Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline zev kahn  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2016 05:10:15(UTC)
zev kahn

United States   
I just purchased a BR 64 Epoch 3 locomotive (my first real locomotive). When I first got it I could swear the front lights were much brighter then they are now. This one came with a smoke unit installed and the first thing I did was try to get it smoking which seems like a lot of trial an error. During the process I spilled a moderate amount of smoker fluid on the engine and the lights definitely got dimmer. A friend of mine disassembled the engine for me and we found a lot of liquid spilt over the innards and I did a lot of cleaning which brightened the two lower lights but they are still a yellowish color. The third light at the top is much dimmer. When I take the top off the engine and turn on the one LED visible it is as bright as the three for the backup lights. But when I put the cover of the engine back on the lights are just as dull. I can't figure out how to remove the light transfer plastic bar to see if cleaning it would help. I can't see a connection to the lower lights in front and can't figure out how to remove them to clean the contacts. Unless that is a bad idea.

Any help to get nice bright lights would help.

Thanks

Zev
Offline foumaro  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2016 07:01:18(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
If you drop the smoker fluid to the plastic transfer bars the damage is done.Cleaning will not help,you must replace these parts.Please note that you must very careful when you opening and close this locomotive,read the manual carefully.I made the same mistake with my BR44 37889 two years ago.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline zev kahn  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2016 17:10:14(UTC)
zev kahn

United States   
Thanks for the info. Do you know where I can find instructions on how to remove the transfer bars?
Offline foumaro  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2016 18:04:36(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Maybe in you tube you can find an answer for this.Many people upload videos with their efforts.I hope you will be lucky.