Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sgbrail  
#1 Posted : 01 August 2016 14:46:10(UTC)
sgbrail

Australia   
I have acquired a series of 74460 decoders and a CS2 from the same previous owner. He says they all worked fine on his layout. I upgraded the CS2 software to V4.1.2 before trying the turnouts decoders. Then tried his turnouts but none worked at his addresses. So tried to re-assign them to new addresses but with no success. I have set the dip-switches to the appropriate numbers as per CS2 selection 'Old Installation decoder' and then upload settings. But the decoders did not respond when testing.

I have also been programming a number of newly purchased 74461 decoders and everything works as it should.

I then read an old forum post about setting up s88 or similar decoders, suggesting that if the decoder does not work, try reversing the power input cables. Amazingly the old 74460 decoders work when I reversed the power input from the track pins. RED swap with BROWN (now opposite to the wiring of the new 74461).

Does anyone know why this is so?

And will this possibly cause any damage?

And does anyone know if Marklin changed the connection detail? or is this a CS2 upgrade induced issue?

Or has anyone else had the same issue and used the same work-around?

Confused
Cheers, Dad & Dave
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 01 August 2016 15:08:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: sgbrail Go to Quoted Post
I have acquired a series of 74460 decoders and a CS2 from the same previous owner. He says they all worked fine on his layout. I upgraded the CS2 software to V4.1.2 before trying the turnouts decoders. Then tried his turnouts but none worked at his addresses. So tried to re-assign them to new addresses but with no success. I have set the dip-switches to the appropriate numbers as per CS2 selection 'Old Installation decoder' and then upload settings. But the decoders did not respond when testing.

I have also been programming a number of newly purchased 74461 decoders and everything works as it should.

I then read an old forum post about setting up s88 or similar decoders, suggesting that if the decoder does not work, try reversing the power input cables. Amazingly the old 74460 decoders work when I reversed the power input from the track pins. RED swap with BROWN (now opposite to the wiring of the new 74461).

Does anyone know why this is so?

And will this possibly cause any damage?

And does anyone know if Marklin changed the connection detail? or is this a CS2 upgrade induced issue?

Or has anyone else had the same issue and used the same work-around?

Confused

You do need to connect the decoder wires the correct way around for them to work as the digital waveform these use is polarity sensitive. Some newer decoders with have a microprocessor in them may be programmed to recognise the signal of either polarity and so do not suffer from this problem.

You do not damage the decoder having the wires swapped, it just doesn't recognise the signal.