Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2016 12:41:08(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Being on the spectrum presents many challenges to functioning in normal society. It also effects how much I can work and my income potential. Trains are on the bottom of the list of bills, although it would be on the top if I had my way! What you see here has been gotten thru trading off my smaller HO scale trains I can no longer see very well, buying second hand at a much lower price than new and some were donated to me thru the generosity of others. Track is all LGB, some of which I have owned since I was 15 and I am 43 now. Trains are a mix of LGB and Kalamazoo brand. I tend to flip flop between European and USA prototypes but rarely mix the two. Trains run with onboard battery power, so no worries with track cleaning. The LGB 2-4-0 was just donated to me, I did the custom decal work and battery conversion. The 2073d I got this past Saturday, traded some of my HO stuff for it and a couple passenger coaches. I find the work of keeping the weeds pulled and upkeep very calming, helping me avoid meltdowns that are no fun for me to have or others to watch. Trains have always been my go to item to cope with being on the spectrum. Starting with Lionel as a child, then I got my exposure to LGB in my early teens with a starter set brought home from Germany by my aunt and uncle(who also got me into Marklin HO). I have always leaned toward the European side but have some USA prototypes when the mood strikes. Same with the buildings, most are European looking other than the depot(for now). I will be adding a certain Austrian Dr's office on the layout soon. Enjoy the pics. Mike
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

s
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 19 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline Janne75  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2016 12:55:38(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

I like your LGB garden railway. I have H0 analog and digital layouts. I have also Märklin 1 Gauge trains and tracks, but I build a temporary layout in our living room 1-3 times per year. Last weekend we were running them with my three sons. It's so nice to watch big trains running Love .

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline artfull dodger  
#3 Posted : 06 July 2016 04:26:34(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I love Gauge one Marklin, just not the cost that goes with them. I had one of the little Henschel 0-6-0 diesels and it struggled for power pickup outdoors and wasn't gonna be an easy change to battery power that I use now. Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline Brakeman  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2017 04:33:31(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Nice layout Mike!
I'm interested in your battery conversion, any chance sharing the tips with us? How do you charge the locos?
I have the same LGB 2-4-0 loco which has no real pulling power on standard power pack. Also cleaning the track all the time is not that much fun.

Thanks,
Juha

Offline artfull dodger  
#5 Posted : 25 May 2017 17:13:37(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I am using a sandard 6 cell, 7.2vt 500mah Nimh RC car battery, mounted in the boiler of the engine in place of the lead weight. Its not wise to pull long loads with the littel 2-4-0 as its drive is not as robust as the old Stainz drive block. I normally pull 3-4 cars around my small railway. The ground level line is nolonger in service and has been removed. Our new Beagle puppy thinks its his personal chew toy and digging area. In its place is a small raised line that is tempory till I can afford the track and wood for a larger line to suit my Aster Gauge one SBB EB 3/5 tank live steam engine I am trading for. This little railway will remain to run my LGB items. Mike
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline artfull dodger  
#6 Posted : 26 May 2017 05:11:30(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
More pictures, with ballest and mulch added. Mike
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger