Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 10 August 2016 09:37:04(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hey guys,

I am curious if anyone else has experienced this behaviour with a digital/DCM model before. I am experiencing it with a BR01.10, marklin 37104 which I recently purchased.

My current test setup is just a MS2 on less than a metre of straight track, so I just drive it back and forth.

- The first time I tried to test it would not move at all but all sound/lights etc worked fine and it made chuffs with throttle changes, just the model itself made no attempt at moving.

- The next day I test it drove fine back and forth about 4-5 times, then after a reverse it would not move at all again

The behaviour seems to be related to the decoder more than anything, since if it were the engine it would be trying to move or making a sound, instead the motor is dead silent and does nothing.

I am thinking about setting up my old 6021 or testing it using DCC or MM rather than MFX to see if it does the same thing.

In the mean time, anyone else seen this before?
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2016 09:40:11(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys,

I am curious if anyone else has experienced this behaviour with a digital/DCM model before. I am experiencing it with a BR01.10, marklin 37104 which I recently purchased.

My current test setup is just a MS2 on less than a metre of straight track, so I just drive it back and forth.

- The first time I tried to test it would not move at all but all sound/lights etc worked fine and it made chuffs with throttle changes, just the model itself made no attempt at moving.

- The next day I test it drove fine back and forth about 4-5 times, then after a reverse it would not move at all again

The behaviour seems to be related to the decoder more than anything, since if it were the engine it would be trying to move or making a sound, instead the motor is dead silent and does nothing.

I am thinking about setting up my old 6021 or testing it using DCC or MM rather than MFX to see if it does the same thing.

Have you checked the motor brushes? This is classic behaviour when the brushes are worn down.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 10 August 2016 09:46:46(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Have you checked the motor brushes? This is classic behaviour when the brushes are worn down.

I have not taken the model apart yet. Thanks for the tip - it will be the next thing I check. Not that I have any spare brushes mind you...
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2016 11:11:48(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I've seen this with a BR 03 and a BR 212.
The brushes were new, the locos were new, but the springs didn't put enough pressure on the brushes.
Check for cables squeezed in near the brush springs.

Maybe you don't need new brushes. I didn't with my problem locos.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2016 22:04:13(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Hey guys,

From the description you give the decoder seems to get data from the MS just fine, and the issue is in the mechanical/electrical systems in the locomotive that apply the correct voltage and direction to the motor system.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134