Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dominator  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2016 03:12:28(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Useability score
Roco 10 ; 10 Marklin 7 ; 10

Effort to make perfect

Roco nil effort 100% success scores 10 points Marklin too much effort scores no points

I hate to admit defeatMad but I could not stop 2 out of 10 Marklin couplings from snagging together, rising up, and failing to lock in.

I tried
1/ grinding the coupling leading edges to get an angle similar to the Roco. still on occasions they locked together, rose up and would not coupleCursing .
2/ cutting one side of to get both [ now hooks ] to lock in, that was successful but still ended up with the rising hooks that fell over the pre-uncoupler capCursing , also, would not come apart as the rear of the hooks snagged with each otherMad
3/ grinding the back of the coupler hook to try to prevent the hooks from snagging when coming apart. didn't workMad .

4/ cutting the pre-uncoupler cap shorter. This resulted in the top loop snagging under the pre-uncoupler and locking both down so a coupling was impossibleCursing .

Even at their best, the Marklin couplers required effort to couple and would tend to move a light carriage along the track before coupling.Glare
The Roco couplers just fall together without effort at all. A light carriage remains stationary.

when dealing with shunting yards, the couplings have to be perfect every time. Roco wins hands downLove .

Time for Uncle Marklin to get his act together.Confused

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2016 08:07:25(UTC)
H0

For clarity: did you test Roco Close Couplers or Roco Universal Couplers?

Roco couplers that couple with Märklin Close Couplers are "Roco Universal Couplers". The "Roco Close Coupler" does not couple with Märklin Close Couplers.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline dominator  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2016 10:24:14(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Roco 40397

This seemed to couple with the Marklin couplers ok.

This information available with the complements of Matt. Biedmatt
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 14 June 2016 11:11:20(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Roco 40397
That's the Universal Coupler, not the Close Coupler.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline biedmatt  
#5 Posted : 14 June 2016 11:49:27(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Roco 40397

This seemed to couple with the Marklin couplers ok.

This information available with the complements of Matt. Biedmatt

I included 8 Roco universal couplers with a bunch of M close couplers I sent to Dereck, I knew once he tried the Roco couplers he would like them.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 15 June 2016 00:30:24(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
They seem to couple nearly as closely as the marklin close couplers. Close enough for me I must admit.
Dereck
ps, All those in favour, send a message to Marklin asking them to improve their couplers or supply Roco ones. I see from the other post it might take 2-3 months for them to respond to emails but if they get many emails, they might have cause to react quicker, even if it is no.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 15 June 2016 04:16:27(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Dereck and all,
Thank you for the evaluation.
I like the Roco universal coupler, and use it on quite a few wagons.

I personally believe the "close coupling" idea to be overblown, as it appears to make little difference when actually running trains.
I for one, rarely notice the difference.

I won't be sending an email to Marklin however. I don't mind buying extra couplers, it might help keep both companies in business.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 15 June 2016 08:07:55(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
I personally believe the "close coupling" idea to be overblown, as it appears to make little difference when actually running trains.
I for one, rarely notice the difference.
For me it makes a big difference with coaches, easily noticeable on straight track.
With freight trains it is naturally less important. Not all freight cars have a guiding mechanism - and even those that have may not run buffer to buffer on straight track.

Good that we have a choice.
For people in Italy it could be more difficult to get the Roco Universal couplers - "not for sale in Italy", probably due to patent issues.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0