Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline acwertheim  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2016 18:29:21(UTC)
acwertheim

United States   
Hi,
I have a Marklin 37811 locomtive with a mfx digital decoder. It has a smoke unit 7226 that uses F1 on my mobile station.
I need to change that to be always on.
should I connect the smoke unit directly to the power input on my decoder? that way it should be always powered up. Is this correct thinking?
Let me know.
Thanks
Abe
acwertheim
Offline waorb  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2016 21:51:46(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

Hello Abe.

IMHO it's not recomended to have the smoke unit powered all the time. You'll need it filled with oil also all the time.

Nevertheless, isn't good to the unit to run (powered) without oil anyway...

The best approach, for me, it's to have the unit as is, and enable/disable it every time the oil finishes...

Cheers,

Walter

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waorb
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2016 23:34:21(UTC)
H0

Hi, Abe!
Originally Posted by: acwertheim Go to Quoted Post
I have a Marklin 37811 locomtive with a mfx digital decoder. It has a smoke unit 7226 that uses F1 on my mobile station.
I need to change that to be always on.
Can be changed with a Central Station. Do you know someone with a Central Station?

Why do you want it to be always on? Not enough smoke? Too lazy to press F1?

You may need Seuthe No. 21 if you use a soldering iron to activate the smoke generator permanently.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Torstein  
#4 Posted : 15 June 2016 12:58:27(UTC)
Torstein

Norway   
Originally Posted by: waorb Go to Quoted Post

Hello Abe.

IMHO it's not recomended to have the smoke unit powered all the time. You'll need it filled with oil also all the time.

Nevertheless, isn't good to the unit to run (powered) without oil anyway...

The best approach, for me, it's to have the unit as is, and enable/disable it every time the oil finishes...

Cheers,

Walter

Sorry for the input, but let me ask..where is the information "do not run with empty smoke unit" coming from?

I have steamers from beginning of the 60,s who have been running over 50 years without fluid. Marklin delivered a lot of digital steamers in the 90,s without on/off smoke function, I have many of them.

Our club have plenty steamers analog /digital with smoke units we only fill one time in a year when we have visitors. Otherwise they have been running empty one time a week for the last 20 - 30 years.

No smoke unit have so far failed/broken.

The information above are not correct.

Torstein

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 15 June 2016 13:11:51(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Torstein Go to Quoted Post
The information came from the old Seuthe website. I cannot find it on their current website.

Originally Posted by: Torstein Go to Quoted Post
The information above are not correct.
It all depends. Digital vs. analogue makes a difference, the power supply of the digital controller and the controller itself can make a difference.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#6 Posted : 15 June 2016 16:04:36(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Interesting topic. Recently I got my answer when it comes to Smoke unit always being on on my 36243. Could you take a look at this thread and let me know if my understanding is wrong?

https://www.marklin-user...unit-on-36243#post520391

Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 15 June 2016 16:38:38(UTC)
Goofy

Digital smoke unit works best when you start use with the fluid and digital function on/off.
So long there is fluid in the smoke unit,it works fine.
When you don´t use smoke unit,just simple switch off via digital function.
Much more comfort! ThumpUp
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#8 Posted : 15 June 2016 17:05:40(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Digital smoke unit works best when you start use with the fluid and digital function on/off.
ThumpUp

But 36243 is an exception where smoke contact is always "On" as per the factory configuration. The above link I had shared speaks about this. I'll stop at this stage as this topic is different. I'm sorry for deviating from the current topic.