Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ian555  
#51 Posted : 13 March 2012 08:07:33(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Mike,

This is something I have not tried, running a digital Loco on the analog section of my layout.

Can you give some advice as to what Loco's I could try this with first, so as not to incur any damage.

Ian.

Offline Mark5  
#52 Posted : 13 March 2012 10:34:52(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hi Ian and everyone ... great comments and dialogue!

I have a small bunch of Analog only.
Four "electric" trains with pantographs (funny since all Marklin are electric really) a few nice "steamies" and a cadre of 3000s and couple of others.
( I am not yet too number conversant, but do find myself memorizing the numbers now)

The question I have is... now that I am getting back into it after so long....

...how many of your analogs are actually in working order? Mellow
Either from neglect, abandon, or buying old stuff like me...

For example I have some that I have yet to tested yet at all. (new ebay lots)
and of the 3000s ... I have 6x here and one finally in a "picture" box coming in the mail to make 7x.
... I know of 3 that don't run! But I want to get them all up and running ...
Read in an old catalogue that there were 5 million of these made, must be many more now.
The VW beetle of the Marklin world?

FYI I call the "picture boxes", the blue boxes with the fabulously illustrated Lok image on the box. My fav boxes actually.
Is there an actual genre name for these things?

Anyway... Enjoyed reading this thread, and I find the different views really amusing. Smile
Its so great to see other grown men passionate about "toy" trains,
makes me feel just a bit less of a train geek... but there's no harm in becoming one now, is there? Wink

MM
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline DV  
#53 Posted : 13 March 2012 11:15:02(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Ian555 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mike,

This is something I have not tried, running a digital Loco on the analog section of my layout.

Can you give some advice as to what Loco's I could try this with first, so as not to incur any damage.

Ian.

Ian,

everytime I give advice it seems to be either slightly wrong or not enoughBigGrin and I usually am put in my place rather quicklyFlapper .

So to your question. Any MFX loco will run on analogue, as the decoder senses whether it is analogue or digital. I also believe the FX are the same.

One way you would know is if it moves it's OK. If it doesn't move then it is one where the switches have to be set to off - which means taking the body off and going through the process AND remembering what address it was set at when you want to return it to digital.

OK, I'm now ready to be shot down in flamesFlapper LOL BigGrin Tongue Razz
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline intruder  
#54 Posted : 13 March 2012 11:23:07(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Of my 124 132 H0 locomotives three are analogue.

3013 version 4 (made 1958-1966)
UserPostedImage
I got this from a collegue many years ago, and it is not so bad, after installing new pantographs, couplers, lamps etc.

3016 version 2 (made 1958)
UserPostedImage
I got this from a friend, hand painted to cover some scrathes.

3021 version 5 (made 1961-1962).
UserPostedImage
Bought second hand some months ago.

As you see, they are far from mint condition, so I will probably convert them to digital, to be able to run them on my future layout.
I have no plans to have an analogue section on my layout.

I still buy analogue locomotives, but basically to convert them to digital.

Edited by user 17 February 2013 13:38:34(UTC)  | Reason: Updated number of HO locomotives

Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Ian555  
#55 Posted : 13 March 2012 12:15:13(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Dusan,

So, you can just operate from a blue transformer, and what about when you want to reverse the Loco.

Or, have I got that wrong.

Ian.

Offline Ian555  
#56 Posted : 13 March 2012 12:17:40(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Svein,

Thanks for your input, you are very nearly 100% digital.

Ian.

Offline RayF  
#57 Posted : 13 March 2012 12:28:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Dusan,

So, you can just operate from a blue transformer, and what about when you want to reverse the Loco.

Ian.

Ian,

All Marklin digital locos will work in analogue, including reversing. The decoder does the job of the reversing relay. Some delta locos have to have their DIP switches all set to OFF for them to work in analogue.

The problem with using blue transformers is that the older ones have a very large voltage at the reversing pulse. These can damage some of the newer decoders. You will probably be safe using a blue transformer with delta, 6080, 6090 and 6090x decoders. For MFX and newer FX decoders you should use one of the white transformers. These are very cheap, especially if bought split from a starter set, so it's probably a good idea to replace your older blue transformers anyway.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Western Pacific  
#58 Posted : 13 March 2012 12:42:09(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Hi Dusan,

Ian.

Ian, with a blue transformer I would be a bit careful if the lok has a recent mfx, since the blue transformers under certain conditions generates a direction change pulse with a too high voltage, in other words it may fry the decoder. However since you are in Scotland and if your blue transformers were originally designed specifically for the UK market and marked as designed for 240 V on primary side, then it may work if your house is supplied by the more recently defined 230 V and it is closer to 230 V than 240 V since the European standard allows for some tolerances. (If you are close to a transformer it can be a bit over 230 V and if you are far from it may be closer to 220 V. The way to find out is to measure the mains voltage, but do it at a time of day when the load in the supply network is low, for instance after 22h00 or before 05h00, since a the voltage is lower if the load is high on the network in a residential area, for instance when people get up and turn on electric kettles, make toast or in the evening when they get home from work and start cooking dinner etc.).

The safe way to do it to use a white transformer, which shall not generate a direction change pulse that would fry mfx decoders.
Offline BrandonVA  
#59 Posted : 13 March 2012 13:41:12(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Ian - a bit of an echo of some others;

Tom (H0) informed me about the old blue transformers recently. I purchased three new white (grey) transformers...Marklin 6646 for 120v US, I believe the 240v part number is Marklin 6647. Very good price on eBay :) The new white ones are all 32va, there is no longer a 16va/30va option. I love the old blue transformers, but these new ones are nice too...probably a bit smoother in operation. My kids seem to control the trains a bit better, I think they like the speed markings around the control knob. I am using some of my old blue transformers for powering lights, accessories and the 7051 crane. The other small bonus of the "new" white transformers is they are a bit smaller...makes your control deck a little more tidy.

Regarding running of digital locs on analog, just put them on the track and then will go as though they were analog. Every digital/delta loc I have will do this (although as stated above, I only have about 7). Most of them are very new (last 2-3 years). I would note that as already discussed serveral times around these forums that digital locos are much more sensitive to any dirt on the track. If the track is not clean, the running characteristicis of a digital loc running on analog track are not that great. I also have a BR64 with the C-sine, a very nice model...but it does not seem to run that well in analog operation (I think someone said this is typical for C-sine?). Otherwise I would guess it's the short wheelbase that makes difficult grounding sometime.

-Brandon
Offline Ian555  
#60 Posted : 13 March 2012 14:06:25(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Ray,

I think I will stick with what I know best, and run my analog and digital Loco's together but on different sections of the layout.

Your idea, from now nearly 2.5 years ago, of running my analog Loco's thro' the main station, is one that I still really enjoy, having the analog and digital Loco's mixing it together, and will somewhere be incorparated into the new layout.

Ian.

Offline Ian555  
#61 Posted : 13 March 2012 14:10:06(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Per,

Thanks for the very useful information. ThumpUp

For my own peace of mind I think I'll just run things as they are...safer and cheaper. Smile ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline Ian555  
#62 Posted : 13 March 2012 14:12:32(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your input, but like I've just said, better the devil you know.......

Will just play safe. Smile

Ian.

Offline Ian555  
#63 Posted : 13 March 2012 14:17:30(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

My total analog Loco's has just went to 56.

This morning had delivered a boxed 1970 3029, and a boxed 3085, not sure of the date...grey slide out type box.

Photo's soon.

Ian.

Offline utkan  
#64 Posted : 13 March 2012 16:59:21(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
....with your permission...Blushing

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

plus three ICE(2 experimental+Ice 3) and a TRANS EUROP EXPRESS

ONLY a KÖFF and a LUDMILLA digital the rest is all ANALOG.....counting is free....RollEyes RollEyes
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
Offline Ian555  
#65 Posted : 13 March 2012 17:07:40(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi mehmet,

My good friend, I do not have enough fingers to count all those wonderful Loco's. ThumpUp

But, no fat lady...Wink Smile

Ian.

Offline Eurobahnfan  
#66 Posted : 13 March 2012 17:36:00(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
Great topic and thoughts. I started a little late with Maerklin, but decided from the beginning to go with Delta/digital and have never regretted it. Lately, however, I find I'm purchasing more analog locos from the sixties and seventies, a time when I would have loved to have Maerklin -- but couldn't afford it on my paper route and lawn mowing salary. BigGrin I've also purchased a fair bit of M track with hopes of creating a small, dealer-type display layout to showcase all of them in action. I know it's strange, but I actually enjoy running them the old-fashioned way through signal blocks -- the same way I enjoy my old, pre-war Lionel trains. For now, I don't plan to convert any of them. In time, who knows?
Offline BrandonVA  
#67 Posted : 13 March 2012 17:43:46(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Mehmet, I think I speak for most here - I approve. Laugh LOL

What's really impressive is not just the collection, but that there is an area to display it all.
Offline Ian555  
#68 Posted : 13 March 2012 17:48:28(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Steve,

I don't intend to convert any analog loco's either. Smile

Ian.

Offline Nigel Packer  
#69 Posted : 13 March 2012 17:55:33(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Well, my collection is mostly Digital, but I have just counted and I have more than 250 Analogue locos. My layout is Digital only, so the analogue locos form part of my collection, where I try to have at least one representative sample of each Märklin product. I won't convert any more analogue locos to Digital, though I have done some in the past.

Of that number, more than 50 are old 800-series locos, and more than 40 are Primex, mostly in still-sealed original boxes.

I do still collect analogue locos, three new ones this week. Where possible, I only buy new and unused locos, with original boxes.

Sometimes I think it is, after all, possible to have too many Märklin locos. And sometimes I think it isn't . . .

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
Offline charles Sharpe  
#70 Posted : 13 March 2012 18:20:20(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello All.

I have 4 analogue locs. 4] 460 and 1] 4/4 1
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Ian555  
#71 Posted : 13 March 2012 18:29:47(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Nigel,

What a wonderful collection of analog Loco's.ThumpUp

Maybe, one day, thro' our Marklin Club UK, I could have the privilage of viewing them.

Ian.

Offline Ian555  
#72 Posted : 13 March 2012 18:32:02(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Charles,

Are you still buying analog Loco's.

Ian.

Offline mike c  
#73 Posted : 13 March 2012 19:29:18(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
For more recent Digital loks (ESU or new Maerklin decoders):

These loks can be used in digital or analog operation. The decoders detect whether the track is proving a digital or analog signal and select the operation mode internally. In analog operation, the decoder will reverse the direction of the locomotive when a voltage spike is detected. It is strongly recommended that newer digital loks only be operated on new analog transformers as the older blue transformers may damage the decoders due to excessive voltage (at top speed or when reversing). Older transformers can still be used for accessory operations.

For older digital (with Maerklin/Motorola decoder) and delta loks:

These loks can also be used in digital or analog operation. These loks come delivered from the factory set for analog operation. Modellers using the loks with delta or digital controllers are required to remove the lok shell and to select a delta/digital address. Once a specific address has been selected, the loks may no longer respond to analog commands. If you have a delta or digital lok that you wish to operate on an analog layout, remove the lok shell and switch all the dip switches to off (Delta 4 switches/Digital 8 dip switches). Some digital loks of the final 6090 decoder series may already be set to accept digital or analog commands.

On some of the earlier digital models, some features (lights, etc) might not function in analog mode. This is normal and is mentioned in the lok instructions.

It is also important to pay attention to things like coach lighting. Digital operation results in constant power being supplied to the track, so coach lights will be on all of the time. Normal operation meant that the lights would be off when stopped, dim when starting stopping and bright at full speed. Operating the older interior lights constantly may cause the bulbs to heat and could damage the plastic light channels inside the coaches. In such a situation, it may be necessary to replace the bulbs with ones with higher voltage tolerance, which will yield less brightness and less heat during operation.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Ian555  
#74 Posted : 13 March 2012 19:45:15(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the interesting information. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline charles Sharpe  
#75 Posted : 13 March 2012 22:11:55(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hi Charles,

Are you still buying analog Loco's.

Ian.

Hello Ian

I prefer digital as they seam to me run a lot smoother and have more power but having said that if a analog floats my boat then I would buy it.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline steventrain  
#76 Posted : 13 March 2012 22:25:39(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent collection, Utkan.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Nigel Packer  
#77 Posted : 13 March 2012 23:16:32(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
What a wonderful collection of analog Loco's.ThumpUp

Maybe, one day, thro' our Marklin Club UK, I could have the privilage of viewing them.

Ian.

Yes, I hope so! Only geography is in the way! (And my Digital collection is much, much larger . . .)

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
Offline Ian555  
#78 Posted : 14 March 2012 07:17:56(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Nigel,

I look forward to that very much. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline river6109  
#79 Posted : 14 March 2012 07:29:26(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Ian,

If I read your post correctly it isn't about whether digital or analog is better or worth or what advantages or disadvantages they may have.
It opens up the forum who has what and for what purpose or reasons, if any.
Analog locos suit me, they are simple and straight forward but I've made the biggest mistake in my life, converting anlaog locos to digital and I can't stop converting them.BigGrin

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline foumaro  
#80 Posted : 14 March 2012 08:15:52(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dusan,

Ian.

Ian,

All Marklin digital locos will work in analogue, including reversing. The decoder does the job of the reversing relay. Some delta locos have to have their DIP switches all set to OFF for them to work in analogue.

The problem with using blue transformers is that the older ones have a very large voltage at the reversing pulse. These can damage some of the newer decoders. You will probably be safe using a blue transformer with delta, 6080, 6090 and 6090x decoders. For MFX and newer FX decoders you should use one of the white transformers. These are very cheap, especially if bought split from a starter set, so it's probably a good idea to replace your older blue transformers anyway.

Very useful information,thank you very much Ray.
Offline Ian555  
#81 Posted : 14 March 2012 08:18:01(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi John,

I only asked how many analog Loco's members have.

Ian.

Offline hxmiesa  
#82 Posted : 14 March 2012 18:04:27(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
My layout is analog too, so all locos I have run in analog mode.
Unfortunatly many new(ish) locos comes with full- or Delta-decos, so analog buying is not really an option in our 3-rail world.
When buying second-hand I always spot for analog locos. They are also a lot cheaper now, seeing that there is less demand.

In numbers, I think around 20 of my locos are analog (that´s around 50% of the fleet)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Ian555  
#83 Posted : 14 March 2012 19:29:30(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Henrik,

Thanks for your input. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline rhtastro  
#84 Posted : 14 March 2012 22:21:06(UTC)
rhtastro

United States   
Analog locos? I presume you're talking about HO. My answer is 0.0. For Z it's 16.

S--Bob
Robert's trains insured by Colt 45--Marklin Club of NorCal, Founder and Sole Member--- Robert's photos may be used as public domain-all copyrights waved
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"-T.Jefferson
Offline Ian555  
#85 Posted : 15 March 2012 06:59:08(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your input. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline utkan  
#86 Posted : 15 March 2012 14:17:18(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Hi mehmet,

My good friend, I do not have enough fingers to count all those wonderful Loco's. ThumpUp

But, no fat lady...Wink Smile

Ian.

That is FAT LADY's problem,IanBigGrin

Offline utkan  
#87 Posted : 15 March 2012 14:24:03(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

What's really impressive is not just the collection, but that there is an area to display it all.

Hi Brandon,

There are certain steps for me;

1-) To come across the itemLove

2-) To pay a reasonable amountRollEyes

3-) To get rid of the boxWink

4-) To lay the item on railsDrool

5-) To seek the highest ways of pleasure from itLove Love

6-) To keep it in a place whereever I can see best....LOL

Cheers,

mehmet
Offline petestra  
#88 Posted : 15 March 2012 14:33:38(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Ian, currently 22 analog + 13 digital which I run analog. PeterCool
Offline Ian555  
#89 Posted : 15 March 2012 16:19:30(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi mehmet,

You were also looking for a BR45.

Ian.

Offline Ian555  
#90 Posted : 15 March 2012 16:21:11(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: utkan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

Hi Brandon,

There are certain steps for me;

1-) To come across the itemLove

2-) To pay a reasonable amountRollEyes

3-) To get rid of the boxWink

4-) To lay the item on railsDrool

5-) To seek the highest ways of pleasure from itLove Love

6-) To keep it in a place whereever I can see best....LOL

Cheers,

mehmet

Hi mehmet,

I like number 2.Smile

Ian.

Offline Ian555  
#91 Posted : 15 March 2012 16:23:44(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Peter,

Thanks, so you run you're digital loco's on a white transformer.

Ian.

Offline petestra  
#92 Posted : 15 March 2012 17:59:06(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Peter,

Thanks, so you run you're digital loco's on a white transformer.

Ian.

Yes Ian, I do. I now have 4 white transformers. I replaced the blue ones months ago just to be sure
as not to damage the new Loks. Peter

Offline Ian555  
#93 Posted : 15 March 2012 19:11:35(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Peter,

Thanks. ThumpUp

Ian
Offline jcrtrains  
#94 Posted : 15 March 2012 20:00:05(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
I am all analog with no plans to convert.

Well over a 100 now and I follow the same six step process as Mehmet. My current issue ( such a terrible issue to have!) is that I need another showcase!
Offline intruder  
#95 Posted : 16 March 2012 00:36:22(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Nigel Packer wrote:
Sometimes I think it is, after all, possible to have too many Märklin locos. And sometimes I think it isn't . . .

No, Nigel, it isn't.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline BR01097  
#96 Posted : 16 March 2012 04:19:01(UTC)
BR01097

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Ian,

If I read your post correctly it isn't about whether digital or analog is better or worth or what advantages or disadvantages they may have.
It opens up the forum who has what and for what purpose or reasons, if any.
Analog locos suit me, they are simple and straight forward but I've made the biggest mistake in my life, converting anlaog locos to digital and I can't stop converting them.BigGrin

John

The seller--a very nice and reputable guy in the State of Maine, with whom I've dealt many times--indicated the locomotive he had up for auction had had its wiring modified by one of its former owners, who put in his own. It was a #3021 Diesel express locomotive (Koll's version 12) which had an excellent, almost pristine finish. I could hardly pass up the discount seeing as it has a unique road number from my other two V200's. At worst, I'd get the motor running as a permanently-coupler double unit, or switch bodies. It also struck me as a perfect candidate for digital conversion, to which I am not necessarily opposed.

It turns out arriving on my doorstep that the finish is indeed well preserved, but the insides were not modified by its original owner, because it had come as the #3921 kit. As with analog locomotives fortunately most all of the "damage" was fixible and it was easily put to right. (The project engrossed me the whole day, I forgot about lunch and dinner.) A lot of the reward of this hobby is the elation over rescuing another locomotive given up for "dead", similar to the thrill I get in figuring out how my 42-year old car is engineered and getting it to run right again. It's what makes this a hobby and not just a pastime.

Edited by moderator 16 March 2012 12:15:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Collector of Märklin fine-quality trains since 1966.

Offline Ian555  
#97 Posted : 16 March 2012 09:08:51(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi jcrtrains,

Interested in your showcase, with all those analog Loco's, any photo's.

Ian.

Offline Ian555  
#98 Posted : 16 March 2012 09:11:14(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Svein,

I agree. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline Ian555  
#99 Posted : 16 March 2012 09:13:49(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Br01097,

All in a day's work. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#100 Posted : 17 March 2012 03:55:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
And, I have just scored an SK800, which will definitely stay analog (pictures will follow, when I get it).

Piccie as promised.

UserPostedImage

Other piccies are in the 'What locos did you buy in 2012' thread.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz