Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 09 June 2016 19:41:25(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
On occasion, I run my analogue Marklin locos on the digital layout. This is less problematic that one may think considering that when I do that the locos take off at a speed that is substantial, but not too "fast" since they are old. One of them is the analogue 3000.

What I do, is:

- I put the loco on the track,
- push on the controller the stop button so the power goes to the track,
- the loco goes but I have no control over its speed,
- when I am done i push the stop button again, and
- take the loco off the layout.

All seems to work fine.

Question: Does doing this create the potential for harm to the controller (MS2 or MS1), any digital locos parked on the layout or the analogue loco itself?

Any feedback is welcome (and if anything bad happens, it will be my fault, no-one else's).

Thank you.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2016 08:35:53(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Question: Does doing this create the potential for harm to the controller (MS2 or MS1), any digital locos parked on the layout or the analogue loco itself?
I don't know.

With respect to classic Märklin locos with AC/DC motor (like #3000):
The loco runs slower than expected because the frequency of the current is much higher (5000 through 10,000 Hertz vs. 50 or 60 Hertz).
This could mean that the motor gets warmer than expected from the running speed.
The track voltage of an MS2 with Märklin switching-mode power pack is about 16 V and I think there won't be excessive wear. I expect the same wear as with 16 V AC, but at a slower speed. Same heat, same sparking, but lesser mechanical wear due to lower RPM.

With an MS1 (or MS2) powered by 16 V AC the track voltage will be higher - more than 20 V effective voltage. This will probably lead to higher wear.

For locos with DC motor the speed may be higher because a rectifier eliminates the high frequency. With a controller fed by 16 V AC you will get real fast locos, but probably substantial wear also.
So IMHO better stick to MS2 with that Stop/Go operation.

There 10 sorts of people: those who know binary numbers and those who don't.
You get binary operation for your analogue locos with 2 speed steps ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0