Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline James  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2010 20:42:53(UTC)
James

Canada   
Greetings all:

I've decided to try to operate my layout through a PC and so far, it's eluding me. Sooo, I've come to the experts in regards to this dilemma of mine. From what I can discern, the first thing I have to do is get the two talking to each other. This about where everything craps out. I'm using the CS2 and trying to get it to comunicate with my Windows 7 based Toshiba laptop connected through a DLink switch (which I was told would automatically register the necessary IP addresses. Well... gues what? It doesn't... go figure!!!!!!. I've downloaded the latest RocRail freebie software, at least I think I have. The rocrail site has over 20 or 30 different downloads available, all very confusing to say the least. I have tried to sift through the agonizing translation (I'm not fluent in German)and find it very hard to make heads or tails of what I have to do to make this silly software work. I'm sorry, but I'm not a techno weenie when it comes to programming. At this time, all I want to do is find a system that will work (no matter the cost) If I thought Zimo would do the trick, I'd even change to that system. Please... would anybody be able to offer a step by step way of setting up RocRail, or at lkeast a proper english manual? Failing that, what is the next best thing (in english please)?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline nevw  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2010 00:54:24(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
To get talking first you have to set the CS2

In the Setup go to the Network Section and set the the CS to obtain the IP Address Automatically.

Then turn off, connect the cable to the Cs and the Switch.
Turn on the CS and it should obtain the IP Address.

CHeck what IP address it is showing.

Then using your Internet browser go to that address possibly
or
or 10.0.0.1
or

Or something similar.

Hope that is enough to get the machines talking.
I know nothing about rocorail. Sorry
NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline GSRR  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2010 02:46:42(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
James,

Have you visited the forum and posed your question there? It maybe an issue with Windows 7 not being supported yet?

http://forum.rocrail.net/portal.php

Regards,

Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Piper  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2010 02:49:59(UTC)
Piper

South Africa   
Hi James,

Nevw is right, setup by using the method as described and use your internet browser to make sure you can see the CS2 from your computer. This is even before you run Rocrail, to make 110% sure there is coms between CS2 & your computer.

Then you also need to put the gateway tick in on the setup screen on CS2, where you set the IP address and add your computer's IP address to enable Rocrail/CS2 to know where to get S88 feedbacks, if you use them.

In Rocrail just enter the IP address of your CS2. That's it, give it a try and let us know.ThumpUp ThumpUp

It works quite nicely and is apart from WinDigipet is the only software to works with the CS2.

Cursing Cursing When you get to MFX locos it becomes a bit fiddly, but once you set it up, it works just fine.

Pieter

Era I-V / HO / C-Track / MS2, CS2 & CS3 Z gauge. Insider
Member of Märklin Modellers Group
Offline James  
#5 Posted : 14 July 2010 20:51:54(UTC)
James

Canada   
Thanks Guys:

At this time, I'm trying out two systems, iTrain and Rocrail.
So far, this is what I've found:

iTrain

(1)claims that it will work with the CS2, although not as well as it will with the CS1 or the ESU controller, which would make sense since ESU built the CS1.
(2)iTrain's English instructions are clear although a bit technical for my level of computer savvy.
(3)The download contains everything in the package to get one up and running, once I figure the software out.
(4)Developing a track plan is possible although a bit like using a back door to build.

Rocrail

(1)claims that it will work with the CS 2 and after I was able to get the two device to talk to one another I think that it might work.
(2)RocRail's English instructions appear to have been run through an online translator. It is like trying to read a set of instructions written by a six year old. It is very poor and is full of German words that are untranslatable. This makes it unusable and therefore no help at all.
(3)The download of this program is a nightmare. Trying to figure out which download is what I need is impossible. After I downloaded the version I thought I needed, I was confronted with instructional prompts that claimed I needed to download other programs (Rocrail View, and RocRail Server). It took me awhile to figure out that RocRail server was the actual program...I think. I'm still not sure what RocRail View is.
(4)Certain pull down menus mentioned in the instructions do not actually appear in the software menus. All in all, this is a nightmare.
(5)So far I have not been able to create a track plan in this system, the instructions for such a thing are not present.

For my money, neither of these systems are very user friendly. If one is a computer programmer, then iTrain would be the one to go with. Rocrail is perhaps the one to go with if one is fluent in German.

All I want is a plug n play software system that will work for my system, one that has clear concise instructions in English and one that doesn`t require that I have a diploma in C++ programming. At this time, I don`t think that this is possible.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline Besra  
#6 Posted : 01 August 2010 12:48:00(UTC)
Besra

Hi James,

I agree Rocrail's instructions sometimes are not very straightforward. We are working on that!
Please give this Wiki-page a try: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=stepbystep-en. It is not yet translated completely but should guide you through the first steps. I will try to translate additional chapters the next days. To set-up the CS2 please follow the instructions here: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=cs2:cs2-en#setup

By the way: I am not a member of Rocrail's developer team but I'm trying to improve the wiki to the best of my ability and I'm not a native English speaker, so please excuse my wording.

Best regards
Besra
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Besra
Offline GSRR  
#7 Posted : 02 August 2010 02:42:05(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Besra wrote:
Hi James,

I agree Rocrail's instructions sometimes are not very straightforward. We are working on that!
Please give this Wiki-page a try: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=stepbystep-en. It is not yet translated completely but should guide you through the first steps. I will try to translate additional chapters the next days. To set-up the CS2 please follow the instructions here: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=cs2:cs2-en#setup

By the way: I am not a member of Rocrail's developer team but I'm trying to improve the wiki to the best of my ability and I'm not a native English speaker, so please excuse my wording.

Best regards
Besra

Besra,

Welcome to the forum. Appreciate the effort with Rocrail.

Regards,

Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 02 August 2010 03:03:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Piper wrote:
It works quite nicely and is apart from WinDigipet is the only software to works with the CS2.

iTrain also supports the CS2. http://berros.eu/itrain/
Offline steventrain  
#9 Posted : 02 August 2010 22:46:59(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Besra,

Welcome to the forum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Webmaster  
#10 Posted : 03 August 2010 00:20:22(UTC)
Webmaster

Besra, thanks for joining the forum since RocRail is unknown territory for most of us! ThumpUp
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Besra  
#11 Posted : 04 August 2010 17:53:22(UTC)
Besra

Hi!

Thank your for your welcome messages!
I will try to answer any questions concerning Rocrail you may have - prior to your subscription to Rocrail's own famous forum BigGrin.
I came across Rocrail about 18 months ago looking for some freeware layout control software or a demo - wasn't sure if I like computer control at that time. Well, I do. Meanwhile Rocrail controls my whole layout.

Best regards
Besra
Offline Piper  
#12 Posted : 04 August 2010 21:47:52(UTC)
Piper

South Africa   
Besra wrote:

Well, I do. Meanwhile Rocrail controls my whole layout.

Hi Besra

I agree with Juhan, most welcome and we need a expert of Rocrail. ThumpUp ThumpUp

Do you have some info about your layout?
How many blocks do you have and do you use S88's or what do you use for feedback.

Pieter
Era I-V / HO / C-Track / MS2, CS2 & CS3 Z gauge. Insider
Member of Märklin Modellers Group
Offline Besra  
#13 Posted : 05 August 2010 00:56:38(UTC)
Besra

Hi Pieter,

I'm probably not a Rocrail expert, let's say a somewhat experienced user...
I think I have to collect some data of my layout because I'm currently not aware of all details. At least, M-tracks, 19 or 20 blocks, about 50 locos, all Marklin except for two BRAWA and I'm using LocoNet feedbacks connected to Uhlenbrock's Intellibox. A Marklin Infra Control 80f is attached to the Intellibox. Blocks are equipped with at least one feedback (no current sensors, no occupation detectors, contacts only), most feature two feedback sensors, some have up to four. My layout is in my attic of about 30 square meters.

Best regards
Besra