Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fossie  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2016 14:18:25(UTC)
fossie

United Kingdom   
Hi

I have an old marklin 3075 diesel locomotive that I would like to convert to digital operation. Is this possible & what Marklin parts would I need?.

Thanks in advance

Andy
Offline ktsolias  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2016 17:19:49(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi Andy

Please can you give me the road number of the loco?
There are so many versions of the BR 216 and only the road number can help to find the exact version.
But deffintly you can convert the loco, (all the locos can be converted!!!!)

Costas
Offline French_Fabrice  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2016 19:11:21(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi,

Most of the time, the 3075 (and the 3074 as well) have and old LFCM motor type.

Normally, a Marklin motor kit 60944 should fit, but unfortunately the permanent magnet from this kit cannot be used with this loco.

Please check if your motor is a LFCM. A simple way is to check the brushes: One is made of carbon, the other one is made of copper.

The conversion process is Two-fold:
a) upgrade the motor with a permanent magnet (remove the coil), and also remove the analog inverter
b) install a decoder of your choice (Marklin, ESU, etc...)

Thus, you need:
1) a permanent magnet, for instance from ESU : ref 51960. I have converted my 3075 & 3074 that way.
2) a decoder of your choice: Most people here use either Marklin decoders or ESU decoders

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 23 May 2016 21:41:07(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post
Normally, a Marklin motor kit 60944 should fit, but unfortunately the permanent magnet from this kit cannot be used with this loco.
It seems you just have to file some pins of to make it fit.
I haven't tried it yet, but it should be a simple modification.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline 3rail4life  
#5 Posted : 25 May 2016 07:26:34(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi All,

It is actually quite easy to make the necessary modification to the permanent magnet in the 60944 kit when fitting it to a LFCM equipped 3075. Only the lower inside pin needs to have about 2/3 of its material removed.

I separated the two halves by removing the plastic bits and left the magnet on the upper portion to keep it from collecting the metal filings when grinding down the lower pin. After cleaning and checking for the necessary clearance, simply put the magnet back together and install the kit with your choice of decoder.

The 3075 uses brush plate #2 and the 8 tooth armature when using the 60944 kit.

Cheers,
Gordon

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline fossie  
#6 Posted : 28 May 2016 07:50:31(UTC)
fossie

United Kingdom   
Hi All

Thanks for your help. I did use the 60944 kit and am awaiting for the decoder to arrive. Can you tell me what light bulb adapters to use so that I can use the newer 2 pin marklin bulbs as shown in the picture above

Thanks for your help

Andy
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 28 May 2016 09:02:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: fossie Go to Quoted Post
Hi All

Thanks for your help. I did use the 60944 kit and am awaiting for the decoder to arrive. Can you tell me what light bulb adapters to use so that I can use the newer 2 pin marklin bulbs as shown in the picture above

Thanks for your help

Andy

E276770 lamp socket (incl cables) or E604180 (no cables and much cheaper)

From the sticky topic in the digital section

https://www.marklin-user...al-conversion-of-M-locos
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline fossie  
#8 Posted : 09 June 2016 07:38:26(UTC)
fossie

United Kingdom   
Hi All

I have installed a Lok pilot v4.0 M4 decoder for this Locomotive and expected it to be automatically detected by my ecos 50200 as an M4 locomotive. It hasn't and the locomotive does not move. Is there anything I am doing wrong as I have wired it up correctly as per the instructions. Does any one no what CV values to use in perticular to change its address.

Thanks

Andy
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 09 June 2016 07:59:50(UTC)
H0

Does any one no what CV values to use in perticular to change its address.
CVs 1, 17, 18, and 29.
Just change the address in the address field and the ECoS will know which CVs to change.

M4 has lower priority than RailCom+, so the loco should register automatically using RailCom+. Same like M4, but with a different symbol on the screen.

You will have to disable M4 in the ECoS to register the loco manually.
Make sure the loco did not already register with RailCom+. Make sure M4 is enabled in the ECoS.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline jvuye  
#10 Posted : 09 June 2016 11:41:47(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi All

I have installed a Lok pilot v4.0 M4 decoder for this Locomotive and expected it to be automatically detected by my ecos 50200 as an M4 locomotive. It hasn't and the locomotive does not move. Is there anything I am doing wrong as I have wired it up correctly as per the instructions. Does any one no what CV values to use in perticular to change its address.

Thanks

Andy

In M4 there is no address to set, the loc registers with its own unique ID (like a MAC address)

If you want to forgo M4/MfX and register the loco in Märklin digital or DCC, the CV for the short address is always CV 1...like in the good old days

I assume that ***before*** connecting the decoder to it, you tested the motor with a DC power pack, and it worked OK.

You can also register it "manually" on the detection track.

If you get the message " noc loc on the track" you know there must be some interruption between track and decoder...Wink
Usual suspect is the pick up shoe that doesn't make contact, or a defective "ground" connection of the decoder black wire.

Good luck!

Cheers
Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline biedmatt  
#11 Posted : 09 June 2016 11:50:11(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
DCC default loko addresses are always 3 on ESU decoders. Or worded differently, you will find the value 3 in CV1.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 10 June 2016 08:21:49(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
If you get the message " noc loc on the track" you know there must be some interruption between track and decoder...Wink
Or between decoder and motor. Same error message when the brushes are missing. At least with DCC - RailCom should work without motor connection.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 10 June 2016 10:38:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
if the loco has been altered (CV's) the loco may not respond to an automatic recognition in this case place the loco onto the programming track and re-register the loco,

has the loco worked before ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode