Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Carlos  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2016 21:06:47(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Hello everybody: Please I need to know how to wire a large layout with C tracks in a CS2, do I need the 74040 wire sets and is there any diagram concerning this subject.
Thanks in advance, Regards,

Carlos
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2016 22:06:23(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Carlos Go to Quoted Post
Hello everybody: Please I need to know how to wire a large layout with C tracks in a CS2, do I need the 74040 wire sets and is there any diagram concerning this subject.

Carlos

Depends on your definition of large and how many locos you plan on operating at the same time. This has been covered in various threads on this forum. However, in general, you should count on adding feeder wires every 2 m (~6 ft.) or so of track to make sure you do not get voltage drops. This is usually done by running a larger "bus" cable around the layout and taking the feeder wires off of this bus cable at the appropriate locations.

If you have a really large layout you may also require booster(s).

So you really need to provide a little more detail regarding layout size, operating plans, etc. for members to give you some clearer information.

Cheers
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2016 22:07:17(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Carlos,

For a larger permanent layout you would normally run a wire bus underneath the layout and from that run small feeder wires up to track sections.

Instead of buying the feeder wire set, it's easier and cheaper to just solder the wires on.

So e.g. a setup could be:

Buy one red and brown thick wire (12awg). This is now your main bus which is connected straight to the CS2 plug. From these wires you either solder or clip every 1-2 meter a small 22awg wire (red and brown) and attach these underneath the c track (Bahn = red and O = brown).

For a carpet layout I would probably use the Marklin feeder wire set instead so easy to dismantle again.

See also below link for more in depth knowledge:

http://www.macbeth66.com...rklin_Wiring_Booklet.pdf

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/wirefordcc_toc.htm

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Harvey  
#4 Posted : 02 August 2016 01:26:17(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Following is what I have done. But many approaches accomplish the same thing

I use a loop wire of 12 or 14 awg. Where I want to feed current, I use Multi lock connectors. These clip onto the loop wire and allow insert of another very short wire (also 12 or 14 awg). The multi lock connector pierces both, allowing current to go to the short wire. At the end of the short wire I connect the standard Marklin wire. I run that last wire either to the track or to a 72090, which allows multiple connections to track or accessories.

Harvey
Offline elfangor103  
#5 Posted : 02 August 2016 08:51:02(UTC)
elfangor103

United States   
Hi All,

On my layout (C-Track, Digital) I have implemented exactly what Harvey has mentioned. I will take pictures of the wiring I have underneath my layout and provide a description of what I got going. Ill have the pictures up very soon. Hope this will help!
Newly Started Analog Z Layout
Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 02 August 2016 11:53:15(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I have an MS2. It is supposed to be able to run 11 locos. With the piddly wires coming out I would wonder it they could supply the power to run 11 locos. Haven't tried any more than 2 at a time yet though. At what stage do you run a booster? I am planning a much larger layout in conjunction with the one I now have.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline Carlos  
#7 Posted : 02 August 2016 14:51:57(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Carlos Go to Quoted Post

Carlos

Depends on your definition of large and how many locos you plan on operating at the same time. This has been covered in various threads on this forum. However, in general, you should count on adding feeder wires every 2 m (~6 ft.) or so of track to make sure you do not get voltage drops. This is usually done by running a larger "bus" cable around the layout and taking the feeder wires off of this bus cable at the appropriate locations.

If you have a really large layout you may also require booster(s).

So you really need to provide a little more detail regarding layout size, operating plans, etc. for members to give you some clearer information.

Cheers
Peter

Thank you for your response, unfortunately I will not be able to do what your suggesting whit the bus
cable because I already build my layout. I like your suggestion but I will do it in my next layout.
Unfortunately, I don’t know how to upload a picture of my layout which may be very helpful
to determine what I really need. I still will tray.
I’m sorry about my spelling in English

Thanks again and regards

Offline elfangor103  
#8 Posted : 02 August 2016 20:18:42(UTC)
elfangor103

United States   
These are the connectors that Harvey mentioned that splice into the wire.20160802_135424.jpg20160802_135433.jpg
Offline Thewolf  
#9 Posted : 02 August 2016 20:37:51(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: elfangor103 Go to Quoted Post
These are the connectors that Harvey mentioned that splice into the wire.20160802_135424.jpg20160802_135433.jpg

Hi Daniel

How many wires are connected to your connectors ? I saw only 2 out of it

Thank you for your reply

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 02 August 2016 21:47:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The connectors are called 'Scotchloc' and are available off ebay and elsewhere.
Offline elfangor103  
#11 Posted : 02 August 2016 22:27:41(UTC)
elfangor103

United States   
Hi TheWolf,

Yes one main bus wire and a second wire that connects to it. So 2 wires per connector.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 02 August 2016 22:37:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Offline applor  
#13 Posted : 03 August 2016 01:40:10(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
I have an MS2. It is supposed to be able to run 11 locos.

Not all driving at the same time! The MS2 allows you to have 11 locos in its database that you can drive but it does not have enough power to drive all of them at once.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Harvey  
#14 Posted : 03 August 2016 20:02:12(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
With regards to questions of how many locs can be driven by one power supply...

I have easily been able to run 4-5 passenger trains (with coaches lit). On my CS2, I have monitored power consumption and I recall there was 1/2 power available. This was a while back and I forget the numbers. There have been other posts regarding how much power a loc requires. Lighting is less of an issue with LEDs.

Harvey
Offline Minok  
#15 Posted : 03 August 2016 21:48:08(UTC)
Minok

United States   
If its not in the displayed data of the controller, there's a good argument for a simple ammeter in-line with the power feed to the track to get readouts of current consumption. Analog dials are simple, digital solutions can have peak hold capabilitites (but then also consume some power themselves if not separately powered)

http://www.digikey.com/p...574/1528-1144-ND/5353604

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline dominator  
#16 Posted : 05 August 2016 00:31:00(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Thanks for the feedback Eric. In case someone else on this forum is new to digital like me, are you able to let us know how many locos you can drive at once [ safely ] with the MS2 and when/how do you fit a booster.
Dereck
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 05 August 2016 13:37:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Thanks for the feedback Eric. In case someone else on this forum is new to digital like me, are you able to let us know how many locos you can drive at once [ safely ] with the MS2 and when/how do you fit a booster.
Dereck

Hi Dereck,

As an MS2 user I can tell you that I can run 3 to 4 trains at the same time with power to spare. I power my accessories seperately from a different transformer so all the power goes to the trains. Lighting in coaches can add to the load considerably, but using modern LEDs minimises this. In fact I have recently been fitting battery powered LED strips in my coaches which is even better!

If you are going to run much more than 4 trains at a time I think you should seriously consider a more powerful controller, like the CS2/3. I know it is possible to use one of the old Delta controllers as a booster on a layout using an MS2, but remember that if you do this you won't be able to register mfx locos on the part of the layout powered from the Delta unit.

I hope this helps.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Online Simplyme  
#18 Posted : 14 February 2018 04:40:14(UTC)
Simplyme

Australia   
Dereck

Hi Dereck,

It may not be helpful but I'm running an ECOS with 125 mtrs of track over 4 levels and in the current layout state (Before I run my feeder wiring into my Bus wires I am still able to run 6 locos comfortably all from one set of feedr wires from the ECOS.

Cheers,

Michael

Offline dominator  
#19 Posted : 14 February 2018 08:07:29(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Thanks Ray and Michael. I have been running up to 3 trains comfortably, and ended up getting another MS2 because I was having a lot of trouble loading the 11th loco every time. I have more than 11 Digital's now so life is easy.
Dereck