Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2011 04:22:13(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Just a thought, with the silly-season looming, how many outsiders in Melbourne (or Victoria) might be interested in getting together for a cool Beer and talk Marklin sometime later in December or January?

Happy to have it at ours (Essendon area) or elsewhere.

Alternatively, does anyone here belong to an active MR club already where an additional guest or three would be welcome.

Just throwing some ideas out.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 07 December 2011 06:21:55(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Steve,

A good idea.

My wife does not need much of an excuse to go to Melbourne for a few days. But we will have to see what arrangements are likely, and when.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline DamonKelly  
#3 Posted : 07 December 2011 12:58:45(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Just a thought, with the silly-season looming, how many outsiders in Melbourne (or Victoria) might be interested in getting together for a cool Beer and talk Marklin sometime later in December or January?

Happy to have it at ours (Essendon area) or elsewhere.

Alternatively, does anyone here belong to an active MR club already where an additional guest or three would be welcome.

Just throwing some ideas out.

Cheers

Steve

The FD and I might be interested -- we've got lots of FF points, and have never been to Melbourne. We could make a mini holiday of it!
Cheers,
Damon
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2011 04:31:13(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Steve,

A good idea.

My wife does not need much of an excuse to go to Melbourne for a few days. But we will have to see what arrangements are likely, and when.

regards
Kimball

Well Kimball, I hope you make better progress than I am.

It must be the mention of a cold beer that's keeping everyone at bay - is Melbourne Beer really THAT bad?

We can make it a Coffee, Coca-Cola, Wine & Cheese get-together if others prefer.

I just KNOW there are other Marklineers in Melbourne, they just must be all really shy

Confused

Cookee
Melbourne
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#5 Posted : 11 December 2011 04:52:59(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   
Steve, might be interested! Be nice to get to know other local Marklinists!

BigGrin
Glenn
Offline nevw  
#6 Posted : 11 December 2011 05:56:44(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
The FD and Self will be in the deep south of Australia last weekend in January. We MAY be available for something on Saturday.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#7 Posted : 11 December 2011 06:10:59(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
The FD and Self will be in the deep south of Australia last weekend in January. We MAY be available for something on Saturday.

NN

I thought you didn't like mixing with Mexicans Nev! LOL LOL LOL BigGrin

Be happy to have you in custody- this side of the border! Cool
Glenn
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 11 December 2011 06:52:41(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bahn-an-arama Go to Quoted Post
Steve, might be interested! Be nice to get to know other local Marklinists!

BigGrin

Hi Glen, thanks for 'coming out', I was beginning to wonder if there might be a touch of embarrassment creeping in, not wanting to be seen drinking with a Kiwi and all that. LOL

I'm easy on when it should be, there's no rush but I figured the sooner we start throwing ideas about, the better the chances of fitting around those who are interested.

Let's see who else comes out of the woodwork.

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline black_pete  
#9 Posted : 11 December 2011 11:06:53(UTC)
black_pete

Australia   
Great idea Cookee

Not withstanding any other commitments - I'm in.

But these days my beer will have to be a Coke Zero BigGrin
Regards
Pete

expat Kiwi - now living in Melbourne

SBB Era IV & V - Digital - CS1 - C Track
Offline Maverick  
#10 Posted : 11 December 2011 19:46:54(UTC)
Maverick

The meeting seems like a great idea but unfortunately I wouldnt be able to make it this time around as i would be in India for my brother's wedding. Kindly have many more of these meetings in the future as it is a great learning experience for a newbie like me.
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 12 December 2011 02:08:52(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Maverick Go to Quoted Post
The meeting seems like a great idea but unfortunately I wouldnt be able to make it this time around as i would be in India for my brother's wedding. Kindly have many more of these meetings in the future as it is a great learning experience for a newbie like me.

What stops you for bringing your brother and the wedding party to the get-together ?BigGrin

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline nevw  
#12 Posted : 12 December 2011 08:38:10(UTC)
nevw

Australia   

NN

I thought you didn't like mixing with Mexicans Nev! LOL LOL LOL BigGrin

Be happy to have you in custody- this side of the border! Cool

REmember I am originally from Sleepy Hollow who won the Grand final this year AGAIN
must call down occasionally to see the rellies
NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline DV  
#13 Posted : 12 December 2011 10:40:06(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Wow, not only a Märklin connoisseurDrool and loverWub , but a Cats fan as wellWoot BigGrin .

Nev you are the coolest.ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Go the CatsWoot Woot
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline nevw  
#14 Posted : 12 December 2011 12:08:56(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: MMRCSA Go to Quoted Post
Wow, not only a Märklin connoisseurDrool and loverWub , but a Cats fan as wellWoot BigGrin .

Nev you are the coolest.ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Go the CatsWoot Woot

Them is the greatest.

Carn the Cats.

LOL RollEyes ThumpUp ThumpUp
Offline Tivvy  
#15 Posted : 31 December 2011 12:00:38(UTC)
Tivvy

Ahhemm... go the Tiges!!!

I am interested in some kind of catch up or running day, with no layout currently I need somewhere to run my trains :O
Ep IV / V Marklin Layout
6 track dead end station, twin track loop, 4 track through station.
Under construction.
Offline cookee_nz  
#16 Posted : 01 January 2012 00:27:26(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Tivvy Go to Quoted Post
Ahhemm... go the Tiges!!!

I am interested in some kind of catch up or running day, with no layout currently I need somewhere to run my trains :O

No worries, only a slight hiccup here, since proposing a get-together we have decided to move house and that will be taking place around 20th January.

I have my grandson here for the two coming weekends and then we move so it will be later January if that suits people - perhaps weekend of 28/29th Jan (Sat or Sun afternoon) ??

We are moving to Taylor's Lakes which is only about 10 minutes drive from Essendon, but unfortunately not near the Tram route (I will miss that convenience) although the Train station is less than 1km away so only a few minutes walk.

Who's keen if we make it that weekend?

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline xxup  
#17 Posted : 01 January 2012 04:10:58(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
... but unfortunately not near the Tram route (I will miss that convenience) although the Train station is less than 1km away so only a few minutes walk...

Sounds like a strategy to limit your escape options.. Cool
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline nevw  
#18 Posted : 01 January 2012 07:09:38(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Sorry Cookee, apologies, that is the weekend I will be in the area but have a family PDE in Geelong Sat and Sunday. Was originally SUnday now 2 days.

Hope you get a good turn up.

NN
Offline Tivvy  
#19 Posted : 03 January 2012 11:18:49(UTC)
Tivvy

I will have to see what my plans are, I may be going away that weekend if I can get Friday off as well as Australia Day.
Ep IV / V Marklin Layout
Under construction.
Offline cookee_nz  
#20 Posted : 12 January 2012 05:21:54(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Ok, well some things have developed since I first posed this suggestion.

These are the responses that came in....

Kimball (Brisbane) - Maybe
Damon (Brisbane) - Maybe
Nevw (Brisbane) - Maybe * last weekend of Jan

bah-an-arama (Glen, Melbourne) - Maybe
black-pete (Pete, Melbourne) - Yes
tivvy (Melbourne) - yes

Now, as per my previous post, we are moving house. And when I proposed the weekend of 28/29th I did not realise that many people would be making a long weekend of it.

Realising this we thought it was a great opportunity to get away ourselves, either to Bendigo or Sovereign Hill which I'm told is a must-do while we're here. Otherwise I would have probably shot down to Geelong for the model railway exhibition down there.

I still have to see if I can get Friday off but if I can then we'll probably take advantage of it.

This being the case, how is a weekend in early-mid Feb going to work??

If anyone has a preference please let me know because I'd like to accommodate as many interested people as I can and if a particular weekend doesn't suit only one person then it's easy to work around it and find another.

Please post your ideas asap so we can get something penciled in.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline nevw  
#21 Posted : 12 January 2012 08:28:37(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Steve thanks for the info on the Geelong Model show. I think I will be able to get there for about 2 hours either on Saturday or Sunday.

NN
Offline cookee_nz  
#22 Posted : 12 January 2012 08:35:34(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Steve thanks for the info on the Geelong Model show. I think I will be able to get there for about 2 hours either on Saturday or Sunday.

NN

I'm sure this won't infringe any copyrights..... and free publicity - they should pay us!!
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
geelongshow.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#23 Posted : 12 January 2012 11:02:20(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
And people here moan about our admission prices to Railex..........and we have Marklin!
Offline cookee_nz  
#24 Posted : 12 January 2012 11:18:57(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
And people here moan about our admission prices to Railex..........and we have Marklin!

Yeah, although to be fair, they do include a free copy of the Magazine (link) which is actually quite a good read and is itself $5.00 cover price.

I've been to all the shows I can here, have not yet purchased a magazine and yet a have a year's worth of issues and only one double-up so far. It's not actually too bad of a deal, but then I'm comparing that against all the other rip-offs in Melbourne where a half-decent time will cost you a half-decent paypacket!!

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kimballthurlow  
#25 Posted : 12 January 2012 11:57:44(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Steve,

I am still a maybe, and sometime in February may suit.
I have to finalise a few things here at home (finish off a new kitchen), before I advise a likely date.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#26 Posted : 29 January 2012 11:49:09(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   
Steve, pencil me in for mid-Feb. I can bring my latest 3022 ESU-digital addition to keep your mouth from drying out! LOL LOL LOL

However, circustances could change anytime as my wife is 29 weeks. But let's see. BigGrin
Glenn
Offline nevw  
#27 Posted : 30 January 2012 00:11:57(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Got 2 wonderful locos at the Geelong show. see other posts.
NN
Offline cookee_nz  
#28 Posted : 04 February 2012 10:05:30(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Steve, pencil me in for mid-Feb. I can bring my latest 3022 ESU-digital addition to keep your mouth from drying out! LOL LOL LOL

However, circustances could change anytime as my wife is 29 weeks. But let's see. BigGrin

Hi all - how does next weekend 11/12th suit anyone who is interested? - either Saturday or Sunday afternoon, say around 2pm give or take?? At Taylors Lakes (Sydenham)

Sorry for somewhat short notice but the weeks are ticking by and this next weekend happens to be clear but the only one clear for the next 4 weeks so lets see if we can make it happen

What say ye all??

Cheers

Cookee

Edited by user 05 February 2012 02:33:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#29 Posted : 05 February 2012 02:14:43(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   
Steve, good for me if we can get others interested and make it a mini-event! lol

ThumpUp
Glenn
Offline cookee_nz  
#30 Posted : 05 February 2012 02:33:16(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Steve, good for me if we can get others interested and make it a mini-event! lol

ThumpUp

Excellent Glenn,

Well that's two of us and I'm happy if just one makes it so any additions are a bonus.

Do you have a preference for Saturday or Sunday?

We're easy either way

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Tivvy  
#31 Posted : 05 February 2012 04:57:14(UTC)
Tivvy

Hi Cookee,

Not 100% sure yet, I think I will be camping at wilsons prom this weekend but not yet confirmed. I guess Sunday would have a better chance of me making it by leaving a bit early or on saturday.

Do you have a layout that we could run some trains on? If so, what is the longest train you can fit? And what controller do you use?

Cheers,
Caillin
Ep IV / V Marklin Layout
Under construction.
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#32 Posted : 05 February 2012 05:10:15(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   

ThumpUp

Excellent Glenn,

Well that's two of us and I'm happy if just one makes it so any additions are a bonus.

We're easy either way

Cheers

Cookee

Steve, preferably Saturday. As Tivvy asked- do you have your layout up and running(I'm sure it would have been set-up first after you moved)- I can bring some locos over for the event!

PM with your details etc.. and I'll send you my mobile number.

CHeerz ThumpUp

Glenn
Offline cookee_nz  
#33 Posted : 05 February 2012 11:31:00(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

ThumpUp

Excellent Glenn,

We're easy either way

Cheers

Cookee

Steve, preferably Saturday. As Tivvy asked- do you have your layout up and running(I'm sure it would have been set-up first after you moved)- I can bring some locos over for the event!

PM with your details etc.. and I'll send you my mobile number.

CHeerz ThumpUp

I've got the shop display layout that I've be refurbishing, see my link which includes a short you tube video

The layout is circuit divided into three ovals, I can run analogue or Digital - I have a a standard blue controller, a Digital 6022 and my Intellibox, plus a wireless Infra-red controller similar to Delta which was a bit of fun to play with.

The layout runs automatically and is supposed to have a separate controller for each circuit, mainly to give independant speed control for the characteristics of each loco - it 'can' run all three off the one Blue controller but then you get one loco too fast and one too slow.

If I have all digital Lok's running then that is less of an issue.

It's a relatively small layout, 1m x 2m, so looong trains will run but the loco will be looking at their tail light on the curves BigGrin (something about the bird of paradise???)

But it runs and I have a bit of fun with it.

Answer your questions?

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#34 Posted : 06 February 2012 09:49:30(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Tivvy Go to Quoted Post
Hi Cookee,

Not 100% sure yet, I think I will be camping at wilsons prom this weekend but not yet confirmed. I guess Sunday would have a better chance of me making it by leaving a bit early or on saturday.

Do you have a layout that we could run some trains on? If so, what is the longest train you can fit? And what controller do you use?

Cheers,
Caillin

Ok, if it suits better I can now defer to the following weekend.

I thought we were going to be away but those plans have changed so if it suits anyone better, the weekend of 18/19th is also good, and allows a little more notice.

I'm also wondering if we should open it to the Marklin B&G members?, if there are any there who are not on this forum?

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image