Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vnangli  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2016 15:05:56(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Hello,

I am considering to switch to CS2 from my basic MS2. As I started looking at the owners manual and other information available online, I had a question regarding the layouts. Request any help possible.

If I already have a layout set up and connect a new CS2, I understand the CS2 will identify all turnouts and switches which have decoders.
However, will the CS2 be able to display existing layout schematics (which was never designed on a CS2) on the CS2 screen by a mere connection so that I can now control the layout? Or do I have to redraw the existing layout in CS2 and then connect to the existing layout to control? The reason I ask this question is because of an option to view track layouts.

Or will the CS2 allow to open, modify and access layouts which are designed only on the CS2 being used?

Thanks
Vijay

Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 16 May 2016 15:25:13(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: vnangli Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I am considering to switch to CS2 from my basic MS2. As I started looking at the owners manual and other information available online, I had a question regarding the layouts. Request any help possible.

If I already have a layout set up and connect a new CS2, I understand the CS2 will identify all turnouts and switches which have decoders.
However, will the CS2 be able to display existing layout schematics (which was never designed on a CS2) on the CS2 screen by a mere connection so that I can now control the layout? Or do I have to redraw the existing layout in CS2 and then connect to the existing layout to control? The reason I ask this question is because of an option to view track layouts.

Or will the CS2 allow to open, modify and access layouts which are designed only on the CS2 being used?

Thanks
Vijay

Hi Vijay,

I switched from a 6021 system to a CS2 and I had to enter everything manually. The only thing that registered automatically are the mfx locomotives.

I'm also not sure what you mean by the CS2 identifying all turnouts and switches. On the CS2 keyboard the default buttons will be shown and pushing those buttons will activate the device. However, you need to configure each keyboard item to identify whether it is a switch, a signal, an uncoupler, etc. It doesn't do that automatically if you use the standard decoders, K83, K84, etc.

Peter

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline vnangli  
#3 Posted : 16 May 2016 15:39:08(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Peter,

Thank you for sharing your experience. When I say the CS2 will identify the switches and turnouts, what I mean is that I will be able to operate them right away. Atleast thats what happened when I used my MS2. I put the layout together with a couple of turnouts and connected the MS2, I was able to operate the turnouts right away..

Looking forward to learn more.

Thanks
Vijay
Offline PMPeter  
#4 Posted : 16 May 2016 15:45:36(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Peter,

Thank you for sharing your experience. When I say the CS2 will identify the switches and turnouts, what I mean is that I will be able to operate them right away. Atleast thats what happened when I used my MS2. I put the layout together with a couple of turnouts and connected the MS2, I was able to operate the turnouts right away..

Thanks
Vijay

Yes the addresses don't change, the wiring doesn't change and you can operate them immediately from the CS2 keyboard using the default buttons and settings. However, it doesn't create a layout schematic for you and insert the switches in the correct positions in order for you to operate them from the schematic.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline vnangli  
#5 Posted : 16 May 2016 15:51:28(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Peter,

Thanks
Vijay

Yes the addresses don't change, the wiring doesn't change and you can operate them immediately from the CS2 keyboard using the default buttons and settings. However, it doesn't create a layout schematic for you and insert the switches in the correct positions in order for you to operate them from the schematic.

Your reply answers all my questions...Thank you.Cool