Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline twmarklinfan  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2016 19:02:28(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Hi all I have just acquired one of these. It needs a complete overhaul which I am now doing. However the question I have is there supposed to be some sort of cap one the dome that houses the screw for the body?
Looking at the manual it doesn't appear so but Marklin don't normally leave something like that open and the screw top visible.

Thanks in advance
Adrian
Offline Rwill  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2016 20:04:27(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
A 3618 was one of my first purchases new and I can confirm there should be a cap on both the domes one fixed and one removable for the body screw.

AS can be seen quite clearly on this ebay item: http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...b7414:g:098AAOSwmrlUw2tp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Markus Schild  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2016 20:39:31(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Adrian,

maybe the exploded view helps:

Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/3618_explo.pdf

Copy the link and paste it to a new window. Märklin does not allow direct linking.

Regards

Markus
Offline Rwill  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2016 10:13:09(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
From the link above and from the Marklin web site spare parts page for 3618 (that maybe the same thing?) it would appear there is no cap on the screw dome. However if you go to the recent version with all the bells and whistles number 37183 and then to the spare parts diagram and list it clearly shows the cap on the screw dome as item2 - part number e246150 for the princely sum of 6 euros plus of course the standard hideous shipping cost for something that would slip inside the very smallest jiffy bag and go in the "post". I would bet an awful lot that that cap will fit the 3618 - it also starts to give you ideas if you want to do more than simply repair what you have brought and bring it up to date. I say this as although still one of my favourite loks the digital functionality is 6080 decoder - lights on lights off and as someone on here said a while ago the "sound" of the motor is like a nearly worn out coffee grinder
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 23 July 2016 18:13:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
From the link above and from the Marklin web site spare parts page for 3618 (that maybe the same thing?) it would appear there is no cap on the screw dome. However if you go to the recent version with all the bells and whistles number 37183 and then to the spare parts diagram and list it clearly shows the cap on the screw dome as item2 - part number e246150 for the princely sum of 6 euros plus of course the standard hideous shipping cost for something that would slip inside the very smallest jiffy bag and go in the "post". I would bet an awful lot that that cap will fit the 3618 - it also starts to give you ideas if you want to do more than simply repair what you have brought and bring it up to date. I say this as although still one of my favourite loks the digital functionality is 6080 decoder - lights on lights off and as someone on here said a while ago the "sound" of the motor is like a nearly worn out coffee grinder

If you email Lokshop and ask for the spare part, quoting the number, they will supply it at a very reasonable postage cost. I never get the parts directly from Marklin as the standard postage to Gibraltar for any parcel is €50!

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline twmarklinfan  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2016 18:29:56(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
A 3618 was one of my first purchases new and I can confirm there should be a cap on both the domes one fixed and one removable for the body screw.

AS can be seen quite clearly on this ebay item: http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...b7414:g:098AAOSwmrlUw2tp

Thank you, now I will look for a replacement.
Offline twmarklinfan  
#7 Posted : 23 July 2016 18:33:27(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   

Thanks for this, I am considering upgrading the motor. Not sure about sound as I am not sure I will keep this loco
Offline twmarklinfan  
#8 Posted : 23 July 2016 18:35:49(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

If you email Lokshop and ask for the spare part, quoting the number, they will supply it at a very reasonable postage cost. I never get the parts directly from Marklin as the standard postage to Gibraltar for any parcel is €50!

Thanks very much. I have some stuff on order with them so I will follow your advice.