Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mario54i  
#1 Posted : 27 April 2007 23:30:25(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Hi all
I was playing with my ESU Lokprogrammer, trying to change function mapping on the decoder. I wanted whistle sound on F1 instead of F3.
I don't know what happened, the programmer was reading CVs well but giving errors when writing, but eventually whistle moved to F1 but only forward. Trying again...I found the decoder set to address 3, F1 now activates another sound, never heard before, a voice announcing closing doors (I guess, it's in German)with some background noise. Pressing F1 activates this sound, but also starting the engine with F1 on starts the sound. Whistle was found on F2. Lights work regularly...and the engine doesn't move any longer. Any suggestion ? Finding a CS and reprogramming ?
Thanks
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2007 01:01:55(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
est just to reset the decoder and start again

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 28 April 2007 14:09:56(UTC)
Goofy

You are writing decoder setting to adress 3.

Then in case,reset decoder from after factory decides.

You can see that in the information that follows with the locomotiv...!

Goofy
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 28 April 2007 14:13:14(UTC)
Goofy

One more thing:

Yours locodecoder are an mfx,then in case dont use esu programming...!

Goofy
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline nevw  
#5 Posted : 28 April 2007 14:24:01(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Good Info Goofy.
N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline mario54i  
#6 Posted : 28 April 2007 22:01:47(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
ESU Lokprogrammer can program mfx decoders, it has all functions to do it, including reprogramming of sounds.
At the beginning I succeded in changing settings, loco name and address, but now this decoder is in such a mess and I don't find how to reset it.
Regards
Offline Hemmerich  
#7 Posted : 28 April 2007 22:41:33(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mario54i
<br />ESU Lokprogrammer can program mfx decoders, it has all functions to do it, including reprogramming of sounds.

Hi Mario,

almost correct. Unfortunately the LokProgrammer has limited current which may prevent it sometimes to properly/completely read or write data into a built-in decoder.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:At the beginning I succeded in changing settings, loco name and address, but now this decoder is in such a mess and I don't find how to reset it.

The Lokprogrammer is quite ok for most functions, but unfortunately it lacks some specific functionality like the decoder reset capability (which is even available on a MS).

The sound ("Geräusch") you found is a (hidden) station announcement and can be activated by AUX1, the loco horn is connected to AUX1 and factory configured to f1; they are both available in the E10 345 (#39120) since that loco contains the same pcb. I changed the settings of my Re 4/4-I such that f2 activates the station announcement and f3 activates the shunting gear. This gives the advantage that all necessary pictograms are available even when the MS is just used as remote controller connected to a CS.

My suggestion is that you try to get a MS and reset your loco there, unless you can get a CS which would even be better. If it helps, I can send you the ESU project file with the changed settings of my loco.
Offline Bart  
#8 Posted : 28 April 2007 23:17:40(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Hi Mario, Lutz,
Thanks for the helpful information.
How about the actual sounds in the 39420 and in the M* mfx full sound decoders?
Can they be changed using the Lokprogrammer, as with the original Esu decoders,
or have they been locked by M*?
*Bart
Offline mario54i  
#9 Posted : 28 April 2007 23:58:48(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Hi Lutz. Thanks for the advice. I'll look for a MS for reset.
Playing with Lokprogrammer I also found that Re460 of swiss start set has a limited set of sounds, but can be reprogrammed completely with a more complete set in the ESU file. There is long horn, short horn, a whistle and braking sound is better.
BTW, 39420 has not a sound decoder, it has a regular mfx decoder activating an external sound board with two sounds.
Regards
Offline Bart  
#10 Posted : 29 April 2007 01:38:29(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Mario, thanks.
Sorry, forgot about the 39420 having the limited external board for a moment.
But you did answer my question referring to Re460: so the start set decoders can be reprogrammed with other sound files using Lokprogrammer.
*Bart
Offline Hemmerich  
#11 Posted : 29 April 2007 15:17:49(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mario54i
<br />Hi Lutz. Thanks for the advice. I'll look for a MS for reset.
Playing with Lokprogrammer I also found that Re460 of swiss start set has a limited set of sounds, but can be reprogrammed completely with a more complete set in the ESU file. There is long horn, short horn, a whistle and braking sound is better.

Yes. I've activated those with my Re460's that are equipped with these sound decoders already long time ago.wink

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:BTW, 39420 has not a sound decoder, it has a regular mfx decoder activating an external sound board with two sounds.

Yes, too. That's why I wrote "can be activated by AUX1, AUX2")
Offline Hemmerich  
#12 Posted : 29 April 2007 15:26:25(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bart
<br />Mario, thanks.
Sorry, forgot about the 39420 having the limited external board for a moment.
But you did answer my question referring to Re460: so the start set decoders can be reprogrammed with other sound files using Lokprogrammer.

Yes, Bart. I've for example loaded my Ae 6/6 from that starter set with the original ESU Ae 6/6 sound file. But be aware that not all decoders can be reprogrammed; later delivered sound models by Märklin have write protected sound files. The reason is that apparently too many people "fiddled" around without really knowing what they're doing; as a result the sounds were gone. IMHO we had discussed this here already some time ago.
Offline Bart  
#13 Posted : 29 April 2007 22:57:54(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
... IMHO we had discussed this here already some time ago.
Lutz,
That's why I was surprised to see that Mario was able to change te starter set sound files.
From the previous discussion I assumed that all were protected.
Thanks for the clarification.
Is there any way to check whether a specific decoder is write-protected, or should one just try?
*Bart
Offline Hemmerich  
#14 Posted : 30 April 2007 19:44:59(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bart
Is there any way to check whether a specific decoder is write-protected, or should one just try?

Hi Bart,

at the best of my knowledge, (Märklin-)decoders with a type-ID "mfx Sound-Decoder" are write protected, whereas decoders with a type-ID "LokSound mfx" can be overwritten. That's at least how it worked with my decoders.