Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Token  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2012 13:06:51(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Hi all,

my first DIY attempt which has been a result of 1) Marklin only providing a contact track in equivalent 24094 section track and 2) some kind soul gave me a dremel for Christmas.

I have two hidden stations for which I need to have some form of track occupation alert or signal. Fortunately, I have found the CS2 in concert with the s88 fantastically simple to wire up to contact tracks. The latter seems to be the most simple solution for establishing blocks and requires very little maintenance (a must in considering options for a hidden station).

My hidden stations have five tracks each and support train lengths of up to 2.2m. Where they merge is on curved turnouts which means I need to have at least the end contact track built into one of the curved tracks. The overall design prevents me from fitting the 24995 contact track and therefore I have had to butcher one of the curves in order to create one.

I'm certain thisis nothing new to the more experienced hands out there but in the absense of a mentor, I will see how I go.

The process seems very simple. I have started with a small straight section (24077) which happens to sit right on the spot where the first loop begins to merge with the main line. Using the dremel with a fine cutter, I cut the outside track only, in the centre of the straight section. As fine as I have tried to make it, I notice the incision is just on 1mm thick. My main concern is;

1) is this cut too large to allow trouble free running of my trains?

2) has this process significantly weakened the structural integrity of the track?

For the last question, I am pondering whether I need to obtain rail joiners (plastic) to repair or would it be simpler to glue the area around the cut suffient to prevent movement?

Happt to hear any thoughts or shared experiences out there. I will keep you posted as to my progress and outcome.

Regards,

Token.
thanks 1 user liked this great post by Token
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2012 13:24:19(UTC)
H0

Hi, Token,

No need to cut the rail if it's OK to have one or more complete pieces of track in the contact track. Just make sure rails do not touch between track pieces (normally they don't, but seldomly they do). Use #74030 between pieces of track for the outer rail you want isolated.
Regards
Tom
---
Happy customer of Roco, Piko, Fleischmann, ESU, Brawa, Liliput, Rivarossi, Lima, ... - and will happily continue to buy locos that run well out of the box. I'm also happy with 95% of my Märklin items, but will avoid a few cost-optimized items made 2011 or later.
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 15 February 2012 20:33:03(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
There's another option as well if you just want to detect a loco and not rolling stock....

http://www.marklin-users...z/gbmc/detect/detect.htm

Cutting the outside rail is an easy thing to do, the track will not weaken. The trick is making the isolated section just the right length to be useful but not a hinderance.

Confirm the loco's you intend to run on it, some really small ones such as the "Glaskasten" would only have one wheel able to get outside rail current due to the tire on the other same-side wheel.

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this great post by cookee_nz
Offline Mark5  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2012 20:57:48(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
@cookee_nz

So glad to see this. I have been thinking about this problem.
Will let you know if I manage to do this with M-track.

Thanks for posting!
Interested in history of DB, DR and FS from about 1955 to 1965
Fan of signals and catenary; stations and yards. Is there anything else?

Offline Token  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2012 08:55:42(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Thanks for the advice guys - I will give your suggestion a go Tom as I think that will resolve the access vs maintenance issues I have been pondering. I will keep you posted as to how I go.

Regards,

Token.