joined: 17/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 13,607
Location: New Zealand
Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post
(Although quite unfortunately, the sound files can only be updated through the exclusive CS2 and not from other peripherals



Not quite correct, Tim. Marklin are introducing this year their own version of a 'Lokprogrammer' which will program these decoders as well as being able to upload new sound files. CS2 not needed.
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 15 March 2012 07:39:08(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Joined: 14/03/2005(UTC)
Posts: 11,194
Location: Gibraltar, Europe
I can see their logic.

Here's a new sound loco - it's got the correct sound files loaded on - Don't mess with it!

Now here's a new sound decoder for converting an existing loco - you'll need to load it with the right files for your loco.

In one case you discourage inexperienced owners from messing up their locos, and in the the other you encourage the experienced owner to complete his digital sound conversion with the correct files.

It's not all "evil Marklin" playing games with us, you know!.....

Ray

Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline TimR  
#8 Posted : 15 March 2012 09:21:35(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Joined: 16/08/2007(UTC)
Posts: 1,752
Location: Jakarta
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post
(Although quite unfortunately, the sound files can only be updated through the exclusive CS2 and not from other peripherals



Not quite correct, Tim. Marklin are introducing this year their own version of a 'Lokprogrammer' which will program these decoders as well as being able to upload new sound files. CS2 not needed.


I think I must've read their original brochure - which only says CS2... thanks for the update..
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline TimR  
#9 Posted : 15 March 2012 09:41:14(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Joined: 16/08/2007(UTC)
Posts: 1,752
Location: Jakarta
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I can see their logic.

Here's a new sound loco - it's got the correct sound files loaded on - Don't mess with it!


Yeah, the drawback is like the late Taurus model that comes with too early starting sound then brake release, before actually going off,
or some steamers without the proper "bell" sounds (forgot which model),
or similar diesel sounds of BR218, VT08, and others, which I don't know whether prototypical or not,
or models with full sounds, yet only 3 available sounds??

Marklin takes no responsibility, and all can't be fixed unless we buy another new programmable sound decoder.

They don't cause much concern for me to be honest, but there are disappointed owners:

"What? I can't add an extra prototypical horn sound to that #@$@# model??"

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Now here's a new sound decoder for converting an existing loco - you'll need to load it with the right files for your loco.

In one case you discourage inexperienced owners from messing up their locos, and in the the other you encourage the experienced owner to complete his digital sound conversion with the correct files.

It's not all "evil Marklin" playing games with us, you know!.....


Sorry, Ray, didn't really mean Marklin is evil...
I just think that they're producing lesser value with their sound models though it may look quite cheap compared to other brands. But depends on how you think, you'll pay its future price of non-convertible sounds.

Just remember that there are inexperienced customers who probably aren't too concerned, yet there are also very experienced ones who like to tune their model sounds to the detail.

I just think to continue to be in business,
it's better to have the ability to accommodate both needs and don't get either of them too disappointed - which may prevent them from buying more Marklin products.

Example:
Inexperienced ones are not likely to own a sound programmer, so the original sounds will not be convertible so long as they never bought one.

Experienced ones will benefit fully if they bought the programmer - they would likely to have learnt how to do them before playing.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline pab  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2012 09:45:40(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
Joined: 03/11/2007(UTC)
Posts: 2,389
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post
(Although quite unfortunately, the sound files can only be updated through the exclusive CS2 and not from other peripherals



Not quite correct, Tim. Marklin are introducing this year their own version of a 'Lokprogrammer' which will program these decoders as well as being able to upload new sound files. CS2 not needed.


I thought I read that too, but can't find the documentation anymore. Do you know where to find more information about that?
Offline James  
#11 Posted : 15 March 2012 21:45:52(UTC)
James

Canada   
Joined: 22/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 384
Location: Alberta
Ray... you are correct when you say that the factory settings are (in their opinion) the correct settings, however, they do offer a fail safe option for anyone who wishes to "dabble" with the decoder's CV's under the "Restore to factory settings" option. For the most part I have no problem with the factory settings except that some locomotives I have found require "tweeks" such as adjusting the "chuff" sound to correctly correspond with the lok's movement. On a number of occasions I have found that the locomotive has sped up to a workable running speed before the sound function has engaged.

The digital world is evolving every year and with it, locomotive sounds which are getting closer and closer to the prototype. If Marklin desires to be proprietary with their product, then they should offer the same or better features that ESU or Roco/Fleischman offer. Therefore, it only makes sense that they should offer a way of upgrading their on board sound functions.
(if only to keep up with the "Jones's)BigGrin

Point in fact, I recently purchased a BR E151 (originally from the starter set) and found that the sound package quite literately sucked. Every time I powered up the layout, no matter if the 151's sound was on or off, the horn would sound. When operating the lok if I went to sound the horn... nothing happened. Since the lok was under warranty, I sent the locomotive back to Marklin (Germany) where upon, I was told that the decoder came from the factory like that and, that there was nothing they could do about it. I decided to exchanged the decoder for an ESU product and was pleasantly surprised to find that the decoder offered a larger range of sounds, better quality, and louder than the original.

Given the amount of time, money and energy that I have expended on Marklin, I just want to justify my efforts. A German friend of mine told me recently that when it comes to the quality of Rolling stock coming out of Marklin, they can hold their own against any of the other manufacturers, however, regarding Marklin/Trix, their locomotives are (mechanically speaking), crap.

In closing, all I can say is that once the warranty of my locomotives have past, I will definitely be upgrading said decoders. I don't care who makes the decoder, but it will need two things... to sound awesome and to be upgradeable.

Regards to all
James
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by James
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 15 March 2012 22:06:42(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Joined: 17/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 13,607
Location: New Zealand
Marklin 60801 is the item number for the new programmer. Not much info about it as yet.


From http://www.haertle.de/mo...er+fuer+decoder+msd.html


"Märklin 60 801 sound decoder programmer for mSD

New 2012 - expected to be shipped by 2nd quarter of 2012

To program the new Märklin-sound decoder (mSD) from autumn 2011.

For decoder 60945, 60 946, 60947, 60 948, 60 949, 60 965, 60 966 and 60967"
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 15 March 2012 22:10:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Joined: 17/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 13,607
Location: New Zealand
Here's some interesting info from the latest Digital Newsletter......


"The Marklin 60940 is another programmable sound decoder, but this one is made for Sinus motors. It
is easy to install since it is a 21 pin decoder. You just unplug the decoder on the Sinus circuit board
and replace it with the 60940. The 60940 has a socket for a speaker so no wiring or soldering is
required. This is a very convenient connection because the sinus connects to the motor with a ribbon
cable that you don’t want to disconnect. It is very easy to replace the old 21 pin decoder with the 21
pin sound decoder."
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 15 March 2012 22:22:42(UTC)
H0

Holy See (Vatican City State)   
Joined: 16/02/2004(UTC)
Posts: 8,718
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Here's some interesting info from the latest Digital Newsletter......

"The Marklin 60940 is another programmable sound decoder, but this one is made for Sinus motors. [...]"
Please note: this decoder cannot control Sinus motors. It simply has AUX3 and AUX4 without amplification - and this is what early Sinus/Compact Sinus/SDS locos with factory-installed mfx decoder need.
60940 is compatible with the NEM recommendations for 21-pin decoders like ESU decoders and older mfx locos.
Other mSD/mLD are not compatible with NEM recommendations because AUX3 and AUX4 have amplification - and normal ESU decoders cannot be used with some newer locos from Märklin or Trix.

But ESU strike back and also offer "incompatible" decoders for new MäTrix locos.

Märklin still offer no solution for conversion of locos with Sinus motor and fx decoder with "mouse piano" (DIP switches).
Regards
Tom
---
Happy customer of Roco, Piko, Fleischmann, ESU, Brawa, Liliput, Rivarossi, Lima, ... - and will happily continue to buy locos that run well out of the box. I'm also happy with 95% of my Märklin items, but will avoid a few cost-optimized items made 2011 or later.
Offline TimR  
#15 Posted : 16 March 2012 01:38:28(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Joined: 16/08/2007(UTC)
Posts: 1,752
Location: Jakarta
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Here's some interesting info from the latest Digital Newsletter......

"The Marklin 60940 is another programmable sound decoder, but this one is made for Sinus motors. [...]"
Please note: this decoder cannot control Sinus motors. It simply has AUX3 and AUX4 without amplification - and this is what early Sinus/Compact Sinus/SDS locos with factory-installed mfx decoder need.


I thought Marklin should have been more grateful for their Sinus motor technology - in this case, SDS type which provide 21-pin slots.

In Sinus - the decoders always have their own load control ability disabled, and allow the Sinus drive board took control of this part.
The advantage is: this largely negates the really crappy load control that many new Marklin decoders have. Thanks to Sinus, I was largely insulated from this problem until last year - when a DCM model finally made me realize how bad they are compared to the older ESU-type.

Arguably, this also mean that they could've build new type of decoders without load control feature and make it cheaper - if there is the economic scale of having most models equipped with Sinus motor.

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

60940 is compatible with the NEM recommendations for 21-pin decoders like ESU decoders and older mfx locos.
Other mSD/mLD are not compatible with NEM recommendations because AUX3 and AUX4 have amplification - and normal ESU decoders cannot be used with some newer locos from Märklin or Trix.

But ESU strike back and also offer "incompatible" decoders for new MäTrix locos.

Märklin still offer no solution for conversion of locos with Sinus motor and fx decoder with "mouse piano" (DIP switches).


I think those are all business backward steps in the wrong direction for Marklin.
That makes the only alternative for those who don't want to be affected by this problem when changing decoder brand is to rip out the factory PCB, fit an older version or the ESU one, and then re-wire the whole thing back.
Thanks for the info though.

Edited by user 16 March 2012 01:48:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 16 March 2012 02:50:01(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Joined: 17/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 13,607
Location: New Zealand
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Please note: this decoder cannot control Sinus motors.



What's the point of it then?
Offline pab  
#17 Posted : 16 March 2012 09:50:51(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
Joined: 03/11/2007(UTC)
Posts: 2,389
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Marklin 60801 is the item number for the new programmer. Not much info about it as yet.


From http://www.haertle.de/mo...er+fuer+decoder+msd.html


"Märklin 60 801 sound decoder programmer for mSD

New 2012 - expected to be shipped by 2nd quarter of 2012

To program the new Märklin-sound decoder (mSD) from autumn 2011.

For decoder 60945, 60 946, 60947, 60 948, 60 949, 60 965, 60 966 and 60967"


Thanks. It's not in the M database, that's why I couln't found it.

Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 16 March 2012 10:00:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Joined: 14/03/2005(UTC)
Posts: 11,194
Location: Gibraltar, Europe
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Here's some interesting info from the latest Digital Newsletter......

"The Marklin 60940 is another programmable sound decoder, but this one is made for Sinus motors. [...]"
Please note: this decoder cannot control Sinus motors. It simply has AUX3 and AUX4 without amplification - and this is what early Sinus/Compact Sinus/SDS locos with factory-installed mfx decoder need.
60940 is compatible with the NEM recommendations for 21-pin decoders like ESU decoders and older mfx locos.
Other mSD/mLD are not compatible with NEM recommendations because AUX3 and AUX4 have amplification - and normal ESU decoders cannot be used with some newer locos from Märklin or Trix.

But ESU strike back and also offer "incompatible" decoders for new MäTrix locos.

Märklin still offer no solution for conversion of locos with Sinus motor and fx decoder with "mouse piano" (DIP switches).


Tom, can you explain this please?

Marklin say, "The Marklin 60940 is another programmable sound decoder, but this one is made for Sinus motors"

You say, "Please note: this decoder cannot control Sinus motors"

Are you directly contradicting Marklin's statement, or have I missed something? Is the decoder made for Sinus motors or isn't it?

Does it only work with some locos, and if so, which ones?
Ray

Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 16 March 2012 10:10:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Joined: 17/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 13,607
Location: New Zealand
Thanks Ray, pretty much the same questions I had, which is why I posted the question 'What's the point of it then?'

If they don't control the Sinus motors, what do they do?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#20 Posted : 07 April 2012 09:30:51(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Joined: 17/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 13,607
Location: New Zealand
Marklin have added some new loco sounds for these decoders to their website dated February and March, but only for electric and diesel locomotives. Nothing new for steam locomotives at this time.
Offline RayF  
#21 Posted : 07 April 2012 12:22:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Joined: 14/03/2005(UTC)
Posts: 11,194
Location: Gibraltar, Europe
Thanks David.

Did we figure out what motors the 60940 decoder is for?
Ray

Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 07 April 2012 19:01:56(UTC)
H0

Holy See (Vatican City State)   
Joined: 16/02/2004(UTC)
Posts: 8,718
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Marklin say, "The Marklin 60940 is another programmable sound decoder, but this one is made for Sinus motors"
You say, "Please note: this decoder cannot control Sinus motors"
Sorry, I missed your question back in March.

The mtc21 interface was designed with C-Sine motor in mind: it has wires for hall sensors and three wires to feed C-Sine motors. These wires were never used.
So you cannot use it to replace an old decoder with DIP switches that really does control C-Sine motors.

The new decoders can only be used for C-Sine locos that came with a factory installed mtc interface. And all these locos have a driver PCB between decoder and motor.

For Märklin C-Sine locos, almost any normal decoder can be used. You only have to check if the loco requires AUX3 and AUX4 without or with amplification. Therefore you can get two different decoders from Märklin - I'm not sure about ESU.

Edited by user 08 April 2012 06:21:32(UTC)  | Reason: unsure about ESU decoders with amplified AUX3/4

Regards
Tom
---
Happy customer of Roco, Piko, Fleischmann, ESU, Brawa, Liliput, Rivarossi, Lima, ... - and will happily continue to buy locos that run well out of the box. I'm also happy with 95% of my Märklin items, but will avoid a few cost-optimized items made 2011 or later.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#23 Posted : 07 April 2012 21:34:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Joined: 17/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 13,607
Location: New Zealand
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
You only have to check if the loco requires AUX3 and AUX4 without or with amplification. Therefore you can get two different decoders from Märklin - and from ESU.


Dumb question, but how do you tell whether amplification is required or not? And, what are the differing decoders that are available (as in part/model numbers)?
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 08 April 2012 06:47:17(UTC)
H0

Holy See (Vatican City State)   
Joined: 16/02/2004(UTC)
Posts: 8,718
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Dumb question, but how do you tell whether amplification is required or not?
Difficult to tell.
There's a list of locos in the 60940 manual (see page 21). They also write that 60940 shall be used to replace pre-installed decoders with blue circuit board (i.e. ESU-made decoders). AUX3/4 are not amplified as required by NEM 660.

The other mLD decoders have amplified AUX3/4.

AFAIK both types can be used if the loco uses neither AUX3 nor AUX4. Owners of a CS1 or CS2 can check the function mapping to see if AUX3 or AUX4 are used.

Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/60940_betrieb.pdf
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/60946_betrieb.pdf


Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
And, what are the differing decoders that are available (as in part/model numbers)?
Maybe I was wrong about ESU decoders with amplified AUX3/4. They have six amplified outputs with some new decoders, but not with the MTC version to maintain compatibility with NEM 660.
It seems that all mSD decoders have amplified AUX3/4 except for 60940.
To me it seems that all mLD decoders have amplified AUX3/4.
Regards
Tom
---
Happy customer of Roco, Piko, Fleischmann, ESU, Brawa, Liliput, Rivarossi, Lima, ... - and will happily continue to buy locos that run well out of the box. I'm also happy with 95% of my Märklin items, but will avoid a few cost-optimized items made 2011 or later.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#25 Posted : 08 April 2012 07:04:26(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Joined: 17/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 13,607
Location: New Zealand
Cheers, thanks Tom.
Offline RayF  
#26 Posted : 08 April 2012 09:58:07(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Joined: 14/03/2005(UTC)
Posts: 11,194
Location: Gibraltar, Europe
Thanks Tom, that's much clearer to me now! ThumpUp
Ray

Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#27 Posted : 08 April 2012 10:43:38(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Joined: 17/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 13,607
Location: New Zealand
From the 60940 manual...

"This decoder supports the 6090, 60901, DC, Sine, and motors
with bell-shaped armatures."
Offline jeehring  
#28 Posted : 08 April 2012 14:09:59(UTC)
jeehring


Joined: 25/09/2003(UTC)
Posts: 2,734
Location: ,
where ever is the "ampli transistor"-pcb or decoder - I thought that :
No amplification = no there is no function
Amplification = yes there is a function.

Did I understand...correctly ?
Offline H0  
#29 Posted : 08 April 2012 15:14:12(UTC)
H0

Holy See (Vatican City State)   
Joined: 16/02/2004(UTC)
Posts: 8,718
With mtc21 interface, AUX3/4 either have logic level (5 V, up to 2 mA current allowed) or are amplified (open collector, switching towards minus, maximum current depends on transistor in use).

NEM 660 defines AUX3/4 to have logic level, requiring amplification on the loco PCB.

Certain locos with C-Sine motor require unamplified AUX3/4 as they use the logic level as a reference voltage. These are the locos that now require the 60940 special version of the mSD decoder.
Regards
Tom
---
Happy customer of Roco, Piko, Fleischmann, ESU, Brawa, Liliput, Rivarossi, Lima, ... - and will happily continue to buy locos that run well out of the box. I'm also happy with 95% of my Märklin items, but will avoid a few cost-optimized items made 2011 or later.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#30 Posted : 11 April 2012 12:39:11(UTC)
NZMarklinist


Joined: 15/03/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,263
Location: Auckland NZ
Hi All,
Just this weekend I went over to Dennis The Train Dr's place with my new 60946 Msd set for the upgrade of my 37900 V290 he's doing for me.
I also took along my 37905 V294 for a comparison to see if we could learn, refine any thing in the function key assignments.
The 60946 for diesels comes with Fo for the lights and 15 other light or sounds functions, including couplers and rail joint clickety clack !Huh Some will be edited out to allow the ones I want/need, ie; double "A" shunting lights and individual Telex coupler operation.
We also tried to see if the sound project from the 37605 V294 could be copied onto this new decoder, well absolutely no said Dennis' CS2 screen "not valid, not able," etc,etc. That was after saving it's CV's in to the CS2, we could have had a play with some of the CVs but not the sound project !! Sneaky , but a good thing, so the factory decoders aren't much use for anything other than an identical type of Lok.Bored
However full editing of the new 60946 Marklin Decoder it seems is no problem, in fact in the set up screen there was an option re motor type, tick Csinus and hey presto, the V290 with decoder installed behaved properly instead of taking off at speed on speed step two.
So the factory decoders, sound projects, are still fully write protected even with the CS2. FYI

Now Dennis knows about F3 & F4 and their application with Csinus motors, however he specified the Msd for its extra amplified functions to give me the lights and Telex hmmmUnsure I'm sure he has it covered and will post the result along with the V200 repair and Zeplin upgrade when the V290 and Zeplin finally come home RollEyes BigGrin
Final parts for those ( speakers for the V290 and Zeplin Prop Motor Bracket, to replace the broken one M sent ThumbDown ) are on their way from Lokshop in a few days Woot
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#31 Posted : 01 May 2012 10:46:13(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Joined: 17/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 13,607
Location: New Zealand
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Marklin have added some new loco sounds for these decoders to their website dated February and March, but only for electric and diesel locomotives. Nothing new for steam locomotives at this time.


New sounds for Steam locos have now been posted. Added to the Inventory are sounds for Br44, Br50, Br55, Big Boy, Br64, Br80, Gt 2x4/4, and others.
Offline jeehring  
#32 Posted : 23 June 2012 16:30:22(UTC)
jeehring


Joined: 25/09/2003(UTC)
Posts: 2,734
Location: ,
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,
We also tried to see if the sound project from the 37605 V294 could be copied onto this new decoder, well absolutely no said Dennis' CS2 screen "not valid, not able," etc,etc. That was after saving it's CV's in to the CS2, we could have had a play with some of the CVs but not the sound project !! Sneaky , but a good thing, so the factory decoders aren't much use for anything other than an identical type of Lok.Bored
However full editing of the new 60946 Marklin Decoder it seems is no problem, in fact in the set up screen there was an option re motor type, tick Csinus and hey presto, the V290 with decoder installed behaved properly instead of taking off at speed on speed step two.
So the factory decoders, sound projects, are still fully write protected even with the CS2. FYI

s Woot


I just have read you, despite I'm not sure to understand correctly what you have tried to do , let me say one thing:

it is impossible to copy or extract sound files from a decoder, whatever the type or the brand of decoder: do not blame the manufacturer. It's the same thing with every brands, also with ESU decoders , you have a LokProgrammer or not ..(with or without)
There is no way & you can never do so because they are compressed files in a specific protocole to implement them into the decoder

Edited by user 24 June 2012 09:55:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 1.772 seconds.