Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vnangli  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2016 22:22:01(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Hello All,

I have recently purchased a track planning software on my iPad and Macbook as well, which has Marklin C track databases.

I started planning by choosing random track components.
Everything was fine till I wanted to close the loop, the final piece that I was choosing was either too long or too small or the radius of the track would end up not being a tangent.

If I were to explain my situation with an example, jig saw puzzle would be the best to explain what I am going through. I start choosing these puzzle pieces and start fitting them together, when I want to finish the picture with the last puzzle piece, it is turning out to not fit right in the spot. It is because of the piece is either too big or too small or the pieces I selected during the plan leads me to my situation.

Is there some kind of every manufacturers tutorial book or track reference book? Which gives some guidelines about what their track radii are and what pieces when connected together can maintain parallel tracks, tangency.

Excuse me, I completely accept I havent explained my problem completely. But, I am looking at getting more and more questions from the forum members so that I can learn how to improve my explanation...

Thanks for all the help.
Vijay
Offline petestra  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2016 22:36:49(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Vijay. I assume that you do not have a Märklin catalog? Use the web pages of the Marklin website in English. C- Track

has 5 radii. R1 thru R5. Look for catalog numbers beginning with 24 (5 digit numbers). Peter

http://www.maerklin.de/e.../c-gauge/?tx_torrpdb_pi1[pagesort]=artnrasc&tx_torrpdb_pi1[onlyAvailable]=1&tx_torrpdb_pi1[page]=2

Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2016 10:04:21(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: vnangli Go to Quoted Post
Excuse me, I completely accept I havent explained my problem completely. But, I am looking at getting more and more questions from the forum members so that I can learn how to improve my explanation...

As mentioned, there are 5 radiis in the C-track system (well, 6, if you count the R9 slim switches).
The curves of radiis 1,2,3 works with a distance of 77,4mm between tracks, while the parallels of radiis 3,4,5 has a distance of 64mm between tracks.
All the standard points (the shorter models) are for the 77,4mm distanmces, while only the "slim points" are for the 64mm distance. (-also the new "long curved point" is for the 64mm distance)
If you mix different curves without understanding the basic geometri (what you CAN and what you CANT do with C-tracks), then you will get the problems you mention.
Basic C-track geometri and simple typical combinations are always explained and showed in any Märklin catalog.

But it gets worse than that; EVEN if you know the system perfectly well, you STILL end up in situations where a CAD program will tell you that there is no way to fit the last track-piece and close the plan. Well, the software is wrong! In some CAD-programs there is an option to set the "maximum allowed tolerance" for when the program will accept that two ends can be joined. You might search for that setting in your software.
If you browse teh net, you will see MANY trackplans that has some odd skewed track-ends, where they are supposed to join (and they WILL join, perfectly, in real life!)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline vnangli  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2016 15:38:17(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: vnangli Go to Quoted Post

As mentioned, there are 5 radiis in the C-track system (well, 6, if you count the R9 slim switches).
The curves of radiis 1,2,3 works with a distance of 77,4mm between tracks, while the parallels of radiis 3,4,5 has a distance of 64mm between tracks.
All the standard points (the shorter models) are for the 77,4mm distanmces, while only the "slim points" are for the 64mm distance. (-also the new "long curved point" is for the 64mm distance)
If you mix different curves without understanding the basic geometri (what you CAN and what you CANT do with C-tracks), then you will get the problems you mention.
Basic C-track geometri and simple typical combinations are always explained and showed in any Märklin catalog.

But it gets worse than that; EVEN if you know the system perfectly well, you STILL end up in situations where a CAD program will tell you that there is no way to fit the last track-piece and close the plan. Well, the software is wrong! In some CAD-programs there is an option to set the "maximum allowed tolerance" for when the program will accept that two ends can be joined. You might search for that setting in your software.
If you browse teh net, you will see MANY trackplans that has some odd skewed track-ends, where they are supposed to join (and they WILL join, perfectly, in real life!)

Thank you for the detailed explanation, this is very helpful....

You mention about "standard points of 77.4mm distances" and slim points for 64mm. Can you please reply with a Marklin art number for these items, so that I am sure of what I have understood?
Also you have mentioned about radiis 3,4,5 has distances of 64mm. Can you refer a Marklin number for these track elements?

Have a great week end
Vijay
Offline Angus  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2016 15:50:31(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
24611 & 24612 - Standard points\turnouts
24711 & 24712 - Slim points\turnouts
24130 - Radius 1 (360mm)
24230 - Radius 2 (437.5mm)
24330 - Radius 3 (515mm)
24430 - Radius 4 (579.3mm)
24530 - Radius 5 (643.6mm)
24912 - Radius 9 (114.6mm)

Third number indicates radius, fourth & fifth number indicates angle e.g. 24130 is a 30 degree radius 1 curve.
Offline rbw993  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2016 16:50:32(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
In my experience random selection of C track isn't its strong point. It was designed to go together based on a 360mm length standard to keep things parallel and true. It is possible to design elaborate track layouts (as you've seen on this forum) but it takes some time to figure out how it goes together. I have always preferred to play with the actual tracks, it helps understand the tolerances of the system.

Regards,
Roger
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline vnangli  
#7 Posted : 21 May 2016 02:24:49(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Thanks to each one of you who shared your experiences..Understanding the radiis, and combinations of tracks to acheive parallelism has been a valuable learning...I am enjoying the trackng planning software now...

Sincere thanks to each one of you...
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 24 May 2016 00:24:31(UTC)
Minok

United States   
And if you do want to go crazy and just put things together willy-nilly, there are some additional ways to solve the problems.

1) If you cannot find a straight that is the right length, you CAN take a longer straight section and CUT OUT from the center of it, a section, to bring the straight down to the custom length you need (C-track) and join up the electrical connections at the cut.

2) If its an odd curve and only one or a few, you can transition from C-track to K-track and from K-track back to C-track, and use a run of flexi-track in that K-track section that lets you get the alignment you need.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134