Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

24 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ulf999  
#51 Posted : 24 July 2006 12:07:24(UTC)
ulf999

I agree with you John, also the tin plate has better color than the plastic version (which is more orange than yellow...)
Ulf, American HO. www.goldenvalleyroute.com/
Offline john black  
#52 Posted : 24 July 2006 12:24:57(UTC)
john black

United States   
Yep, Ulf - this yellow is the color to go. My D&RGW E.. got her basics this weekend, already Smile
Now for the details, and that's the hard part ... [xx(]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline martinfung  
#53 Posted : 24 July 2006 13:46:39(UTC)
martinfung

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by martinfung
<br />2) Actually D&RG did purchase a GG-1 [:o)]. Unfortunately all the purchase records, photos
and the actual locomotive were destroyed in a big fire, a very big one. [}:)][}:)]

ad 2) I never knew ... this is most interesting information - thanks, Martin Smile
John, you do know I was joking, right? And hence the devil heads.
Still beginner, no layout, random buying
O-gauge, 3R Scale US Steamers (avatar is not of my collection, but the models are nice)
Märklin HO anything :-)
Offline martinfung  
#54 Posted : 24 July 2006 13:48:53(UTC)
martinfung

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by ulf999
<br />I agree with you John, also the tin plate has better color than the plastic version (which is more orange than yellow...)
Yes, Ulf, that yellow on your tinplate car is a very nice color. Thanks for the picture and the info.
O-gauge, 3R Scale US Steamers (avatar is not of my collection, but the models are nice)
Offline martinfung  
#55 Posted : 24 July 2006 14:13:36(UTC)
martinfung

UserPostedImage

California Zephyr with D&RGW PA-1 engines pulling the consist. It's hard to see whether it is an A-B-A or A-B-B setup, but looking at the roof and the big gap between the last engine and the baggage car, I think it's an A-B-A.
Offline Davy  
#56 Posted : 24 July 2006 17:51:22(UTC)
Davy

John Black have fun with your double header.
biggrin

I only have a very old analog santa fe train.
M-track with a CS2.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#57 Posted : 24 July 2006 22:33:11(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Wow I missed a lot over the weekend! I agree these guys are pretty nice- and an appropriate second locomotive for my California Zephyr set!

Martin- Good move on the 39223- I can't praise it enough

Racing Fans (I know we have many): I was away at working for Red Bull at the Moto GP US Grand Prix this weekend and got some killer pictures- many of the riders off track!! I'll get them up soon Cool
SBB Era 2-5
Offline john black  
#58 Posted : 25 July 2006 00:03:56(UTC)
john black

United States   
Martin: Had related your devil heads to the "loco fire". However, that was a good one biggrin

Thanks for the picture. And yes, it is an A-B-A triple header - ya can clearly see the cockpit's
rounded side window on the loco in the back.
Given the presence of that Steamer, the Cadillac Coupe deVille (mid 1950s), the Mercury Grand Marquis
(early 1950s) and the fact that whether railroad- nor construction men ever been rich people (the cars here
are old) - I'd say this picture dates back from the late 1950s to the early 1960s ... Cool

Davy: Thanks ... and BTW, I do love old F7s even more [:p]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline martinfung  
#59 Posted : 25 July 2006 01:48:33(UTC)
martinfung

John, I know this is off topic as it's not a PA-1, but since you've mentioned old F7s, I wonder have you seen this one yet?

UserPostedImage

D&RGW F7s California Zephyr. I think it's a F7, right?
Offline john black  
#60 Posted : 25 July 2006 02:15:31(UTC)
john black

United States   
Right, Martin - D&RGW #5764 was an F7 A-unit (AFAIK only #s402, 403 and 5771 are with us, still)
BTW, their number of GM EMD F-series Diesels was impressive (though not overwhelming):

F3A - 6 units
F3B - 6
F5A - 6 (later upgraded to F7A)
F5B - 6 (later upgraded to F7B)
F7A - 38
F7B - 36
F9A - 2
F9B - 4

John

Offline PierreGILLARD  
#61 Posted : 25 July 2006 03:26:51(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Quote:
(...) Given the presence of that Steamer, the Cadillac Coupe deVille (mid 1950s), the Mercury Grand Marquis (...)

And what about the concrete mixers, John ? biggrin

Pierre.
Offline Webmaster  
#62 Posted : 25 July 2006 03:39:29(UTC)
Webmaster

What's that middle unit in the last pic? Not may roof fans so it cannot be a diesel unit...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#63 Posted : 25 July 2006 03:49:47(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Webmaster
<br />What's that middle unit in the last pic? Not may roof fans so it cannot be a diesel unit...

Yes, it is. It seems to be a FB-1 or equivalent.

Pierre.
Offline Webmaster  
#64 Posted : 25 July 2006 05:15:25(UTC)
Webmaster

Ach so... Not really a diesel powered unit but maybe a car to coordinate the diesel units for a single point of control???
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline john black  
#65 Posted : 25 July 2006 07:59:19(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by PierreGILLARD
<br />And what about the concrete mixers, John ? biggrin

Now you got me, Pierre ...
Well, since trucks do last much longer than tiny cars the mixers will broaden the time frame
by decades. But I'll give it a try. Judging by their noses alone the one on the left could be anywhere
between say 1948 and the 1970s (too much distance for my old eyes), but the other ones' horizontal
grille is crying 1959 Ford, definately.
Should I have to make my living by analysing pictures I'd starve to death, already [xx(]

Didn't know this is a quiz ... biggrin
John

post scriptum: Nice cat, Juhan. Gotta new car ?

Offline john black  
#66 Posted : 25 July 2006 10:01:29(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />but maybe a car to coordinate the diesel units for a single point of control???

May be. But since this is a passenger train my best guess is a steam generator for heating the cars ...

Offline ulf999  
#67 Posted : 25 July 2006 10:24:19(UTC)
ulf999

What strikes me here is that it seems to take 5 loco units to pull 11 passenger cars! Are they equipped with lawn mower engines?
Ulf, American HO. www.goldenvalleyroute.com/
Offline viragoLDR  
#68 Posted : 25 July 2006 12:22:59(UTC)
viragoLDR

nah, it's just the American way ;)
- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline martinfung  
#69 Posted : 25 July 2006 13:23:44(UTC)
martinfung

Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by PierreGILLARD
<br />And what about the concrete mixers, John ? biggrin

Now you got me, Pierre ...
Well, since trucks do last much longer than tiny cars the mixers will broaden the time frame
by decades. But I'll give it a try. Judging by their noses alone the one on the left could be anywhere
between say 1948 and the 1970s (too much distance for my old eyes), but the other ones' horizontal
grille is crying 1959 Ford, definately.
So my conclusion is John's day job is at the CIA Smile
Offline martinfung  
#70 Posted : 25 July 2006 13:45:44(UTC)
martinfung

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by ulf999
<br />What strikes me here is that it seems to take 5 loco units to pull 11 passenger cars! Are they equipped with lawn mower engines?
CA Zephyr line runs from the West Coast (northern California, SF Bay Area) to the midwest (Chicago), and so the train needs to climb over the Rocky Mountain range. I am guessing (correct me if I am wrong) this picture is for the westbound route, and was about to go up the Rockies. The other picture with the PA-1s, I will guess that consist was eastbound and had passed the Rockies, and so they changed the engines to PA-1 instead of the more powerful one (say the F7s).
Offline martinfung  
#71 Posted : 25 July 2006 14:41:34(UTC)
martinfung

I have located where I "stole" the two CA Zephyr pictures. They are from http://calzephyr.railfan.net/gallery/gallery.html

The legend for the PA-1 A-B-A is "an A-B-A set of Alco PAs lead the CZ past a steam-powered local in Denver, Colorado. The train is the westbound #17, is entering the North Yard after having crossed the South Platte River. (Location info thanks to Dr. Stephen J. Levine. Photographer unknown, collection of Gary Morris.)" Sorry John, no date was given, but I will trust your detective work. Smile

The second picture, "Four EMDs and an ALCO on a cold day. John Grosvenor has written saying, "the picture is taken about 1/4 of a mile west of Highway 119. If you look carefully you can see there is a slope going down from the extreme right side of the picture to the left, just behind the lead engine. That slope is about 1/4 mile from the start of the dirt road to leads to the famous Moffat Tunnel. Or, if you are an OLD railroad buff, it is the start of the dirt road that takes you to David Moffat's "The Moffat Road" also known as The Denver and Salt Lake Railroad. I think this picture is taken just west of the tiny town of Rollinsville, Colorado. The train would be headed east into Rollinsville on it's way into Denver." However, Jim Griffin has written to say that "the location is at the south (east) end of Plainview siding. I've taken photos from nearly the same spot; the mountains in the background give it away. It's looking almost dead south." (Photographer unknown, collection of Gary Morris)".

Offline PierreGILLARD  
#72 Posted : 25 July 2006 17:25:30(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Quote:
<br />Ach so... Not really a diesel powered unit but maybe a car to coordinate the diesel units for a single point of control???

No, it is a true diesel engine ... The picture that I linked to was just to show you the shape of the loco. This is now confirmed by the legend described above.

Now I can't tell you if it is a FB-1, a FB-2 or ... confused I am definitively better to recognize helicopters !

Pierre.
Offline Brakeman  
#73 Posted : 26 July 2006 18:42:03(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:What's that middle unit in the last pic? Not may roof fans so it cannot be a diesel unit...

Hi,
My best bet is, that the Alco unit sandwiched in between EMD's in is either 6002 or 6012 PB-1. These are the only Alco B-units DRGW had. It may have already been converted to a steam generator (Oct 1953).
DRGW retired the Alco PA's in July 1967 and the EMD F7A #5764 served from June 1952 to March 1972.
Originally Rio Grande ordered only two Alco ABA-sets. The class was named 6000, according to the HP rating.
The photographer of this picture was unknown.

BR,
Juha
Offline john black  
#74 Posted : 27 July 2006 01:20:32(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />What's that middle unit in the last pic? Not many roof fans so it cannot be a diesel unit ...

Re my first guess (steam generator car) I have to correct myself. Since there are also no vent grills
- Pierre Cool was right: the unit in the middle <u>is</u> a RCC (remote control car)

UserPostedImage

BTW, with her elegant grey hue this BCR unit would nicely match NYC or ADIRONDACK SCENIC ... Smile

John

Offline jselter  
#75 Posted : 27 July 2006 17:31:05(UTC)
jselter

John, Pierre, I believe "Brakeman" was correct. It's looks more like an Alco PB unit to me. The "RC" car is very interesting though. It would look outstanding with the NYC Alco.

Joe
Offline steventrain  
#76 Posted : 27 July 2006 20:05:16(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent picturesSmile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline john black  
#77 Posted : 29 July 2006 08:12:53(UTC)
john black

United States   
Joe: Maybe Pierre is right, maybe Juha - some day we will know ...
But one thing is for sure, right now: It's a cool unit [:p]

Well, little Enzo's RIO GRANDE E44 is finished, now (UB#76200 included).
He, too, wanted to have "such yellow loco" biggrin

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Guess I'll have to add a "Grandkids' Carpet Topic" to my layout section, soon ...

John

Offline hmsfix  
#78 Posted : 30 July 2006 18:07:21(UTC)
hmsfix

Congratulations, John, to your new DRGW PA-1 set, looks great, indeed.

I hope they will also bring out an adequate PB-units, like this one:
UserPostedImage

(for the UP PA-1, too, please) And, of course, some nice coaches.

One point concerning the transport problem of the 37610/49610 units. I also avoid to connect and disconnect the two units, as it might cause wear to the casings, the tiny plugs and the decoder boards.
So I got an old wooden gun box from a flea market dealer (without gun, of course biggrin). After some amendments it is now perfect for transporting the PA-1 double unit, and no need to open the casings any more. Also a complete F7-ABA consist fits well.

And, when you cross the street with that wooden box under your arm, it will catch all the views, and the cars stop to let you pass!Cool

Hans Martin
Offline steventrain  
#79 Posted : 30 July 2006 19:47:52(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very cool E44,thanks for sharing the picture,john.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#80 Posted : 31 July 2006 00:45:48(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
only an italian word: incredibile! biggrin
John, you are our "colour's pioneer" [^]
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline john black  
#81 Posted : 31 July 2006 17:05:28(UTC)
john black

United States   
Thanks, friends - there's also my blue-metallic "Lightning Edition" I do love so much Smile
Now I've to ask for your apologies [:I] - this one definitely isn't D&RGW. But since Al had mentioned colors ...

UserPostedImage

Offline john black  
#82 Posted : 31 July 2006 17:14:30(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hmsfix
<br />And, when you cross the street with that wooden box under your arm,
it will catch all the views, and the cars stop to let you pass! Cool

Well, Hans Martin - your poor motorists can take their pick. Blues Brothers [:p] or Capone Gang [:0]

Offline pserup  
#83 Posted : 03 August 2006 21:43:09(UTC)
pserup

Denmark   
quote: ...and so they changed the engines to PA-1 instead of the more powerful one (say the F7s).

Note that each PA-1 unit had 2000 hp and each F7 unit only 1500 hp!
CS, Denmark/Germany Ep. I - V, Switzerland Ep. II - V, USA Ep. III/IV
Offline martinfung  
#84 Posted : 03 August 2006 23:02:24(UTC)
martinfung

Palle, I made that statement because I've read PA-1 was probably the most beautiful locomotive, but commercially, it's not quite successful as F7. Many more F7 units were built (almost 10 folds). F7 was more versatile. IIRC, F7 was also more powerful. May be in that context it was talking about pulling (traction) power? Or some weight to power ratio. I don't know. But if F7 was not better than PA-1, there surely would had been a lot more PA-1 built. [xx(]
Offline steventrain  
#85 Posted : 03 August 2006 23:22:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
<br />

UserPostedImage

Now you got blue gators.Smile
Offline john black  
#86 Posted : 08 August 2006 01:02:06(UTC)
john black

United States   
Steven: Well, she isn't a Gator but she matches her big sisters nicely. Same boxy look ... [^]

Offline john black  
#87 Posted : 22 August 2006 19:51:25(UTC)
john black

United States   
UserPostedImage

Did some further field testing with her. Factory setting of speaker volume was too low (58% only),
acceleration way too slow (7 sec [|)]) - but now she's set nicely for my personal taste Smile

BTW, should you ever want to make two single locos out of this great doubleheader be warned:
Unplugging is easy task, adding another decoder, speaker and pickup shoe on loco #2, too.
But now comes the iffy part - that special decoder in loco #1 requires the 2nd loco, inevitably !!!
If you rob that one from her your decoder wants to go back to mommy, and you end up with a
stuttering #1 (at full throttle) ...
[}:)]
Possible solutions: Buy two decoders (way too expensive), or give the original decoder some extra load
(additional lights or similar should do) Smile

However, I'll preserve mine in her original state ...
John

Offline David Dewar  
#88 Posted : 22 August 2006 23:24:14(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Looks great John. Makes me think of adding some USA locos to my layout.
Enjoy

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline john black  
#89 Posted : 22 August 2006 23:33:52(UTC)
john black

United States   
You'll never regret, David. Most M locos are pieces of excellence, but their new U.S. models
are truly state of the art (got them all) [:p]
And their brand new MFX Mikado #37973 comes with a myriad of functions plus great sound ... Cool

Now that we've bought the $$$ loco I wonder when will we get those D&RGW box cars, at last confusedconfusedconfused
In production since year 2002 ... [xx(]
UserPostedImage

Offline steventrain  
#90 Posted : 09 September 2006 18:19:58(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
There is unboxed eight freight cars split from 29848 big boy set on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ma...WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Offline john black  
#91 Posted : 09 September 2006 19:13:27(UTC)
john black

United States   
Thanks for your kind help, Steven Smile. But I need six box cars plus caboose - all in RIO GRANDE livery ...

Offline plutoodie  
#92 Posted : 14 September 2006 23:45:48(UTC)
plutoodie

Finally got my Rio Grande - great loc! One question though: What is the "mars" light used for on the prototype?
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline john black  
#93 Posted : 15 September 2006 00:07:49(UTC)
john black

United States   
Bo: "ON" when approaching crossings or stations (together with horn)
And congratulations - have fun [:p]!!!

Offline plutoodie  
#94 Posted : 19 September 2006 21:15:04(UTC)
plutoodie

Quote:
<br />Bo: "ON" when approaching crossings or stations (together with horn)
And congratulations - have fun [:p]!!!

Thanks John! Maybe you can enlighten me with respect to the Bell - when is the Bell used?
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline john black  
#95 Posted : 20 September 2006 13:31:29(UTC)
john black

United States   
You're welcome, Bo. Another warning signal - for shunting or when loco is running backwards Smile

Offline alonso231gery  
#96 Posted : 25 September 2006 23:07:26(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
John have you noticed the disappointing pulling power of the PA-1(the fx version of the american starter set)?I just got the 43600 set and i have tried them with that loco and she seemed to be suffering when she was ascenting?
Have you noticed that too,with that loco or with the mfx one?
The Rio Grande one i guess will have no problem to pull them easily.
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline john black  
#97 Posted : 25 September 2006 23:50:40(UTC)
john black

United States   
Nikos, no such problem with any of my four PA-1s. Perhaps correcting the acceleration delay value will help ...

Offline alonso231gery  
#98 Posted : 26 September 2006 00:27:56(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
The Rio Grande locos are more powerful than the others?
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline john black  
#99 Posted : 26 September 2006 00:45:15(UTC)
john black

United States   
Of course. But also the solo PA-1s are nice pullers (though not as strong as the old F7s) Cool

Offline alonso231gery  
#100 Posted : 26 September 2006 01:37:07(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
The solo Rio Grande PA-1 is as good(pulling power) as the fx PA-1 of the set?
The mfx PA-1 from the set is as good as the fx one?
An outsider.