Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Thewolf  
#1 Posted : 03 June 2016 15:39:57(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi everyone Cool

I want to buy the 78151 marklin ( roller test satnd )...on condition that it can be considered as a way of programming.

Can it work as that ?

Thank you for your answerCool

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#2 Posted : 03 June 2016 18:23:54(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
You might want to check into the Bachrus test stands... they're made in Canada, much cheaper than Maerklin's version, and work just as well.
Offline Thewolf  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2016 18:33:36(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Eurobahnfan Go to Quoted Post
You might want to check into the Bachrus test stands... they're made in Canada, much cheaper than Maerklin's version, and work just as well.

Thank you very much...but my question is still without answer Cool

Thewolf
Offline tulit  
#4 Posted : 04 June 2016 02:05:25(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Is your question whether you can program a locomotive while it's on the test stand?

If so, the answer is yes.
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#5 Posted : 04 June 2016 05:28:08(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Theoricaly yes but certainly I wouldn't trust it for programming because a solid piece of track will provide much better contact and less risk of stuffing up the decoder. Do you mind explaining what advantage would you gain in using for such different purpose to what it was designed for?
Offline applor  
#6 Posted : 06 June 2016 00:15:28(UTC)
applor

Australia   
The train is kept stationary when programming but then the rollers allow you to test the locomotive in motion without having to move it to a layout - It is ideal for fine tuning sound sync on steam loks for example.
Same reason I have been interested in buying one.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline GlennM  
#7 Posted : 06 June 2016 00:51:43(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Hi,

I don't have the Marklin roller test stand but the Marion Zeller one (link)), when servicing locos I often do it remote from my layout and so I do not have the programming track with me just my CS2, and so I use the test stand. I use crocodile clips to attach brown and red wires to the roller stand and then back to the programme track outlet on the CS2 using the standard push fit plug, and and I use it to register, run, test, and calibrate locos. I have serviced over 30 locos in this manner

I am not sure if it is recommended, but it works, I hope this helps.

Best Regards
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#8 Posted : 06 June 2016 07:47:53(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
The train is kept stationary when programming but then the rollers allow you to test the locomotive in motion without having to move it to a layout - It is ideal for fine tuning sound sync on steam loks for example.
Same reason I have been interested in buying one.

I think that reason is of very little benefit when you consider the decoder can be damaged if contact fails while programming, you are better of having a proper programing track then moving the loco to the test stand, it's not that hard.

I have myself the early version 78101 and I can tell you that while it works very well and in theory you could use it for programming contact is not always be the best as you can see flickering of lights. That happens for many reasons but just one of them is the rollers accumulate a lot of rubbish from rubber particles to sometimes oil which is not easy to clean. A solid programming track can just be wiped off properly in no time. The test stand is very useful and I wear it out but I wouldn't program locos there.

If it is a suitable compromise you could however try to program the locos on the solid part of track included on the test roller and then move the loco to the rollers.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline Thewolf  
#9 Posted : 06 June 2016 16:33:09(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi everybody Cool

Thank you very much for your answers.

I wait for the last opinion of somebody: Mike my dealer and I shall decide later.

However there is an aspect important for me : to be able to warm up the locos .2 years when locos did not run and my layout is not buckled and no place for a small oval.

Have a nice day

Thewolf
Offline witzlerh  
#10 Posted : 06 June 2016 17:04:14(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I use the rolling test stand as my programming track. No problems. You do have to occasionally make sure that the rollers are clean....just like your track.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline Thewolf  
#11 Posted : 06 June 2016 17:09:25(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
I use the rolling test stand as my programming track. No problems. You do have to occasionally make sure that the rollers are clean....just like your track.

Thank you Harald Cool

Thewolf
Offline GlennM  
#12 Posted : 07 June 2016 11:32:49(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post

I think that reason is of very little benefit when you consider the decoder can be damaged if contact fails while programming, you are better of having a proper programming track then moving the loco to the test stand, it's not that hard.

I do not have the Marklin roller test stand and so I cannot comment on that item. However the Marion Zeller stand has a continuous solid bar down the centre, onto which the slider sits, and the wheels on either side sit inside two brass wheels on bogies (a set of bogies is provided for every axle). I would hazard that provided the loco was mounted correctly in the first instance, there would be no more and no less of a chance of failure than when using a standard piece of track.

I would agree with all comments concerning keeping components clean to ensure a good contact, be it track or roller stand.

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 07 June 2016 21:48:30(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post

I have myself the early version 78101 and I can tell you that while it works very well and in theory you could use it for programming contact is not always be the best as you can see flickering of lights. That happens for many reasons but just one of them is the rollers accumulate a lot of rubbish from rubber particles to sometimes oil which is not easy to clean. A solid programming track can just be wiped off properly in no time. The test stand is very useful and I wear it out but I wouldn't program locos there.

If it is a suitable compromise you could however try to program the locos on the solid part of track included on the test roller and then move the loco to the rollers.

If it is using roller bearings as the wheel supports then one of the reasons for the flickering lights is that when the bearings turn you end up with a very thin film of oil between the rollers and the bearing races, thereby interrupting the electrical contact.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan