Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#1 Posted : 10 July 2016 12:44:36(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Previous subject: Marklin 3086: Digital converted loco slightly heats up with light smell
Original Subject of the topic: 39644-help needed to open the loco body. This is solved now and changing the heading to another question

Team, could you share with me pics so that I can open the lid and access the screw. I did watch the youtube video where the installation of smoke unit on a 3964* is illustrated. But im unable to pop out the lid which is easily done in the video. Please help
also the finishing of this lid is so smooth that im unable to grip the lid with my nails. Do I need to use a sharp blade?

Edited by user 11 July 2016 06:23:55(UTC)  | Reason: Content edited

Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 10 July 2016 13:02:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: madhu.gn.71 Go to Quoted Post
Team, could you share with me pics so that I can open the lid and access the screw. I did watch the youtube video where the installation of smoke unit on a 3964* is illustrated. But im unable to pop out the lid which is easily done in the video. Please help
also the finishing of this lid is so smooth that im unable to grip the lid with my nails. Do I need to use a sharp blade?

A sharp blade like a scalpel will make it easier and damage the plastic less than any other method. From memory the join is right at the base of the rounding of the dome. I thought there is a slight lip that gives you some leverage, as I don't recall a problem on the one I have tried.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#3 Posted : 10 July 2016 17:40:15(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Thank you KiwiAlan! The lid popped off when I tried with a sharp blade with moderate pressure. Now installing smoke unit. Will update you all soon.
Regards
Madhu
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#4 Posted : 10 July 2016 20:25:19(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
The smoke installation was successful. I'll write about that in detail soon.

In the mean time, I ran 3086 digitally converted prussian loco with MS2 just now. I smelt a light odor (burnt smell?) and the steam cylinder at the head light end is slightly heated up. The loco ran without any issues. Only in low speeds, the movement was jerky with loud humming noise. Should I be worried about this?
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 10 July 2016 20:36:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The smoke installation was successful. I'll write about that in detail soon.

In the mean time, I ran 3086 digitally converted prussian loco with MS2 just now. I smelt a light odor (burnt smell?) and the steam cylinder at the head light end is slightly heated up. The loco ran without any issues. Only in low speeds, the movement was jerky with loud humming noise. Should I be worried about this?

Hi Hadhu,

This sounds like the normal behaviour for a loco that's been converted with a 6080 or delta decoder.

The odour is ozone which is given off by the sparking in a traditional Marklin motor.

The low speed jerkiness is normal for this type of motor and decoder combination.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#6 Posted : 11 July 2016 06:22:27(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Thank you Ray!! That answers it all.

My next query is related to Marklin 30000 (br 89). On my first layout, I had used some fibrous material for track side grass. During one of the runs, this BR had picked up few fibers and it was stuck in the exposed gear train that could be seen on the bottom of this loco. I carefully got rid of all these fiber. Since then the following problem is occurring.
Every time I place the loco on the track, I can switch on the head lights but the train does not move unless I give it a decent hard push. The lights glowing and the train not moving could be an indication that something is still stuck in the gear train. How do I go about resolving this? Also once the train starts moving, it runs smoothly. If I stop the train, I'll have to manually push it to get cranking again. This is loco is 3 years old and hardly done any mileage. Anybody else with this problem or any workarounds?
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 11 July 2016 08:07:16(UTC)
H0

The lights glowing and the train not moving could be an indication that something is still stuck in the gear train. How do I go about resolving this?
It could be an indication that the motor does not get any power => problem with the brushes.
Make sure the brushes can move freely in the brush holder and have enough tension (brush springs not blocked by cables etc.).

Do your humming noise from the motor when the loco does not move?
Humming noise => motor gets power, mechanical problem.
No humming noise => check brushes.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#8 Posted : 20 November 2018 06:18:44(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Sorry, I forgot to respond to this post. It was indeed the brush which had come out of spring tension. 4 months back I fixed it and BR 89 is firing again! Thank you once again for all the guidance
00.jpg0.jpg1.jpg