Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MikeK  
#51 Posted : 11 September 2010 02:51:36(UTC)
MikeK

Denmark   
Nice :)

Will be following this thread to see your progress, I always love to see the development of a layout!

Not sure what you mean by giving your buildings 12mm more height, but I think having just a little height difference between the different buildings, or between the buildings and the track will be a nice touch :)

^__^
Mike
A single track on the floor is better than no track at all...
Offline klarinettmeister  
#52 Posted : 11 September 2010 12:27:42(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
MikeK wrote:
Nice :)

Will be following this thread to see your progress, I always love to see the development of a layout!

Not sure what you mean by giving your buildings 12mm more height, but I think having just a little height difference between the different buildings, or between the buildings and the track will be a nice touch :)

^__^
Mike

Thanks Mike. I´ll update it as soon there´s some progress.

I´m thinking mostly of the station. It looks a little to low and the cars touch the roof when they pass by. I´ve read in an article in MM some time ago that you could use 4 mm. plywood between the C-track and another 3 mm. plywood on top of that. That´s 7 mm. Now I´ve found out WS has foam core that´s 1/4 inch=6,35 mm. They aren´t cheap, but I know they are made of good quality and my test showed that 12 mm. is too much!
Offline MikeK  
#53 Posted : 11 September 2010 14:17:41(UTC)
MikeK

Denmark   
klarinettmeister wrote:

I´m thinking mostly of the station. It looks a little to low and the cars touch the roof when they pass by. I´ve read in an article in MM some time ago that you could use 4 mm. plywood between the C-track and another 3 mm. plywood on top of that. That´s 7 mm. Now I´ve found out WS has foam core that´s 1/4 inch=6,35 mm. They aren´t cheap, but I know they are made of good quality and my test showed that 12 mm. is too much!

Did you consider using expanded polystyrene? it is cheap, comes in different thicknesses and is easy to cut with the right tools :)

UserPostedImage
Offline klarinettmeister  
#54 Posted : 11 September 2010 20:49:40(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
MikeK wrote:
klarinettmeister wrote:

Did you consider using expanded polystyrene? it is cheap, comes in different thicknesses and is easy to cut with the right tools :)

UserPostedImage

No. I´ve only been thinking about the foam. The problem is that all the shops around here sells 30 mm. thickness and up... But I´m considering ordering this when I´m ordering the missing rails. Foam sheets. My plan is to cut strips for the Bonn-station and a few buildings from Walthers and use rest of it for the road. I´ll try having my Faller bus from the Car System I bought in Hamburg.

The military buildings from Faller will be on a piece of 12 mm. plywood.
Offline Webmaster  
#55 Posted : 11 September 2010 21:16:09(UTC)
Webmaster

Looks good, David. ThumpUp
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline klarinettmeister  
#56 Posted : 11 September 2010 21:35:20(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Webmaster wrote:

Thanks Juhan!

It´s evening now, But I gotta do something. Here´s entertainment for tonight. Painting the railings while looking at Jarhead on BD. Assemble the railing and ammunition boxes and also the wire. I´ve found a piece of plywood I have to cut tomorrow. I haven´t decided which colour for the railings but I think I´ll go with Revell 90 metallic silver. Unfortantely I don´t have any good colours for the base and I doubt "Elk flesh" is appropriate...

UserPostedImage
Offline MikeK  
#57 Posted : 11 September 2010 21:56:59(UTC)
MikeK

Denmark   
klarinettmeister wrote:

No. I´ve only been thinking about the foam. The problem is that all the shops around here sells 30 mm. thickness and up... But I´m considering ordering this when I´m ordering the missing rails. Foam sheets. My plan is to cut strips for the Bonn-station and a few buildings from Walthers and use rest of it for the road. I´ll try having my Faller bus from the Car System I bought in Hamburg.

The military buildings from Faller will be on a piece of 12 mm. plywood.

You are right, that is really an expensive option, but I'm sure its a nice product :)
Offline klarinettmeister  
#58 Posted : 12 September 2010 01:19:26(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
The railing is painted and assembled. There´s only space for the big barracks and the headquarters. I´m going to use the small barrack and the tank storage building on another place on the layout, just as in the reality.

Tomorrow I´ll cut the plywood, drill holes for the lighting and paint the ground and then it will be finished. There will be a mix of american and german WWII-soldiers. (Yes, I took the wrong box last time but I was in a hurry as the store was about to be closed).

UserPostedImage
Offline Loadmaster  
#59 Posted : 12 September 2010 01:43:26(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
klarinettmeister wrote:
Webmaster wrote:

Thanks Juhan!

It´s evening now, But I gotta do something. Here´s entertainment for tonight. Painting the railings while looking at Jarhead on BD. Assemble the railing and ammunition boxes and also the wire. I´ve found a piece of plywood I have to cut tomorrow. I haven´t decided which colour for the railings but I think I´ll go with Revell 90 metallic silver. Unfortantely I don´t have any good colours for the base and I doubt "Elk flesh" is appropriate...

UserPostedImage

So you must be a Marine!!!! I'm a retired Flyboy on the C-5 aircraft. I've been reading all your posting and are you located in military housing? I was based at Ramstein AB, Germany and since flight quesrter are not spaceous, I discovered Z scale. Now that I'm retired and have a whold house, well maybe a spare bedroom, I've returned to HOac. Now my wife wants a garden RR and I tooke her shopping for LGB trains, she was shocked at the price. I purchased a M* 1 sscale live steam engine while in Deutschland, but haven't run it YET

Robert
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-VUserPostedImage
Offline klarinettmeister  
#60 Posted : 12 September 2010 02:00:18(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Loadmaster wrote:

So you must be a Marine!!!! I'm a retired Flyboy on the C-5 aircraft. I've been reading all your posting and are you located in military housing? I was based at Ramstein AB, Germany and since flight quesrter are not spaceous, I discovered Z scale. Now that I'm retired and have a whold house, well maybe a spare bedroom, I've returned to HOac. Now my wife wants a garden RR and I tooke her shopping for LGB trains, she was shocked at the price. I purchased a M* 1 sscale live steam engine while in Deutschland, but haven't run it YET

Robert

Robert, I´m not a marine and has never been. We have something that´s a little equivalent in our country but it´s very physical. I´m just a protective guard and have a rank as a 1st sergeant. C-5 aircraft!! Wow, that´s amazing. I´ve only been flying gliders.
It´s nice you have so much space. That´s what I´m dreaming of. My apartment is 30 Square meters.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#61 Posted : 12 September 2010 22:44:14(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Today I´ve cleaned my apartment and thrown away almost all my old VHS-cassettes. I have cut out the plywood and the the cutout was perfect for storing boxes for the rails. (Pics to come).

Just now I ordered the missing rails and some other stuff. Among the ordered stuff was Faller 120199. I couldn´t resist and it will fit in perfectly. I´ll propably but one more, but maybe it will look strange as they will not be together because of the curved station track. And it will also be in the way for the military diorama... Hmmm. I also ordered 2 boxes of foam sheets = 8 sheets. I´ll propably get the stuff on tuesday. Of course I forgot to order ballast for the tracks and the barracks...
Offline klarinettmeister  
#62 Posted : 13 September 2010 23:24:58(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Today I´ve done some boring things that´s not possible to see from the viewers. I´ve cut out the plywood under the turnouts. That way I can change the motor or electronics without removing the switches. Of course I forgot to cut out for the 24672. But it doesn´t matter as I haven´t got the correct position for it. Here´s tonight updates. Enjoy!

UserPostedImage
The buildings are plaeced where they are supposed to be. The road and most of the buildings will be on 6,35 mm. foam sheets. They will propably arrive tomorrow. Unfortantely I couldn´t find any space for the Amtrak station...

UserPostedImage
The result of the painted plywood. It looked terrible when I was finished, but together with the buildings it looks ok. Of course there vill be some sand and grass. The 6 holes are drilled for the LED lighting Brawa 3401. The barracks have 12 mm. height and the road around it will be 6,35 mm if everything goes as planned.
I´ve also drilled the plastic in the Walthers buildings behind and installed Brawa 3401 LED lighting in all 4 buildings.

UserPostedImage
The 2 trucks represents where the road will be. I want to use my Faller car system bus there. Will have to do a test first.

During the weekend I´ve done the ultimate test. My full length ICE 3 and my full length ICE Amtrak have been running forwards and backwards on the outer loop in full speed (not at the same time). No problems observed.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#63 Posted : 14 September 2010 04:34:01(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks for the continuation.

Isn't C track great!!

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep III, C Track, digital) - 2 rail (USA and Australia) - 3 rail (English Hornby Dublo) - a few old O gauge.
Offline river6109  
#64 Posted : 14 September 2010 05:34:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
David,
thanks for sharing your layout with us and giving us the inside story of c-track turnouts.

I haven't seen the inside of the micro switches (picture).
Can you elobarate a bit more, what you've actually done and how.

Also can you explain why the tunrout switches fail ?
You said a build up of dirt, etc etc.
Having had problems with mine, not so much the micro switches but the PCB having faulty contacts.
These micro switches are also used in the switching c - track and they sometimes do not return to their neutral position, your idea of solving the problem may help these track switches aswell.

John

http://www.youtube.com/river6109
http://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Loadmaster  
#65 Posted : 14 September 2010 05:39:50(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
David,

How many cars in the ICE 3?

Robert
Offline Ian555  
#66 Posted : 14 September 2010 06:00:36(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi David,

Great progress. ThumpUp

Ian.
Offline Ranjit  
#67 Posted : 14 September 2010 10:06:23(UTC)
Ranjit

Malaysia   
Looking really nice, David. Keep up the good work!

Have you decided that the layout is going to be only single level?

Cheers,
Ranjit
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
Offline klarinettmeister  
#68 Posted : 14 September 2010 12:37:30(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Thanks for the replies! It feels very good with your feedback.

Kimball, the C-track is really, really good. Perfect for storing everything under.

John, I have 15 motors and I´ve been having lots and lots of problems just like yours. They would simply not move. Some motors failed in one direction, some didn´t move at all. Hope my solution helps you. If you want to restore the motors to original, just use the solder pen and remove the solder material.

Robert, there are 8 cars in my ICE 3. They consist of 37780 (3 cars), 43707, 43717, 43727, 43737 and 43747. I´ve a picture for you.

Thanks Ian! I feel so energetic about this project I haven´t been playing any Playstation 3 for almost 2 weeks now!

Thanks Ranjit! Yes. I´ve decided on one level. Mostly due to technical reasons. It will be much easier to move the layout if I find a bigger apartment (and a job).

Here´s an update this morning.

As usual I have to do something in the night and here´s the result. I've cheated a little and painted the "metal" parts before reomving them from the moulds the night before. I´ve also got a big bo with some nice stuff.

UserPostedImage
The hammers, the saws, the shovels are soooo tiny!!! I actually lost one of the 18 shovels...

UserPostedImage
Here´s my broken motor 74490 in detail. Note the black microscopic peg at the upper microswitch. That´s the connection between the switch and the copperblade!

UserPostedImage
Can you even see this?? It´s so tiny. That copperblade with the spring is what could fail. On that tiny copperblad there are 2 contact points. One over and one over and works just like the switching mechanism for front/rear lighting as in some trains like the Silberlinge 4160, the S-bahn 4390 and so on. The contact points are less than 1 mm. and they have to direct strong currents! I´ve seen suggestions using sandpaper to get rid of the dirt. I´ve tried but failed to assemble the microswitches. And yes, I have tiny fingers! therefore I just solder the microswitches at their legs.

UserPostedImage
Yes! Yes! A new shipment has arrived!

UserPostedImage
Here are the contents from Brawa, Faller, Märklin and Woodland Scenics.

UserPostedImage
Complete ICE 3 with 8 cars. And yes... 3 light bulbs are broken and needs to be replaced. In the background you can see my 3700 ICE Amtrak with the 8 cars.
Offline river6109  
#69 Posted : 14 September 2010 12:44:34(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
David, thanks for the picture.

Having heard your reasons for the failure of the micro switches, my suspicion of failure is also pointing at the spring.
As mentioned before, the same micro switch used in the switching c-track the spring should be strong enough to return the sviveling arm back to its neutral position.
I did'nt think you could take them apart but seeing you have done it, I'll try it myself and have look if anything can be done with the spring or replace it with a slight stronger or stretch it out slightly.

Thanks again for your trouble,

regatrding your last picture with the 2 Ice trains, I've replaced the bulbs with Led's and the resistor is placed behind the globeholder.
Having the lights on fo a long time, they get very hot and deform the light reflector.

regards.,

John
Offline klarinettmeister  
#70 Posted : 14 September 2010 13:18:06(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
river6109 wrote:
David, thanks for the picture.

Having heard your reasons for the failure of the micro switches, my suspicion of failure is also pointing at the spring.
As mentioned before, the same micro switch used in the switching c-track the spring should be strong enough to return the sviveling arm back to its neutral position.
I did'nt think you could take them apart but seeing you have done it, I'll try it myself and have look if anything can be done with the spring or replace it with a slight stronger or stretch it out slightly.

Thanks again for your trouble,

regatrding your last picture with the 2 Ice trains, I've replaced the bulbs with Led's and the resistor is placed behind the globeholder.
Having the lights on fo a long time, they get very hot and deform the light reflector.

regards.,

John

Hope it works for you. A tip! Unsolder the microswitches before you open them. If you try open them it´s easy to pry them off the PCB and destroying parts of the PCB.

Thanks for the tip with the LED:s. I did some testing before with LED in the ICE 3. It worked perfect and was about to change in the whole train before I realised a problem. The problem was, it only worked in one direction...The ICE 3 converts the AC to DC for lighting and the poles changes over the direction of travel. The Brawa LED bulbs for the houses work perfect as they propably have diodes in them, but they are too big to fit in the light diffusor. Have you changed the lights for ICE 1 and ICE 2? I guess there´s AC current. I really hope someone will make replacement LEDs in the same size as the 610080.

UserPostedImage
I opened the box for the Faller 120199. So many parts!!! It will take forever. The Bonn station was just the ouverture and this is the whole opera!!
Offline klarinettmeister  
#71 Posted : 21 September 2010 01:02:55(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
It's been almost a week since I updated my thread. I´ve been busy meeting friends and family and preparing for my 2 weeks in Scotland beginning next thursday.

What's new?
-All tracks are placed.
-Wiring under the table has been made, but not completed.
-The Faller platform is almost completed (the accessory set is going to be used too).
-Some foam sheets have been cut to give some height for the station and the platform.
-Installed lighting in the station.
-A new small section of catenary is installed.

What´s next:
-Install LED-lights in the covered platform and the Faller military buildings (will propably change the plywood base for foam sheet base).
-Connect rest of the turnouts (table 2).

Problems:
-Overhead wire at the station. The station is on one side and the covered platform is on the other. No space for catenary mast. Solution: move the covered platform one track.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
The Brawa LED lights are very white. I changed the LED for an ordinary light bulb inside the waiting hall. That light bulb is easy to change. Just lift the roof. Rest of the lights are LEDs. That way you don´t need to change them as they should have almost unlimited lifespan. Does it look strange?
Offline river6109  
#72 Posted : 21 September 2010 02:00:34(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
David,
There is someone out there that makes Led's with a screw & bayonetfitting.

found it: http://www.trainaidsa.com/shop-leds.shtml

John
Offline Ian555  
#73 Posted : 21 September 2010 08:03:30(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi David,

The layout is looking great. ThumpUp

I hope you enjoy your time in Scotland.

Ian.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#74 Posted : 21 September 2010 12:14:41(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
river6109 wrote:
David,
There is someone out there that makes Led's with a screw & bayonetfitting.

found it: http://www.trainaidsa.com/shop-leds.shtml

John

Thanks John! It´s no real help before it´s possible to make small LEDs with legs. Replacements for the 610080. The Brawa house lights have screw fitting, but they are a little longer than ordinary bulbs. The base ise the same as from Faller, Beli-beco and a lots of other kind.

Thanks Ian! I´m getting nervous. I don´t know what my orders will be. I don´t know if I have to travel next thursday or friday. I even don´t know which uniform I need for the job. But I guess it´s the green one. I´ll propably get some information this week.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#75 Posted : 29 September 2010 13:04:06(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
This will be my last update for 2 weeks. I haven´t done anything that you can see from above. All the turnouts but one are connected. I need to buy blue cable and some brown and yellow sockets and plugs.

I´ve just installed lightning inside one of the military buildings. I experimented and used 2 lampsockets with an ordinary light bulb and a white LED. The result is on the picture. It´s not that yellow and not that white.

Tonight I´ll start my trip for Scotland!

UserPostedImage
Offline Ian555  
#76 Posted : 29 September 2010 13:30:50(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi David,

We're expecting heavy rain for the next 2 to 3 days.Smile

Have a great time over here in Scotland.

Ian.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#77 Posted : 29 September 2010 13:54:29(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Ian555 wrote:
Hi David,

We're expecting heavy rain for the next 2 to 3 days.Smile

Have a great time over here in Scotland.

Ian.

Thanks Ian for the heads up! I saw the weather forecast for Sweden yesterday but the woman was standing just in front of Scotland! I´ve got my raincoat in my backpack.
Offline jeehring  
#78 Posted : 04 December 2010 13:43:33(UTC)
jeehring

.....this is the first time I come here on this INTERESTING topic....Before it's too late, allow me to suggest something : I didn't see any "uncoupling track"...why don't you install few of them at the right place, it gives more fun when playing, rolling, maneuvering, operating,...etc...
( their lenght = half of a 188 mm piece of track...)
Offline Loadmaster  
#79 Posted : 04 December 2010 19:10:35(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
David,

How is your layout progressing? We have not seen any progress photos since September.

Robert
Offline klarinettmeister  
#80 Posted : 05 December 2010 09:58:17(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Hey there!

There´s been no update because there hasn´t been any. I´m not pleased with the layout.
The Big Boys hit the station when I want them to go to/from the sidetrack. I should have been thinking about that before I placed the station.
The S curve before the station really looks ugly.
There are only 2 station tracks that can house full lenght trains and I don´t like the curves as station tracks.
There is no real goods yard (where I could have uncoupler tracks), only tracks where I can put my trains.
I´m now using it for driving my trains, till I´ve come up with a better plan.

The lack of space in my apartment makes it impossible to fulfill my layout dreams Crying
Offline Chris6382chris  
#81 Posted : 05 December 2010 17:30:57(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Hang in there David. I know the feeling. And if you are running the Big Boy what a challenge. My wife often will ask me what is wrong when I am in my train room because I will be so silent. I have to reassure her that I am great, I am just focused on a particular problem with my layout design and am trying to come up with a better plan. LOL

Chris
Offline klarinettmeister  
#82 Posted : 05 December 2010 18:15:52(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Chris6382chris wrote:
Hang in there David. I know the feeling. And if you are running the Big Boy what a challenge. My wife often will ask me what is wrong when I am in my train room because I will be so silent. I have to reassure her that I am great, I am just focused on a particular problem with my layout design and am trying to come up with a better plan. LOL

Chris

Thanks Chris! Thanks for the courage! Maybe I´ll just change some turnouts and some tracks and focus on that. The Big Boys are a real challenge. They hit the signs in my waiting hall so I have to remove them till I give them some more height.

I´ve looked at your thread and you're layout turns out fine. BigGrin
Planning is very important so I don´t know how I missed the part with the station... It really is a beginner´s mistake.

Any suggestions for improvements are welcome.
Offline Chris6382chris  
#83 Posted : 05 December 2010 19:21:33(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks for the kind words. My layout is coming along but I am keeping things really simple. I have also made a decision to limit the size of my engines and rolling stock (all of my curves are R1).

I did buy a Ludmilla but besides that all my engines are tank locomotives and one V60 Diesel. I am actually thinking of selling the Ludmilla and adding a couple more steam engines (again keeping the length relatively short) the Ludmilla is just a bit to big for the layout I think.

To have three Big Boys on your layout that would be a challenge.

Chris

Edited by user 05 December 2010 19:35:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline klarinettmeister  
#84 Posted : 20 February 2011 23:37:53(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Now I´ve begun with a new layout again. The size will be 5040*1244. There are 2 tables (1800*1244) with 4 frames (1080+1440+1440+1080, based on 360) with 1244 mm. width. It will be in 3 layers. The tables and frames are assembled. Pictures will come.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline Ian555  
#85 Posted : 21 February 2011 08:13:59(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi David,

Have fun with the new layout.

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline klarinettmeister  
#86 Posted : 23 February 2011 08:24:29(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Thank you Ian!

It will take some time before it´s finished (if it will be) as I´m missing a lot of tracks.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#87 Posted : 17 March 2011 10:38:26(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
After seeing alot of inspiring pictures I decided to order the Walthers rolling mill 933-2971 as there was a shop here in Sweden that had it in their stock.
I´ve painted some details with humbrol 90 and Humbrol 65 (aircraft blue, matt). I´ve also the blast furnace on order which propably will be here in a month time and I´ll plan my layout according to those buildings. And yes, the other layout project is now on ice so this is mostly to keep my interest in the hobby and to avoid being a gamer-junkie. I´ve also been inspired by the layout of Christoffer in the modular type of design.

I´m pretty impressed with the paints. They are 11 years old and I only used a stick to stir the paints and they were perfect to use!

UserPostedImage
Huge box. About 25 sprues.

UserPostedImage
First parts are painted with Humbrol 90.

UserPostedImage
Even some more details painted with Humbrol 90 and 65.

UserPostedImage
This is how it looked yesterday, after 2 days work (6 hours).

Today I´ll have to go to Malmö just to buy some yellow paint for the railings and some other paint for the roof/walls and the supportbeams. I've no idead what kind of paint I need. Suggestions? Will the Humbrol 65 look strange on the support beams?
Offline MikeK  
#88 Posted : 17 March 2011 21:17:24(UTC)
MikeK

Denmark   
Wauw - that is a nice model :) Hope you will post pictures as the work progresses :)

^__^
Mike
Offline kariosls37  
#89 Posted : 18 March 2011 06:51:22(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
That looks like an impressive structureThumpUp I agree that Humbrols are brilliant. Some of my jars survived a move halfway around the globe almost a decade ago, and I still use themThumpUp
I have no idea of what colour the parts should be, but google is your friend. One thing I will say is that there is a very good chance that everything will be coated in a mix of rust and grime, so don't make it too clean. Again, google for photos, they will be a great help.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#90 Posted : 18 March 2011 13:28:36(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Mike, Some pictures will come this evening.

I bought some new colours yesterday in Malmö. So now the rails are painted yellow and are in place. I also painted the 2 roofstacks in brown Gloss 10.

Right now I´m preparing the 2 side walls, the 8 side walls and the 8 roof parts for painting. I´ll be using Matt 28. I´ll paint every detail and will let them dry. Then I´ll glue them together when the support beams are in place.

On the support beams I´ll use Matt 157. Will propably not be finished with the paint jobs today.

I´ve learned the hard way to let the colours dry before you glue. I didn´t yesterday so one ladder became terrible so I had to paint it again. Also I dropped half of the yellow paint bottle on the ground floor. I wiped it off with some paper. It looks pretty ok.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#91 Posted : 18 March 2011 16:32:38(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
A small update.

UserPostedImage
Here are the yellow painted handrails. Painted in Humbrol 24.

UserPostedImage
All but one wall are painted in Humbrol 28. All but 3 roofs are painted in the darker Humbrol 27. I guess I have to do a new order.
Offline Ian555  
#92 Posted : 18 March 2011 16:46:41(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi David,

That will be a great looking structure, how big is it when assembled?

Ian.

Offline river6109  
#93 Posted : 18 March 2011 17:28:31(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
David,

Looks like you've got a storing or drinking problem.LOL

John
Offline klarinettmeister  
#94 Posted : 18 March 2011 18:30:11(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Ian, the base is about 81*26 cm. There´s also a platform for 2 smokestacks that makes it 30 cm wide. So it´s quite a big structure. There are lines for the sides at the edges of the base so the building size is the same as the base.

John, you take what you´ve got. BigGrin But it´s only bottles with different kinds of oil and balsamico so it´s not that exciting.The bottles with the "more special" liquid are stored elsewhere. The only space I could do this was in the kitchen.

Well, time to glue the 13 girder assemblies together (39 parts).
Offline klarinettmeister  
#95 Posted : 19 March 2011 00:05:56(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Here´s tonight's update.

UserPostedImage

The 13 girder assemblies are painted in Humbrol 157. I´ve "only" painted the brackets (took forever) and the visible parts. Now the sectioned roofs are glued together and left to dry on the floor. That paint bottle is also empty, so now I´ve emptied 3 bottles of paint!

Not that much left now. Only the side walls, the smoke stacks, the roof and the ventilation. There are 2 alternatives for venting. The first one is the monitor type, which looks like an extra smaller roof on the roof. The 2nd one is the cylindrical type with 8 cylindrical vents spread evenly on the roof on the rear side. I´ve chosen to go with the cylindrical type. Or what do you think?

I also need lighting. I´ve bought 10 LEDs that I can install in serial and parallell (2*5) but I don´t know how I should install them. It´s not easy changing them if there are any problems if I glue the roof, which I have to. Or I could glue some Brawa white LED's on the front wall. That way I could reach the bulbs from the rear and change if I want to but they will be propably be visible from the tracks...

Edited by user 19 March 2011 00:14:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline klarinettmeister  
#96 Posted : 19 March 2011 18:07:51(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
New update:

UserPostedImage
Some lighting. 6 LEDs from Brawa.

UserPostedImage
Welcome in to the machinehall.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
This is how it looks like inside.

UserPostedImage
The completed rolling mill. I´ve chosen the monitor type vents, but they aren´t glued to the roof so they are removable. Also there´s one loose roof panel if I want to acces the building from above.

The only thing missing are the some Preiserlings and some more paint and maybe a crane. But otherwise it´s complete!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline Christoffer  
#97 Posted : 19 March 2011 18:14:47(UTC)
Christoffer

Norway   
Impressive structure you got there David! Cool. bet it would fit good on your layout!

Good job!
Offline Ian555  
#98 Posted : 19 March 2011 18:22:53(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi David,

Looks really good, I like the photo looking at the inside of the building.ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline klarinettmeister  
#99 Posted : 19 March 2011 19:01:16(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Thank you Christoffer. If I had a layout maybe it would fit. Now I really have to have something to have the rolling mill on. The blast furnace is propably on it´s way too and it´s just a little smaller than this building.

Thank you Ian! There are lot more pictures from the construction too. I´ll see if I do a video with them.
Offline kariosls37  
#100 Posted : 19 March 2011 20:22:05(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
The rolling mill has turned out very realistic. IMHO it could still use a lot of dust/dirt. Other details hat you could add is a slab of steel being rolled. a bit of thick styrene and a bit of thinner styrene a dull grey colour and stick them on either side of the rollers. if it's a hot rolling mill you can use clear styrene painted a orange-red colour and install an orange LED below it to give the steel a warm glow.
If you buy the other steelmaking facilities as well you have the beginnings of a compact and interesting industrial layout or diorama.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kariosls37