Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PMPeter  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2016 17:31:37(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
A while ago I asked a question in an older thread about the CS2 PC software and got no responses. So reviving an old thread may have been the problem.

So I'll try this and ask is anyone using the PC software for the CS2? If you are, do you use the PC to make changes to the CS2 Layout, Keyboard, Memory, etc. or do you do that only on the CS2 itself?

Cheers
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline manos.g.darkadakis  
#2 Posted : 04 July 2016 00:09:43(UTC)
manos.g.darkadakis

Peter I don't have a CS2 but you may find this useful https://www.maerklin.de/...nloads/software-updates/

Regards

Manos SV1IW
Offline PMPeter  
#3 Posted : 04 July 2016 03:16:02(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: manos.g.darkadakis Go to Quoted Post
Peter I don't have a CS2 but you may find this useful https://www.maerklin.de/...nloads/software-updates/

Regards

Manos SV1IW

Thank you, but that link deals with updating the CS2 software which has nothing to do with my question and deals with downloading the CS2 software for a Windows based PC or for a Mac. My CS2 is updated and I have had the Windows CS2 software since it was introduced.

My question deals with who uses this Windows CS2 software and do they use it to edit the CS2 screens or do they do it on the CS2?

Peter
Offline siroljuk  
#4 Posted : 04 July 2016 07:36:30(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi Peter and others too.

I have done so that I used PC-software and edited my layout. It works this way:
Start the PC-software and click with right mouse-button layout page on the main screen of software. DON'T OPEN layout with left mouse-button.
Then do your changes in normal way just like you do with CS2.

BUT ... I have to say that I don't relay on PC-software that it make all right in all situations. Sometimes it save all canhges OK, sometimes, I don't know exactly in what circumstances changes are not saved.
You can try to make changes but I newer had done the whole layout from scratch.

I used wifi-connection when I tried above mentioned changes and studies about a year ago.

I think that Märklin PC-software is not tested very well. Perhaps sometimes with CS3+ all this is possible with reliable results.

While waiting for new CS3+ HAPPY TRAINING everyone and cheerful summer.ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards

Jukka

Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 04 July 2016 16:27:11(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post
Hi Peter and others too.

I have done so that I used PC-software and edited my layout. It works this way:
Start the PC-software and click with right mouse-button layout page on the main screen of software. DON'T OPEN layout with left mouse-button.
Then do your changes in normal way just like you do with CS2.

BUT ... I have to say that I don't relay on PC-software that it make all right in all situations. Sometimes it save all canhges OK, sometimes, I don't know exactly in what circumstances changes are not saved.
You can try to make changes but I newer had done the whole layout from scratch.

I used wifi-connection when I tried above mentioned changes and studies about a year ago.

I think that Märklin PC-software is not tested very well. Perhaps sometimes with CS3+ all this is possible with reliable results.

While waiting for new CS3+ HAPPY TRAINING everyone and cheerful summer.ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards

Jukka

Thank you Jukka. Now I know I am not the only one still using this Windows based software. You mention that you used it to make Layout tab changes on the PC. Have you tried making Keyboard or Memory tab changes on the Windows screen? Layout tab changes for me always work, but the Keyboard changes never get saved.

Peter
Offline siroljuk  
#6 Posted : 04 July 2016 16:40:38(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi,
I think you really are not the only one. Many have tried and realized that that pc-software is not ready yet.

I will test more today and tell you and others too, what happens.
I have very good testing environment.

Let us see what I'm going to find out.ThumpUp ThumpUp

Meanwhile Happy Training

Regards

Jukka
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline siroljuk  
#7 Posted : 05 July 2016 16:10:15(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello.
Now I have tested Märklin PC-software with my CS2.
As you can see version of PC-software is: 3.8.1
CS2 version is: 4.1.2(3) and CS2's hardware is 5.1

So as far as I know I have latest version of both.

I tested to make changes to my active layout, memory and keyboard.

For reason that I don't know my layout did not work at all from PC at start. I could not change turnouts: Then I went to CS2 device and push STOP-bar twice ( off and on again) and after that everything worked normally.
I made changes to layout and they went ok to CS2.
Then I made quite simple route and it worked also ok from PC and in CS2 and I could save all changes to CS2, no problem.
I tested keyboard and no problem.

As I earlier said I don't relay on PC-software, because sometimes it acts really odd ways. Sometimes no problem at all.
My conclusion is that the software is not yet ready and poorly tested with CS2.
I really hope that when I get CS3+ Märklin should provide new version of PC-software which will work better and reliable with new CS3.
I hope that in new CS3+ there would be new features and improvements, for example memory functions.

Well That is all for now.

Happy Training

Regards

Jukka

Offline PMPeter  
#8 Posted : 05 July 2016 16:25:24(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Hi Jukka,

By tested Keyboard do you mean you made a change to the Keyboard on the Windows screen and that change appeared on the CS2? I can operate the Keyboard from the Windows screen and I can make changes to the Keyboard Windows screen, but those changes do not get saved to the CS2 itself.

I do not have that problem with the Layout screen.

Peter
Offline siroljuk  
#9 Posted : 06 July 2016 10:48:31(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello.
I made better testing with PC-software and CS2 and ... of course ... Peter is right.
Layout and memory can be used and modified wit PC-software and changes can be seen remains also in CS2. But keyboard changes don't remain or even can be seen in CS2's screen.
You can make changes to keyboard in PC-software and changes can be seen in PC-screen, but not at the same time in CS2's screen.
After you shut down PC-softaware changes which has been done to memory and layout will be safe in CS2 but changes to keyboard disappears.

Hopefully in new CS3+ there is above mentioned feature changed and we could use also keyboard from PC-software with all functions.

It is easier to make changes from PC than from CSx's touch-screen.

Despite its shortcomings, I think it's fun to mess with these devices and softwares...test and learn more and more.LOL LOL

Happy Training everyone

Regards

Jukka