Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 01 July 2016 10:35:53(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
This may be of interest to some.

I have been painting models for 55 years, using mostly Humbrol, which I find has excellent qualities.
My collection of colours includes pre-mixed Humbrol tins in the historical railway colours (from the 1970s)
The paint's gloss finish is perfect for decaling.
I have tried other brands as well.
With the weather here in Australia, I can both brush and spray outdoors.

For spraying dilution I usually use the proprietry solvents sold at hobby shops.
For brushing and cleaning, I use any solvent available, usually mineral turpentine, as it is available in bulk.
However, all these solvents do cause some discomfort to my breathing apparatus, if I am using them for an extended period.

In the last few years, I tried "low-odour" turpentine, with little improvement.
Recently I tried plain old eucalyptus extract (oil), which is available anywhere here, both chemists and High Street markets.
I found it perfect, because I also use it as a nasal decongestant anyway.

Spraypainting is now done rarely, so I doubt if I will get around to trying it as a spray solvent/dilutant, but I cannot see why it would not work.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 10 July 2016 08:47:44(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
As well as a collection of paints, I also keep a stirring stick for each colour.
That comes in real handy when I am attempting to "match" a colour on something, because each colour is as it comes from the tin.
These sticks are available from any butchers shop (probably for free) or at those $2 shops.
In the event that you cannot source them, you might note in the photo, that the stick to extreme left is cut down from a paddle pop (ice lolly) stick.
Or you could cut and use the stick that came with Juhan's 10 year Marklin Users wagon - you know the one that is used for uncoupling.

Anytime I am looking to stir a paint, I look for the stick by colour.
The number written on the stick is the Humbrol colour #, which is always stamped on the tin lid.
UserPostedImage

Some of my paints have not been opened for 20 years.
When I do, they are generally in excellent condition. However I do have to stir them, thin, then stir again, often for 10-15 minutes.
Often I leave for a few days upside down, to dissolve what sediment I have stirred up, and give them more stirring.
You might say it would be cheaper to buy a new tin. Probably, but it lacks the same convenience.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 10 July 2016 09:21:40(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Hmm.. They look like reject uncoupler sticks.. Cool
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 10 July 2016 11:08:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Kimball,

I find that after I have used a tin a few times I get an accumulation of paint around the edge and on the lid which prevents a good seal. After that the paint just dries up and I have to throw it out.

How do you get around that problem?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 10 July 2016 11:15:29(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Kimball,

I find that after I have used a tin a few times I get an accumulation of paint around the edge and on the lid which prevents a good seal. After that the paint just dries up and I have to throw it out.

How do you get around that problem?

Hi Ray,
Yes, you have seen the problem. That is 75% toward the solution.

I am rather persnickety, in that when closing the tin, I do 3 things.
1. Add a few drops of solvent (without stirring it).
2. Scrape the gooey mess from around the edge with a screwdriver, so the metal shows. Discard.
3. About every third or fourth use, you will also need to scrape away dried paint from under the lid rim. This takes some grunt to get it clean all the way around.

I don't know of an easier way, but there you have it.
Oh, also you can use a smear of vaseline (petroleum jelly) in small quantities around the lid closure. That effectively seals it, and also keeps any settled paint blobs soft.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 10 July 2016 22:20:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 10 July 2016 11:17:23(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

Hi Adrian,
Could easily be. Hence my reference to Juhan's 10 year wagon.

regards
Kimball
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 10 July 2016 12:36:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

or cut down ice cream sticks. Magnum anyone ?

Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 02 November 2016 00:12:53(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
An update on painting and thinning.
I now use eucalyptus extract (oil) exclusively for oil based paints (Humbrol, Tamiya etc), which is available anywhere here in Australia, both chemists and High Street markets.
It also works beautifully as a clean-up product, removing excess paint from hands etc,. Even the stuff from the rattle-cans, which seems to lodge everwhere on face and arms.

The contents of re-opened tins in which I used the eucalyptus oil as a thinner, are not affected adversely at all.
(I always add a few drops without mixing, when closing the tin. If in a screw top bottle, also smear vaseline on the screw. The paint does not skin over, and lasts for ages.).

IT MUST BE eucalyptus oil (100%), which is shown on the packaging.
You can purchase water-soluble eucalyptus extract, which is cheaper and does not have the same properties, though is OK as a kitchen or floor cleaner.

Kimball

Edited by user 03 November 2016 09:56:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow