Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline perz  
#1 Posted : 03 November 2011 23:16:36(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
How do you do to connect the outer rails on K-track on a permanent layout? Do you use the 7500 ground connector or are there better methods? I have tried soldering but it does not work, at least not with normal solder and a normal soldering iron. I'm afraid the 7500 may give bad contact in the long term due to corrotion etc.

The center rail is no problem. It can be soldered at the contact fingers between the segments.
Offline nevw  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2011 23:43:55(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Perz,
with the type of steel used in the rail, there are 2 ways:
Use Orthophosphoric acid as the flux. and Lead/tin Solder

Or Silver solder and a Paste Silver solder flux.

NN

NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Fredrik  
#3 Posted : 04 November 2011 00:00:19(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
You can solder to the rail-joints, that's where I've made most of my ground connections. Works fine. :)

Like said before - it is possible also to solder to the rail itself, yet requires additional "items" like nevw stated.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline kbvrod  
#4 Posted : 04 November 2011 00:22:20(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Perz,all,

Originally Posted by: perz Go to Quoted Post
How do you do to connect the outer rails on K-track on a permanent layout? Do you use the 7500 ground connector or are there better methods? I have tried soldering but it does not work, at least not with normal solder and a normal soldering iron. I'm afraid the 7500 may give bad contact in the long term due to corrotion etc.
The center rail is no problem. It can be soldered at the contact fingers between the segments.

M K is stainless steel and requires special solder.I always got some Atlas code 100 rail joiners and soldered to those.
3rd rail: take a rotary motor tool and grind away the chemical blackener on the underside of the K-track,then you can solder a feeder wire anywhere you want.

Dr D
Offline perz  
#5 Posted : 04 November 2011 15:50:10(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Fredrik Go to Quoted Post
You can solder to the rail-joints, that's where I've made most of my ground connections. Works fine. :)

Like said before - it is possible also to solder to the rail itself, yet requires additional "items" like nevw stated.

I have tried to solder to the rail-joints, but I didn't succeed. Kevin's advice to get rail-joints made of another more easily solderable material might be the solution. I have also thought of conductive glue. I know it exists but it seems to be very difficult to get hold of it.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 19 November 2011 23:23:08(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline kbvrod  
#7 Posted : 19 November 2011 23:41:25(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Welcome back Dale!!!ThumpUp

Dr D
Offline perz  
#8 Posted : 04 December 2011 00:13:28(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
I finally managed to solder to the rail joints. I just had to get a really fat soldering iron. The one I normally use for other soldering work did not do it.
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#9 Posted : 04 December 2011 00:37:34(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
I finally managed to solder to the rail joints. I just had to get a really fat soldering iron. The one I normally use for other soldering work did not do it.

One important thing that one must think of when soldering is that not only should the solder itself be warm, so should the wire/material you are soldering to. Of course this "trick" varies by material used, but I try to follow this "trick" if possible and if it can be done without damaging components or other critical parts. If both parts are warm the solder will bond better and the end result will get better than if one of the materials is warm and the other cold. This is what I have learned myself from practicing and other experience. I am sure you know this already, just wanted to lift it. Smile
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline kbvrod  
#10 Posted : 04 December 2011 01:10:57(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi perz,all,

No need.Replace the M rail joiners with either Atlas/Peco code 100.

Dr D