Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 19 August 2016 11:18:55(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I pulled out a 37210 V140 to pull the new Economic Miracle wagons and noticed that there was a problem with current draw. At rest it was drawing 210mA, but moving it was drawing between 600 and 800mA.. I then placed it onto the WinDigiPet calibration routine and notice this as a speed curve..

UserPostedImage

Of note, is that the minimum speed was 11km/hr instead of the normal 1-3km/Hr for Marklin digital locos.

I stripped down the loco and noticed that the rotor windings were very blue..

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

While the rotor was out I checked to ensure that the wheels moved freely and that the rods were not binding.

After replacing the rotor with a new 5 pole green unit, I re-did the WinDigiPet calibration.

UserPostedImage

The first thing that I noticed was that the minimum speed was back to 3 km/hr and the current draw was stable around 250-300mA. However, when the loco reached speed step 11 it started to run jerkily and the speed difference between forward and reverse was high..

Any thoughts as to where I might look next? Confused

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 20 August 2016 06:46:24(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I removed the rotor again and tried the running gear again - this time there was binding.. I removed one screw from one wheel and the binding stopped.. So I twisted the wheel on the axle so it fitted better with the others..

The new speed curve results show improvement and a further reduction in current consumption now 100mA to 200mA

UserPostedImage

I am still not happy with the difference from speed step 12 and on.. On the other hand, I don't run the loco about 70km/hr on the layout anyway..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup