Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#51 Posted : 11 June 2016 15:29:28(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
My experience with Marklin's quality control is not very good. I believe that buying a brand new Marklin loco without the assistance of a retailer that offers work/repairs under warranty is a bit of a gamble, more so than with 2 rail companies.

I don't like buying new locos by mail. If something goes wrong - and it often does - I would end up at best being without the loco for months and at worse having to bite the bullet and live with a loco that has problems or throw it away Scared .

Two years is a good warranty - not too many companies offer that here in Canada - but you need to be able to take advantage of it in a practical manner. For me, this means repairs done fast - say one to two weeks - not 3 - 4 months plus the shipping costs. I have had two purchases within the last two years that have needed major warranty work - one is the 36243 steamer bought a few months ago that has needed a new motor (installed under warranty by Mike here BigGrin ) and just now my 30000 is behaving like an analogue loco: when I put it on the track it takes off like a bat out of hell - I think the decoder is fried. Hopefully Mike will be able to put in a new decoder under warranty (it just happened, I have not yet taken it to him to fix).

If Marklin does care about its retailers - those that offer both sales and technical assistance - this is a good thing and makes customers happy and happy customers keep on buying their products. (Now if only they would add to the top speed of the locos.... Wink )

Hornby tries to do without such retailers as much as possible and for me this means that I can't buy a brand new loco from them. Also, their shipping fees need to be reviewed for those of us who do not live in the UK. There was a Pendolono that at one point I wanted to buy from Hornby, but after a bad experience with them I decided against it and did not renew my membership.

Finally: how is it possible that Walthers can make decent hobby-level locos - DC - for less than CAD$100.00 (and even much less on a good sale from them) and Marklin can't? These are good economical locos that run nicely. That is a market that Marklin needs to take another look at.

My usual 2 cents' worth.

Have a great weekend everyone.

BigGrin
Offline mjrallare  
#52 Posted : 11 June 2016 18:54:18(UTC)
mjrallare

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mjrallare Go to Quoted Post
And by the way, please bring back Stefan Löbich!
It seems he left because the Siebers had a strategy he didn't like.
Was he good for Märklin? Was Lars Schilling? I don't know.

Hi Tom,

I hardly know anything about Lars Schilling. Head of marketing was he? One saw his name in Märklin Magazin now and then for quite some years and he "survived" the reconstruction. That much I know. Did he have any controversial ideas?

I don't know that much about Stefan Löbich either to be honest. But he was recruited by Mr Pluta if I remember correctly and he came from the Würth company(?).
I think it was a strength coming from another line of business. He gave a professional and competent impression. Looking at his statements I also feel he knew that Märklin is a very special company. That is; a company that sells "toys" to grown-ups. During his and Plutas regime I sensed that there were improvements and also some kind of vision about where the company was heading. It feels as if they don't know where they want to go today. I would have felt more comfortable if Stefan Löbich was still heading the Märklin company.

But that is just me thinking aloud...

/Torbjörn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mjrallare
Offline H0  
#53 Posted : 11 June 2016 19:14:59(UTC)
H0

But he was recruited by Mr Pluta if I remember correctly and he came from the Würth company(?).
He came from the event company of Würth (Marbet). He was the right person to hire a singer for the IMA at Göppingen, but technical details of locomotives (three-pole or five-pole motor) probably were not his area of expertise.
I don't know whether he did a good job - he was a manager, not a technician. I'm afraid cost reduction was more important than technical excellence.

Marbet had sales of €52M in 2007. Würth had sales of €11050M in 2015. Märklin had about €98M.
I think you cannot hire a Würth manager for Märklin - those companies play in different leagues.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mjrallare  
#54 Posted : 11 June 2016 19:27:35(UTC)
mjrallare

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

I don't like buying new locos by mail. If something goes wrong - and it often does - I would end up at best being without the loco for months and at worse having to bite the bullet and live with a loco that has problems or throw it away Scared .
If Marklin does care about its retailers - those that offer both sales and technical assistance - this is a good thing and makes customers happy and happy customers keep on buying their products. (Now if only they would add to the top speed of the locos.... Wink )

Hi baggio,
I just wanted to be clear about one thing. I've said it before but I'll repeat it again. I have nothing at all against retailers or local shops as such. Where I live in Sweden I always buy locally if the opportunity exists at all. Before it closed down I used to buy my MRR stuff from a small shop here in Sweden. I went there to pick up my stuff about four times a year. I enjoyed it. But the things on the shelves were limited. Nearly everything had to be preordered so it wasn't easy just to change to another loco if there was something wrong with the one you had ordered.

But I sympathize with those of you who wants to buy from brick and mortar shops. But the business is shrinking and will shrink even more. As I said in my earlier post, who buys a television set from a small local dealer today? I would guess not many. Problem is that brick and mortar shops cost a lot of money and this money has to come from the total turn-over of the MRR-business. Small shops are already forced to close down in many places. It would be better for Märklin to have a vision about the future and to try to take control of this unavoidable course of events. That way it might be possible to avoid losing too much sales.

I think the home electronics business is a good example of what will happen (though I agree it's on another scale). And everything isn't bad with such a development. Before I used to buy my camera equipment from a small shop. Lenses had dust and fingerprints all over them. It was also hard for the small dealer to handle any complaints if there were any. He didn't have any big negotiating power with the distributors and he didn't have the finances to help customers out by himself.

But anyway, I just wanted to say that I have nothing against local dealers. I just don't see how they will be able to survive in the long run. Their rent, salary and other expenses have to be allocated to everything they sell. So this service of being able to check your loco and the technical advice surely comes at a price.

/Torbjörn
Offline mjrallare  
#55 Posted : 11 June 2016 19:45:50(UTC)
mjrallare

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
But he was recruited by Mr Pluta if I remember correctly and he came from the Würth company(?).
He came from the event company of Würth (Marbet). He was the right person to hire a singer for the IMA at Göppingen, but technical details of locomotives (three-pole or five-pole motor) probably were not his area of expertise.
I don't know whether he did a good job - he was a manager, not a technician. I'm afraid cost reduction was more important than technical excellence.

Marbet had sales of €52M in 2007. Würth had sales of €11050M in 2015. Märklin had about €98M.
I think you cannot hire a Würth manager for Märklin - those companies play in different leagues.

Thanks for the info Tom. Well you don't seem to think too highly of him! BigGrin

At least he left a good impression with me. I don't think Märklin needs to have a technical person as CEO. I guess there is plenty of technical skill at Märklin as it is.
But he seemed to know in which direction he wanted the company to head and in the interviews he gave, he seemed to have a sincere commitment to his work and an understanding of the company.

/Torbjörn
Offline kiwiAlan  
#56 Posted : 11 June 2016 19:56:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
so one can't really claim that they deliberately want to alienate their traditionalist customers.

But they also do not produce a cheaper version in analogue.

That is because an analogue version will be no cheaper. As I have said earlier in this thread the cost of making and fitting a decoder is cheaper than making a reversing unit.

The other advantage of a decoder is that they can use a DC motor that they can essentially buy 'off the shelf' (OK you won't be able to buy the exact motor from the motor manufacturer because it will have custom shaft lengths and maybe a gear fitted) and the cost of making a reversing unit to control this and convert to DC is crazy. The cost of the coil for the old style universal motor will be significant as well, and having to use different motor castings to the rest of the production will also put up the cost of the analogue only production.

Offline H0  
#57 Posted : 12 June 2016 08:41:30(UTC)
H0

But he seemed to know in which direction he wanted the company to head and in the interviews he gave, he seemed to have a sincere commitment to his work and an understanding of the company.
He made a good impression on me. It seems he wanted to target the US market and left as the Siebers had different plans. And now that he is gone, Florian Sieber tells us that total sales went down, but US sales went up by 50%.

Reading "former Würth manager" makes it look as if he came from a big, technical company. But he came from a rather small and non-technical company.

Managers let others do the investigation and preparation and make the final decision. It cannot harm if they know the product and the steady customers.

For sustained development a company must avoid making steady customers unhappy.
And as far as I can tell from comments on MRR fora Märklin made several steady customers unhappy in the past few years - before Löbich, under Löbich, after Löbich.

Buying analogue Märklin locos on eBay and new ESU decoders leads to affordable locos. Some skip the decoder and stick to analogue operation.

I think Märklin intend to stick to making mainly one-time series. Fewer new constructions in one year (not two new steamers competing for buyers), fewer livery variations of new moulds.
I think this will lead to higher profits, but lower sales.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#58 Posted : 12 June 2016 09:22:29(UTC)
Goofy

• I want the SDS-motor with a high quality decoder and motor electronics.

/Torbjörn

Not a chance!
Märklin did left the SDS motor permanent.
It was too expensive and trouble to produce special PCB to fit the locomotive.

On topic:
I don´t believe Märklin will offer anymore time with the analog locomotive.
It seems closed down and they make money by focus on the digital market.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline utkan  
#59 Posted : 16 June 2016 12:32:11(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
...please allow me to share a fact with you : If Märklin had not dropped ''analog/analogue'', they would have earned 30.000 Euros more from Istanbul....Flapper But I must thank them for directing me to the second hand paradise market....Flapper Flapper Otherwise I would not have managed to force the limits of 450 locos....LOL LOL Thank you Märklin.... Laugh Laugh
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline dominator  
#60 Posted : 17 June 2016 03:42:42(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I have reread this thread again.

It looks to me like its cheaper to produce a digital loco than an analogue one. Yet why are they so dear.

I spoke to a man who worked for a hearing aid manufacturer in NZ, and he told me the $8,000 -$10,000 hearing aids [ which I have ] are the same as the $2,000 one except what they are programmed to do. THINK ABOUT IT.

question, Would you give a set of the latest upmarket digital trains to a 7 year old?

My answer is no. They are not durable enough. [ 2 reasons, they are not robust enough in the body, and the electrics could be fried very easily by an inquisitive kid ]

as 14 year old Peter mentioned in another thread, the older locos are very robust.

So I agree with Marklin, only make digital [ with the capability to run on analogue ].

You then buy a loco [ like the hearing aids above ] and have the dealer program into it, what you want. You could also have the option either , with a limited number of locos, to have a more robust body on it, or buy specific robust locos.

Do you think that would satisfy everyone.

The people running Marklin have a very good idea what is going to sell, so let them get on with it.

ps, we should always let them know of problems though, because if we don't, they will keep making the same problems [ the close coupler scenario ].

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Mark_1602  
#61 Posted : 18 June 2016 16:12:21(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: utkan Go to Quoted Post
If Märklin had not dropped ''analog/analogue'', they would have earned 30.000 Euros more from Istanbul....Flapper But I must thank them for directing me to the second hand paradise market....

Hi Mehmet,

In December 2008 I actually sold the old analogue locomotives I had played with as a child because I only wanted digital, but only a few months later, I started collecting near-mint vintage items, initially because I liked Märklin's Nohab/AFB diesels and wanted the older analogue versions as well. Once I got started, I started buying other vintage models as well as some passenger cars. Gradually, I came to like them more and more and my analogue collection expanded whereas the number of digital locomotives in my possession kept on shrinking through Ebay sales. The numerous warranty cases that Märklin customers have to face nowadays also tilted the balance in favour of older products made in Germany for me, though I wouldn't thank them for that.

Vintage is enjoying a little renaissance right now, but Märklin won't make any money with that.

Best regards,

Mark

Edited by user 18 June 2016 20:54:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline utkan  
#62 Posted : 18 June 2016 17:32:45(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: Mark_1602 Go to Quoted Post
If Märklin had not dropped ''analog/analogue'', they would have earned 30.000 Euros more from Istanbul....Flapper But I must thank them for directing me to the second hand paradise market....

Hi Mehmet,

In December 2008 I actually sold the old analogue locomotives I had played with as a child because I only wanted digital, but only a few months later, I started collecting near-mint vintage items, initially because I liked Märklin Nohab/AFB diesels and wanted the older analogue versions as well. Once I got started, I stared buying other vintage models as well as some passenger cars. Gradually, I came to like them more and more and my analogue collection expanded whereas the number of digital locomotives in my possession kept on shrinking through Ebay sales. The numerous warranty cases that Märklin customers have to face nowadays also tilted the balance in favour of older products made in Germany for me, though I wouldn't thank them for that.

Vintage is enjoying a little renaissance right now, but Märklin won't make any money with that.

Best regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I must admit that I really do not care much what M* makes money with as they do not care much about analog buyers. It is sad to say that they do not care much about their digital customers either. With the help of their wrong policy I have a full functional fleet of locomotives in Marklinistanbul. And I feel myself safe from that digital madness. I do not have a single doubt either my loco will work or not when I put it on rails. Even if not , it is always easy to repairBigGrin BigGrin

Cheers,

mehmet

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline Mark_1602  
#63 Posted : 18 June 2016 21:14:13(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   

Hi Mark,

I must admit that I really do not care much what M* makes money with as they do not care much about analog buyers. It is sad to say that they do not care much about their digital customers either.

Hi Mehmet,

You've hit the nail on the head there. Even true Märklin fans like you and me now think that they don't care much about their customers. If they did, they'd have effective quality control and products that work reliably every day of the year. Ironically, those who buy older models second-hand can still get Märklin products with those attributes ...

I'm not against digital as long as it works and I still buy a few new locomotives (and car sets) every year, but I often need to return items with small defects ... Märklin does not need to make new analogue locomotives for me, but they should really care about customer satisfaction because the company has only been able to survive thanks to the digital users who buy today's products.

Best regards,
Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline utkan  
#64 Posted : 19 June 2016 12:24:04(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: Mark_1602 Go to Quoted Post

Hi Mark,

I must admit that I really do not care much what M* makes money with as they do not care much about analog buyers. It is sad to say that they do not care much about their digital customers either.

Hi Mehmet,

You've hit the nail on the head there. Even true Märklin fans like you and me now think that they don't care much about their customers. If they did, they'd have effective quality control and products that work reliably every day of the year. Ironically, those who buy older models second-hand can still get Märklin products with those attributes ...

I'm not against digital as long as it works and I still buy a few new locomotives (and car sets) every year, but I often need to return items with small defects ... Märklin does not need to make new analogue locomotives for me, but they should really care about customer satisfaction because the company has only been able to survive thanks to the digital users who buy today's products.

Best regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Let's hope M* will get so many more digital fans to help them to get out of that deep dark well...RollEyes because they desperately need lots of $$$$ or €€€€....Wink

cheap cost products + no quality control + costly prices = M* digital....Sad Sad

Cheers,

mehmet

ps:Hi, Baggio, I am so sorry if I have given the expression that your thread has become a dialog between Mark and me...Blushing

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline hxmiesa  
#65 Posted : 29 June 2016 17:48:54(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Wow. Long thread. It seems that some kind of misunderstanding persist, despite several writers trying to clear it up;

The current digital locomotives operate perfectly in analogue environment!
The decoder senses the track power and "emulate" a reversing relay. This is done automagically without the user having to do anything.
As the decoder is cheaper than a standard reversing unit, these new digital locos are also the cheapest possible loco for analogue operation.

Those are the good sides.
But to me, -who still use classic analogue, there are still downsides, compared to "real" genuine analogue locos from past glory;

If something breaks down electronically, I am not able to fix it. With the classic motor layout and old-school reversing releay I can always repair a loco myself.
Some new digital locos come with sound, and those are somewhat more expensive than a basic loco able to do analogue operation.
Digital locos working in analogue environment tend to run much slower than genuine analogue locos. (Meaning that I have had to slow all genuine analogue locos down, installing pairs of anti-parallel diodes in series with the motor)
Digital locos are completely incompatible with the Märklin 6600 and 6699 control units. Actually the digital components can/will fry if exposed!
Some digital decoders are in danger when using the 24V reverse-impulse with older-than-white analogue trafos.
Problem with direction of travel with some older digital locos; when left for a longer time, they will go back to run in their "default" direction of travel. This especially causes havoc in shadow-stations... (Problem is not limited to analog operation)

As long as M keeps their electronics "compatible" with analogue operation, I have no problem with them. My problem is the price-tag they put on new models. That keeps me in the second-hand market, which I am happy to say is working quite well. :-)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline witzlerh  
#66 Posted : 29 June 2016 19:31:25(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Henrik, your post really does sum up the analogue issue.
Yes it is cheaper to manufacture a single digital lok that can handle analogue.

However most analogue guys are also rather mechanically inclined and can do most repairs easily. The older analogue loks were also more robust in design and that lent itself to higher reliability.

As an old analogue circuit is more likely to damage a decoder...we are stuck with replacing the decoder rather than making an adjustment to the reversing mechanism. I understand this better now.

I am digital all the way but have worked on some analogue loks and find that trouble shooting analogue loks is easier and more rewarding.

Finding a dead decoder and having to wait for a replacement is not satisfying...
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline dominator  
#67 Posted : 30 June 2016 02:27:14(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
As I mentioned above, If decoders are so cheap, then make only one that can do all operations and the customer can then have their supplier program in what they want. [ like the hearing aids]. Marklin then can make thousands of decoders and offer them out to their agents. If that are so cheap, why not include a spare with each loc, or supply a few free ones to their agents so they don't have too much money in stock, and can then service problems quicker ans easier. If they are all made plug and play, then that would make changes even better. I hope they [ Marklin ] are looking at this thread.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä