Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 08 August 2016 06:35:47(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Could someone please explain to this Drongo what exactly comes out of a CS2 or EcoS controller - electrically that is. Is it 16v AC or DC? Confused Confused

Also, the Marklin transformer 66470 - does 16v AC or DC come out? Confused Confused

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 08 August 2016 06:47:22(UTC)
H0

Hi!

You always get AC out of a transformer. It's not a transformer when you get DC. You get AC out of the 66470.

The CS2 should always provide the full voltage, but the polarity changes. Some call this "bipolar pulsed DC". Polarity changes, so it behaves like AC to some extent.

The ECoS with RailCom or SX enabled will sometimes turn the track voltage off. Otherwise it is "bipolar pulsed DC" like the CS2.

The polarity changes convey the instructions, therefore the polarity changes have a complicated pattern, no fixed intervals.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Drongo  
#3 Posted : 08 August 2016 09:10:41(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks Tom for the detailed explanation. Even a "Drongo" can understand your explanation (you can google what a drongo is in Australia).

You're a genius Laugh Laugh Laugh

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline dominator  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2016 01:50:52(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I did a Drongo thing last night. While double heading a pair on analog class 23 steamers, I stupidly changes some switches that sent that analogue consist right through a digitally controlled section of track and back onto its own analogue control. I didn't notice what had happened untill it was too late, and the amazing thing was , there didn't appear to be any change in the locos behavior. The original big blue 280 transformer was set at half throttle.
It gave the MS2 a fright though because I then could not get the digital loco going. Its lights were on but no response. I noticed the MS2 had reverted to the points controlling display, so I unplugged it thinking I had stuffed it. Plugged it back in and all went back to normal.
Was I lucky????

Not an answer to your question but it suggested the voltage had not been much different. We should put volt meters on to see. Too much panic last night to think about that.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2016 07:40:46(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Not an answer to your question but it suggested the voltage had not been much different.
Wrong conclusion.
Old analogue Märklin locos with AC/DC motor will run slower on 20 V digital voltage than they do with 16 V AC. The frequency is much higher and the AC/DC is less efficient with the higher voltage.
In the motor there are two electric magnets in series. With pure AC, the magnets have to build a new reversed field 100 or 120 times a second.
With digital voltage, the polarity changes 5000 or 10000 times per second. When the polarity changes the existing magnetic field fights against the reversed field that is building up and a large part of the current does not add to the speed.

We should put volt meters on to see.
When using cheap volt meters this will increase the confusion.
With AC mode, measure with red and with black at the centre rail. Also measure in DC mode.
Cheap volt meters will give you three completely different reading.

Solution: use a bridge rectifier and measure the output voltage of the rectifier in DC mode.

Was I lucky????
Maybe. There should be centre rail rockers in place when trains transition between analogue and digital parts of the layout. Otherwise this can be fatal to digital components.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 10 August 2016 22:13:57(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Just to confuse the issue some .....

DC is direct current - a DC signal has a fixed voltage relative to a reference (ground) - that fixed voltage could be positive or negative, but is fixed.
DC driven motors use the voltage to affect power/speed - so moving the voltage to reference(ground) would slow down the motor.

AC is alternating current - and thats a very broad term electrically speaking (I don't know what assumptions hold in the Märklin world when using the term AC).
For AC, the voltage changes over time. There is no polarity, there is only the phase shift, and that would only be meaningful in relation to a reference AC signal or some other signal. We traditionally think of AC as sinusoidal - such as what comes out of the power mains on the wall, or the 3 phase stuff from the power poles.. .its 50hz or 60hz depending on where you live in the world.

But something like a square wave... thats AC, and depending on how you look at it (the duty cycle of the square) you could call it DC for very short time intervals.

Then take a sinusoidal AC signal, and modulate digital data on top of that sinusoidal signal (or modulate digital data on any AC signal) .. and its a mixed bag that is still AC at its core with some DC components in it as well.

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 10 August 2016 22:24:47(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Then take a sinusoidal AC signal, and modulate digital data on top of that sinusoidal signal [...]
Digital track voltage is a square wave - nothing sinusoidal with it.

With digital track voltage there is just full voltage (with plus on red or with plus on brown) or no voltage.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline dominator  
#8 Posted : 10 August 2016 22:45:46(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Was I lucky????
Maybe. There should be centre rail rockers in place when trains transition between analogue and digital parts of the layout. Otherwise this can be fatal to digital components.

Hi Tom. Could you please explain what the centre rail rockers are. What happened to me was stupid because I was attempted to load a lot more wagons behind my latest 3098 to test for wheel slip. In the end itpulled "like a train".
Dereck
Offline sjlauritsen  
#9 Posted : 11 August 2016 06:47:58(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Hey Dereck

A centre rail rocker is to be understood as a "seesaw" for the pickup shoe ("Gleiswippe" in German). It is a little device that you mount on the centre rail where the two separate circuits meet. It will lift the pickup shoe so it will not touch the centre rail in booth sections at the same time.

Note: You will, of course, still need the isolator underneath the track to separate the two circuits completely. The seesaw is only there to prevent the pickup show from causing a short.

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline dominator  
#10 Posted : 11 August 2016 10:06:37(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Wow Soren. That is so easy and simple to do. Many thanks.

I think you will save someone else's bacon with that advise.

Dereck
Offline PJMärklin  
#11 Posted : 13 August 2016 08:34:37(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Then take a sinusoidal AC signal, and modulate digital data on top of that sinusoidal signal [...]
Digital track voltage is a square wave - nothing sinusoidal with it.

With digital track voltage there is just full voltage (with plus on red or with plus on brown) or no voltage.

Hello Tom,

Thank you for this information which I found most interesting.

Whilst years ago I had read the diagram below in my old Märklin digital "primer" I remained under the incorrect understanding that the digital message was all superimposed on an AC sine wave source from the transformer.

Revisiting the diagram it is clearly not the case, as you have pointed out.

Whilst I understand the digital message is modulated onto the track voltage as a square wave, does this mean that what is modulated by the digital signal is essentially a DC input rectified from the AC power source?

Also, if the track voltage changes from -22v to +22v in the diagram below from my Märklin "primer" is it truely just " full or no voltage" ?

Regards,

PJ

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 13 August 2016 08:58:57(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
Also, if the track voltage changes from -22v to +22v in the diagram below from my Märklin "primer" is it truely just "full or no voltage"?
In the case of MM, mfx, and DCC it is theoretically always full voltage, just with alternating polarity. But there is no sine wave and the controller does not vary the voltage to transport information.
SX and RailCom have full power with alternating polarity or no voltage.
The data packet that is shown in close-up does not have the 0 V line showing.

Your diagram shows the pattern for the MM protocol. DCC is different, mfx is different.

There are rectifiers inside most units, so you get about 22 V track voltage from 16 V AC input voltage.
With DC input voltage the track voltage will be lower than the input voltage.

Some Märklin decoders (6090x and probably 6090 also) reduce their speed when voltage is lower.
CU 6021 and booster 6017 have a DIP switch that reduces track voltage, allowing you to create slow-speed sections on the layout.
Newer Märklin decoders do not support this.

BTW: Your diagram nicely illustrates why 16 V smoke generators can be used on digital layouts: they are wired in such a way that they only get the "-22 V" from your diagram, not the "+ 22 V". This reduces the effective voltage that goes to the smoke generator to an acceptable level.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline PJMärklin  
#13 Posted : 13 August 2016 09:55:20(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Thanks again for the information Tom,

mfx is different.

I remain with 6021 (not as many complaints as I see on the forum for the later technology)
Though I run mfx locos on my layout. Whilst I appreciate that they are actually running on MM, how then is the mfx digital signal different?

There are rectifiers inside most units, so you get about 22 V track voltage from 16 V AC input voltage.
With DC input voltage the track voltage will be lower than the input voltage.

Sorry if I did not make myself clear. My question was , does this mean that the ultimate power to the track (albeit modulated by the square wave digital signal) in the modern generation Märklin is in fact DC ?

Regards,

PJ
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 13 August 2016 10:16:41(UTC)
H0

My question was , does this mean that the ultimate power to the track (albeit modulated by the square wave digital signal) in the modern generation Märklin is in fact DC?
Nothing has changed since the 6020: inside the controller there is DC and there are transistors that will route the DC to the track in an "all or nothing" fashion, creating a rectangular wave with alternating polarity.

MM, DCC, and mfx use different patterns to encode the 1s and 0s that are transported and how they are grouped to commands (data packets).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline PJMärklin  
#15 Posted : 14 August 2016 08:58:22(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
My question was , does this mean that the ultimate power to the track (albeit modulated by the square wave digital signal) in the modern generation Märklin is in fact DC?
Nothing has changed since the 6020: inside the controller there is DC and there are transistors that will route the DC to the track in an "all or nothing" fashion, creating a rectangular wave with alternating polarity.

MM, DCC, and mfx use different patterns to encode the 1s and 0s that are transported and how they are grouped to commands (data packets).

Thanks Tom

Regards,

PJ