Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Lollo  
#1 Posted : 12 June 2016 08:20:04(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi all,

I am posting this just in case you experience the same problem.

During the update process of my MS2 via the CS2, power to the CS2 was ubruptly interupted, and as expected everything shut down.
After restarting the CS2, the MS2 had no backlit screen and was copletely dead. No amount of rebooting revived the update proceedure. Tride holding down stop button on MS2 and plugging back into CS2 & other key button combinations, but no response.
Plugging back into MS2 track box, was also non responsive.

I researched the internet and found nothing until I used this search crietria "Marklin MS2 hard reset"
Nothng useful in english, but thanks to google translate & the Stummiforum I found the answer. this is the link.
MS2 hard reset/Firmware recovery

I plugged in the MS2 into the CS2 (Powered off), held down the throtlle button on the MS2 (Forum post said Stop Button) & turned on the CS2. Once the CS2 had completed starting up, the MS2 was reconised by the CS2 and ask if I wanted to update the MS2 firmware ver 0.00 to latest ver 2.5.

Note that the CS2 see's the MS2 with no firmware installed, and the MS2 screen only lit up once the firmware started to download.

So now all back to normal. No need to send away for repair. None of this info could be find on the Marklin website FAQ or in the Manual.

So thanks to Christian (Stummiforum), https://www.coesoft.de
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Lollo
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 12 June 2016 09:09:15(UTC)
Goofy

Did you tried to find information at Märklins homepage about digital trouble shooting?
There is (?) information to download.
I did had MS2 and after 5 years i did decides to choice another digital system instead and they work much better than MS2.
But it´s good you did solved the problem. ThumpUp
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Lollo  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2016 09:49:55(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Did you tried to find information at Märklins homepage about digital trouble shooting?
There is (?) information to download.
I did had MS2 and after 5 years i did decides to choice another digital system instead and they work much better than MS2.
But it´s good you did solved the problem. ThumpUp

Hi Goofy,

Could find no useful info about this on the Marklin homepage. Must be secret squirrel stuff.
What digital system are you using?

Regards,
Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 12 June 2016 11:40:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Lollo Go to Quoted Post

It changes from week to week!

Good find Brian, this could help someone else in a spot of bother later on. ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 12 June 2016 16:13:35(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

ThumpUp

Are you fool against me!?? Cursing

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#6 Posted : 12 June 2016 17:06:43(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Good find Brian, this could help someone else in a spot of bother later on. ThumpUp

Indeed......wish we knew this a year or so ago when a buddy's MS2 "died" - he sent it back to M who sent a replacement......but of course the time taken to post from/to Cape Town is the issue.....Angry
Joe
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 12 June 2016 17:11:48(UTC)
H0

The trick was published in several threads on Stummi's Forum and IIRC it was posted on this forum before.

Would be good to have it documented in the CS2 and the MS2 manuals. Until then, use the fora to spread the word.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline baggio  
#8 Posted : 12 June 2016 20:02:45(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Lollo:

Thank you for the tip.

My problem is that I really do not understand what Google said here: "During the connection of the MS2 the STOP button and hold on the MS2 to the CS2!"

Maybe you can explain - this seems to me that you need to keep on pushing the STOP button on the MS2 while the CS2 updates the firmware of the MS2. Is that correct?

If so, presumably this prevents any power going to the track from the MS2. So, disconnecting the feeding wire from the track should achieve the same objective without having to hold the button down. What do you think? How long does the upgrade take?

Thanks to Christian as well (I cannot access the link to him for some reason.). ThumpUp

I set out here the German original sentence for those of you who understand German:

Während des Anschlusses der MS2 an die CS2 die STOP- Taste an der MS2 gedrückt halten!
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 12 June 2016 20:19:41(UTC)
H0

Stop button is wrong. You have to press the speed knob down while plugging the MS2 into the CS2. Can be done with two hands, but a third hand can be helpful.
The point is having the speed knob down while the MS2 gets power. This has nothing to do with track power.

The site is croesoft.de, not coesoft.de.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#10 Posted : 12 June 2016 20:36:14(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The point is having the speed knob down while the MS2 gets power. This has nothing to do with track power.

So, once both the CS2 and the MS2 are both on, you can release the button, am I right?

(While you are at it, HO, do you know of a simple way to grow a third hand? May come in useful with household chores.) BigGrin
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 12 June 2016 21:09:14(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
So, once both the CS2 and the MS2 are both on, you can release the button, am I right?
Start the CS2 without MS2, then plug the MS2 in while pressing the speed knob down. You can release the speed knob after one or two seconds or so.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 13 June 2016 21:54:34(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Hi all,

I plugged in the MS2 into the CS2 (Powered off), held down the throtlle button on the MS2 (Forum post said Stop Button) & turned on the CS2. Once the CS2 had completed starting up, the MS2 was reconised by the CS2 and ask if I wanted to update the MS2 firmware ver 0.00 to latest ver 2.5.

Great to know that Märklin is also following the best practice of building devices with firmware of always having a way to cause the device to reset/reload its firmware.

Press down the red round throttle button and hold while plugging in the MS2 into the CS.
I guess using a forearm to press and hold the button down may work well.

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 13 June 2016 22:10:11(UTC)
H0

I use the right hand to press the red speed knob (thumb), hold the MS2, and keep the CS2 at its position.
I use the left hand to plug the MS2 cable into the CS2.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0