Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AJH4  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2016 13:59:48(UTC)
AJH4

United States   
I have slowly been buying my first passenger car sets, Era IV, and I want to add lights, particularly since the newer BR 103 that will be pulling them has lights for everything.

What is the best option for a novice? Install the factory Marklin warm led lighting sets or go with the ESU yellow or white?

And when installing the current couplers, can you install on both ends of all cars even if not connecting to another conducting car or the engine or do you have to pick the order of coupling then pick which ones get which couplers and the pickup shoe?
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2016 16:15:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Have you considered battery powered LED strips?

I use the units made by Train-tech. They light up automatically when the train starts to move and switch off after the train has been motionless for 5 minutes. Installation is dead easy and if the coach is easy to open up will take less than 10 seconds. There is no need to mess about with pickups, current conducting couplers, wiring, or anything else. The strips just drop into the coach and can be attached inside the roof with sticky pads.

www.train-tech.com/

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2016 16:20:17(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Very cool! My god are they expensive though...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline GlennM  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2016 16:48:06(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post

I thought that at first, but if you take the standard 24cm coach you need one of these units and little work is required to the coach itself so cost is £20. (IIRC there are some bulk buy offers usually available)

To fit the modern standard Marklin lights you need two Marklin 73400 light units (around £10 each) plus some form of power feed such as Marklin 73404 (slider and earth clip) for £7 (there are bulk offers) or you need the earth clip plus conductor couplings which are more expensive, and sometimes need small modifications to the coach. The cost is therefore between £25-27 per coach.

Furthermore if you have added a none Marklin coach to your consist for variety the Marklin units may not fit and as these units can be cut to length (within certain parameters) they may offer am easy solution.

Plus there is no power drawn from the layout and no friction from the slider. The downside is the units need batteries to be replaced approx yearly.

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline GlennM  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2016 17:06:39(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: AJH4 Go to Quoted Post
I have slowly been buying my first passenger car sets, Era IV, and I want to add lights, particularly since the newer BR 103 that will be pulling them has lights for everything.

What is the best option for a novice? Install the factory Marklin warm led lighting sets or go with the ESU yellow or white?

And when installing the current couplers, can you install on both ends of all cars even if not connecting to another conducting car or the engine or do you have to pick the order of coupling then pick which ones get which couplers and the pickup shoe?

IIRC Marklin do a warm yellow and a modern white interior light kits.

I would say depends on the Era you are aiming for, IIRC one of the 103's came with warm yellow lights fitted in the engineers room and so maybe warm yellow interior would go nicely?

I think the more modern coaches, in particular the bi-levels need white interior lighting.

My understanding (and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong) of conductor couplings is that you can fit them at either end, but you should not connect them to a loco (or any item of rolling stock) with an old style metal coupling or telex coupling. There are at least two new models of Marklin loco were the loco has a power conducting coupling and can supply power to the coaches provided that none of them are equipped with a slider delivering power. If you have a consist that will remain a consist and to which you do not intend to add any further coaches, it is safe practice that the end coupling at each end of the consist be a regular coupling to prevent such accidents from occurring. Likewise, subject to correct wiring the slider can go anywhere in the consist provided the wiring allows the live to be carried through the conductor coupling and onto the next coach, and that each coach with lighting has an earthing clip fitted beneath. If using conductor couplings there can be only one slider, care should be taken that two separate consists each with sliders are not attached together via conductor couplings. In a lot of instances the last/first car has the slider and the power is fed down/up the consist, simplifies the wiring and makes it easy to keep track of which coaches are live and which are not, particularly if the end couplings at either end are regular non conductor couplings.

BR
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 11 August 2016 17:20:27(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

I thought that at first, but if you take the standard 24cm coach you need one of these units and little work is required to the coach itself so cost is £20.

To fit the modern standard Marklin lights you need two Marklin 73400 light units (around £10 each) plus some form of power feed such as Marklin 73404 (slider and earth clip) for £7 (there are bulk offers) or you need the earth clip plus conductor couplings which are more expensive, and sometimes need small modifications to the coach. The cost is therefore between £25-27 per coach.

Furthermore if you have added a none Marklin coach to your consist for variety the Marklin units may not fit and as these units can be cut to length (within certain parameters) they may offer am easy solution.

Plus there is no power drawn from the layout and no friction from the slider. The downside is the units need batteries to be replaced approx yearly.

BR

Very true, I just feel one might be able to divise an LED solution for ~$10 per car, whether ulitizing a pickup shoe or battery. Its on my project list to fool around with using electronic supply distributer components, but there is much more ahead of it. (2 layouts to finish, a ton of digital conversions, expertimenting with chemical blackening the old Marklin catenary etc!)
SBB Era 2-5
Offline GlennM  
#7 Posted : 11 August 2016 17:26:54(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   

I thought that at first, but if you take the standard 24cm coach you need one of these units and little work is required to the coach itself so cost is £20.

BR

Very true, I just feel one might be able to divise an LED solution for ~$10 per car, whether ulitizing a pickup shoe or battery. Its on my project list to fool around with using electronic supply distributer components, but there is much more ahead of it. (2 layouts to finish, a ton of digital conversions, expertimenting with chemical blackening the old Marklin catenary etc!)

I am sure I have seen an article somewhere on this where someone used a bulk roll of led lights on a strip and cut then to length and wired them himself. I am not sure if it was this Forum, but I did a search on the Forum but got a large number of results.Crying Crying

I think the major problem with devising a cheap solution is transferring the power from coach to coach without having an ugly cable between the two, and if you do use a cable then seperating the consist for transportation or to change around items on your layout presents another problem. The earthing clip for underneath can be fashioned from copper in much the same way as the Marklin item.

Always welcome good solutions ThumpUp ThumpUp
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 11 August 2016 17:30:54(UTC)
Goofy

I have ESU warm light LED both 50700 (analog) and 50708 (digital).
They have same LED´s.
It works nice!
If you want more romantic lighting effect,i suggest digital lighting bulbs and if you like digital function decoder to connect the lighting bulbs.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline rbw993  
#9 Posted : 11 August 2016 18:07:26(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
This is the link. I have added lighting to over 30 cars using this method.

Regards,
Roger

https://www.marklin-user...n-Marklin-passenger-Cars
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline Minok  
#10 Posted : 11 August 2016 23:21:02(UTC)
Minok

United States   

My understanding (and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong) of conductor couplings is that you can fit them at either end, but you should not connect them to a loco (or any item of rolling stock) with an old style metal coupling or telex coupling.

BR

This is because the old style locos w/o power at the coupling have metal couplings that are tied to the chassis and thus ground, and touching a current conducting coupling to such a loco coupling will cause a short.

I assume that putting a current conducting coupling on the old locos that is fed from a decoder controlled small relay to feed power from the LOC's slider out via the coupling (effectively retrofitting what some new locos have) is still a viable solution?

That is my preferred method I plan to try in the future as it adds no new sliders beyond the one in the loco already. Using capacitors in the cars would then fix flickering, if its still a problem with Märklin lighting kits.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline dominator  
#11 Posted : 12 August 2016 01:27:17(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I visited Lasse's layout last Saturday and he has the battery operated LED's in some of his coaches. He said the only hassle is changing the battery as you have to remove the roof and in some cases this is not easy or very delicate. I suggested running feed wires under the coach and fitting a battery mount down there.
He has a great layout.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 12 August 2016 12:28:37(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Quote:
The LEDs are also placed quite far apart. I used the high density LED strips and get much more even lighting.

The strips as they come are OK for open coaches. Compartment coaches do need closer spaced LEDs

This dining car looks fine:
UserPostedImage

but these cars look like some of the compartments are unlit"
UserPostedImage
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline biedmatt  
#13 Posted : 12 August 2016 13:11:27(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

but these cars look like some of the compartments are unlit"

A desirable situation with sleeper cars. I even went so far as to extend the dividers to the roof in my sleepers to get this effect. Not so good in day coaches. Perhaps tolerable if it was random as to which compartments were lit and which were not, but since all wagens present the same lighting, it looks a bit odd. Blink
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline AJH4  
#14 Posted : 13 August 2016 23:02:44(UTC)
AJH4

United States   
No love for the Marklin upgrade lighting kits?
Online dickinsonj  
#15 Posted : 14 August 2016 01:22:26(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I often use the Mäklín lighting kits and generally I have been very happy. If you do them yourself you can save some money and sometimes get a nicer result, but I have other priorities myself right now.

The Mäklín kits get the job done quickly and easily and IMO they look very nice.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Ross  
#16 Posted : 14 August 2016 01:38:51(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Ray/All,

I have improved the lighting in these type of coaches by installing LED's for more even lighting levels.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~...61_with_LED_lighting.pdf

Hope it helps.

Ross
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline AJH4  
#17 Posted : 16 August 2016 01:47:20(UTC)
AJH4

United States   
The ESU sets look like you can get them with digital control for DCC and provides some codes on the ESU website. Do those translate over to using an MS2? It would be nice to turn them on and off and that is enough as long as I can set the dimming once. I am not even sure if the Marlin stock lighting will do that once installed.
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 16 August 2016 12:47:34(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

I've used the Marklin lighting kits in the past for the classic 24cm tinplate coaches. My main concern is that they have to be powered individually with each coach having its own slider, which makes it hard work for the loco to pull.

The only alternative is to have fixed wiring between coaches which is not very convenient for taking trains off the layout.

More modern coaches have the option of current conducting couplers.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Minok  
#19 Posted : 18 August 2016 21:11:52(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Quote:
The LEDs are also placed quite far apart. I used the high density LED strips and get much more even lighting.

The strips as they come are OK for open coaches. Compartment coaches do need closer spaced LEDs

... these cars look like some of the compartments are unlit"
UserPostedImage

I agree with what others have said. For compartment coaches, it isn't unusual to have some coaches unoccupied or dark... seems a bit more organic/realistic.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline biedmatt  
#20 Posted : 18 August 2016 21:36:41(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
It appears my post has been deleted when my double posting was cleaned up by a moderator.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Online dickinsonj  
#21 Posted : 19 August 2016 01:49:44(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
It appears my post has been deleted when my double posting was cleaned up by a moderator.

And it was an excellent post. I'm glad that I bookmarked that link.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline sjlauritsen  
#22 Posted : 19 August 2016 10:26:48(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
I too use the Märklin kits - or in my case - the Trix kits which are exactly the same. The only difference is that the Trix kit comes with two lighting sticks per package and two power pickups.

I think they work great and it are easy to install. It's basically plug and play. Same goes for the marker lighting kits.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen