Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ausipeet  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2016 06:42:53(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
just been reading a few of the topics and came across the one in regard to fixing C track and one member mentioned using purchased corrugated material from Noch.
As an underlay for noise reduction on any size layout would work out to an expensive way of noise reduction, would it not be cheaper and easier then to go to your local large appliance store and ask them for several large empty cardboard boxes that get recycled and then to use them as noise reduction materiel, these can be cut to any size for any layout and can be painted to match any colour scheme and are very easy to fasten to any module or table top.
even easy to remove the creases caused by the corners of these boxes Just slice the of with a decent SHARP knife and then lay the cut section next to each other, has to be much more user friendly and POCKET friendly then having to purchase this sort of material.
Even when one decides to redo a layout then remove used cardboard to the recycle yard and start with fresh from the local store.

I was one to go out and purchase five large sheets of Cor-flute from a local frame manufacturer at some considerable cost to my pocket and now having thought about this i will be going out this coming weekend to source several Large cardboard boxes from my local GOOD Guys store and I know that they will gladly give them to me as i have previously gotten a cardboard box from dishwasher for our kittens to play with for free.
Regards Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ausipeet
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2016 10:36:37(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Ausipeet Go to Quoted Post
......purchased corrugated material from Noch.
As an underlay for noise reduction on any size layout would work out to an expensive way of noise reduction, would it not be cheaper and easier then to go to your local large appliance store and ask them for several large empty cardboard boxes that get recycled and then to use them as noise reduction materiel, ....Regards Peter

Hi Peter,
I have used corrugated cardboard in the past, but decided to go with something that does not lose its character, either by way of vermin, or by fluids when landscaping.
Corrugated plastics (coreflute) sheets are available free at my local hardware, they are used between layers of pavers and blocks loaded on a pallet.
They come in large sizes.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 02 July 2016 17:56:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Corrugated plastics (coreflute) sheets are available free at my local hardware, they are used between layers of pavers and blocks loaded on a pallet.
They come in large sizes.

regards
Kimball

Is this stuff similar to what is used for display boards and land agent signs? The stuff I am thinking of is flat both sides but has a core consisting of tubes in a honeycomb fashion (best way I can think of to describe it). Real estate agents around here get their signs silk screened onto this stuff and it is rugged enough to withstand most weathers.

Certainly good thinking for light weight bases.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2016 00:53:54(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

....Corrugated plastics (coreflute) sheets ...

Is this stuff similar to what is used for display boards and land agent signs? The stuff I am thinking of is flat both sides but has a core consisting of tubes in a honeycomb fashion...

Certainly good thinking for light weight bases.

Exactly!!

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Dave Banks  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2016 07:37:07(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Apart from the cost what about what we used in the old days, good old cork?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like...2174?lpid=107&chn=ps

D.A.Banks