Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline RayF  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2016 21:05:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I want to tell you guys about something that occurred today.

I was running my trains using my latest MS2 SW V2.5. I bought this controllers recently in order to update my original MS2 which had V 1.3 and was struggling with mfx+ decoders.

Suddenly the MS2 stopped responding to any button presses. This is unusual but has happened before on the odd occasion. I powered the mS2 off, waited 30 seconds and then powered it back on.

When it came on it said "Keine lok", which was odd because I had at least 8 locos in the list before it froze up, and why on earth had it reverted to German?

I selected English from the menu and let the 3 mfx locos on the layout register themselves, then I went to the Loco database to add the rest of the locos. Here I got a bit of a shock! The MS2 showed the message "Loco Database Empty"! Scared

I tried a default factory reset but the message was the same.

Luckily I still had my old MS2 which I had updated from the new one, and when I connected them both to the track box the affected one immediately started updating its databases from the other MS2. I now have a fully recovered MS2.

Has anyone experienced this type of failure in the past? It would have been quite a catastrophe if I hadn't owned a second MS2!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline baggio  
#2 Posted : 18 July 2016 04:46:41(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
It would have been quite a catastrophe if I hadn't owned a second MS2!

Could you not have had the MS2 updated somewhere? Are there no stores in Gibraltar that have MS2 or CS2 controllers?

The problem you described is very disconcerting and it would have been indeed a big problem if there is no one locally you could have turned to.

Something tells me that these black MS2's are not quite the same as the gray ones. There has to be a reason for which Marklin decided to change the colour of the case. Gray was also the colour of the MS1....

The reverting to German seems to indicate, as you know, that all the functions reverted to the original factory settings. It may be that these settings did not include a loco database which was then added on but was not part of the "factory" default.

I would be interested in hearing what HO has to say on point.

Have a good... sleep. (It's now around 3:40 am where you are on Monday morning; 10:40 pm where I am., on Sunday evening (late) and 12:40 pm on Monday afternoon in Australia where some of you guys live. To them I say: bon appetit. Enjoy your lunch. BigGrin .

Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 18 July 2016 08:20:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
It would have been quite a catastrophe if I hadn't owned a second MS2!

Could you not have had the MS2 updated somewhere? Are there no stores in Gibraltar that have MS2 or CS2 controllers?

The problem you described is very disconcerting and it would have been indeed a big problem if there is no one locally you could have turned to.

Something tells me that these black MS2's are not quite the same as the gray ones. There has to be a reason for which Marklin decided to change the colour of the case. Gray was also the colour of the MS1....

The reverting to German seems to indicate, as you know, that all the functions reverted to the original factory settings. It may be that these settings did not include a loco database which was then added on but was not part of the "factory" default.

Have a good... sleep. (It's now around 3:40 am where you are on Monday morning; 10:40 pm where I am., on Sunday evening (late) and 12:40 pm on Monday afternoon in Australia where some of you guys live. To them I say: bon appetit. Enjoy your lunch. BigGrin .

Hi Silvano,

There hasn't been a Marklin dealer in Gibraltar for about 40 years, so that avenue is not open to me. There may be one in Southern Spain, possibly Malaga, which is about an hour and a half away, but I seldom go that way. I mostly buy Marklin from online dealers, or when travelling in countries that do have Marklin shops.

Both my MS2 are grey, so I can't really confirm whether the black ones are different in any way. I've heard that they are the same inside, and that the case colour was only changed to match the new CS3.

Ray
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 18 July 2016 09:34:51(UTC)
H0

Hi!
The question was:
Has anyone experienced this type of failure in the past?
My answer is "Not me."

I can share some background information.
The MS2 has a file system. The loco list is a file on the Master MS2.
The loco database is a file. Each MS2 has it.
I don't know where the language selection is stored - this could be another file in the file system.

It seems that Ray's MS2 had a complete memory loss of the file system. I never had that.

My personal experience: if the MS2 starts very slow then the file system could be damaged or corrupter or whatever. If you have another MS2 then it is safe to delete all files from the file system as they will be synchronised from the other MS2.

I once had a Master MS2 that took twice as long to start as the Slave MS2 - thus the "Slave" was "Master" for a few seconds until the real "Master" said "Hello". Clearing the file system solved that issue.
I did this after reading this as a tip on Stummi's Forum.

A factory reset does not clear the file system, but it resets the language. The loco list will be empty, but the loco database will not be deleted.

Something tells me that these black MS2's are not quite the same as the gray ones.
AFAIK the light grey MS2s have HW 2.0 or HW 2.1. I assume the dark grey MS2s have HW 2.1.
Just speculation as I didn't get my hands on one of those dark grey MS2s.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 18 July 2016 10:33:48(UTC)
Goofy

I did used Trix MS2 in about 5 years.
The only problem i did had was some bugs.
The list of the loco data (with all locomotive catalog number) seems waste.
I don´t understand why it´s necessary with this loco data list in the MS2.
I did never used it.
The new black box are exactly same like the old grey box inside with the latest version 2.5.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 18 July 2016 10:38:53(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I did used Trix MS2 in about 5 years.
The only problem i did had was some bugs.
The list of the loco data (with all locomotive catalog number) seems waste.
I don´t understand why it´s necessary with this loco data list in the MS2.
I did never used it.
The new black box are exactly same like the old grey box inside with the latest version 2.5.

For a non-mfx loco the loco database allows you to enter a loco with all it's appropriate functions just by entering its catalogue number. Without it I would have to create a new entry manually for each loco.

It is possible to use the MS2 without the loco database but it is less convenient.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 18 July 2016 23:19:04(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
I can share some background information.
The MS2 has a file system. The loco list is a file on the Master MS2.
The loco database is a file. Each MS2 has it.
I don't know where the language selection is stored - this could be another file in the file system.

Is the MobilStation running linux or some other OS? Can one get to it with a command line interface from outside? (telnet, ssh, etc)?

Just curious.

If the file system is corrupted, thats a problem indeed, the cause could be failing non-volatile (FLASH) memory storage, but it could also be electrical glitches during a data read/write that cause the file system to get corrupted, which could be from on-track activities or internal electronics of the MS having a glitch, would you agree?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#8 Posted : 20 July 2016 13:41:51(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
I want to tell you guys about something that occurred today.

I was running my trains using my latest MS2 SW V2.5. I bought this controllers recently in order to update my original MS2 which had V 1.3 and was struggling with mfx+ decoders.

Suddenly the MS2 stopped responding to any button presses. This is unusual but has happened before on the odd occasion. I powered the mS2 off, waited 30 seconds and then powered it back on.

When it came on it said "Keine lok", which was odd because I had at least 8 locos in the list before it froze up, and why on earth had it reverted to German?

I selected English from the menu and let the 3 mfx locos on the layout register themselves, then I went to the Loco database to add the rest of the locos. Here I got a bit of a shock! The MS2 showed the message "Loco Database Empty"! Scared

I tried a default factory reset but the message was the same.

Luckily I still had my old MS2 which I had updated from the new one, and when I connected them both to the track box the affected one immediately started updating its databases from the other MS2. I now have a fully recovered MS2.

Has anyone experienced this type of failure in the past? It would have been quite a catastrophe if I hadn't owned a second MS2!

Hi Ray - This has happened to me twice now: once with an older MS2, SWv1.8. Suddenly no response from the MS2; locos still kept on running! Powered off, counted to 20, and when I switched on again, Keine lok appeared, and data base empty. Like you I have "spare" MS2's so could couple up two of them and it "filled" up the database.
Now I recently got a new MS2, with sw v2.5, and so updated my other 3 MS2's.
But just yesterday, the exact same thing happened with the new MS2! I switched on, waited for the MARKLIN logo to appear, but nothing.....so powered off, counted to 20, switched on again,ans the same thing - the MS2 is completely empty of all loaded locos, and empty data base......
MOST frustrating ... Cursing I even bought a new power pack and connector box with the new MS2, but makes no difference - Crying Crying
Keep well, Joe

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 20 July 2016 14:14:01(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Thanks Joe,

I've never heard of this happening before. It never happened on my old MS2.

I guess I'll have to make sure I always have a spare MS2 around that's up to date as a "rescue" device.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 21 July 2016 19:08:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks Joe,

I've never heard of this happening before. It never happened on my old MS2.

I guess I'll have to make sure I always have a spare MS2 around that's up to date as a "rescue" device.

That is sounding like a rather good suggestion for anyone with MS2's.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan