Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2016 15:35:29(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Please realize that I have corrected my observation on the Marklin 2275 Double Slip Switch. This switch is not designed (or show I say has an inherent design flaw) to run trains slowly on the outer rails.

I have three Marklin 2275 - Double Slip Switch (K-Track) on my layout and they all have the same issues: No contact with puko on slider in outer rail- dead zone! I'll try to explain.

Marklin 2275 - Double Slip Switch K-Track seems to have an issue with most Marklin train sets. The problem? When the train set uses the outside rail the slider loses contact with the middle puko and stops. It seems that the curved outer rails and puko of the slider prevents continuous contact causing the tran set to stop. The slider looks some what like this ______----______ and whe it goes over the double slip only on the outer rail it stops in the because it misses the middle puko!!!!

Would you know if I can replace the slider with one that has a continuous contact plate?

This must be the reason they never made the same for C track!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Mixhel

Edited by user 05 May 2016 05:09:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2016 16:06:07(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
you can also solder a thin strip of copper onto the bottom of the slider so that it is flat.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline michelvr  
#3 Posted : 02 May 2016 16:31:08(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good morning Dale,

Thanks for the suggestion! I thought about that and I really don't want to modify the original slider. Replace yes, modify no! That should not be my problem! Nothing spoils my enjoyment more that a small critical defect on a very expensive train!

I'll hopefully find a more suitable replacement slider.
Regards,

Michel
Offline Roland  
#4 Posted : 02 May 2016 16:43:47(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Interesting. I'm about to purchase a few of these 2275 double slips. I'm now wondering which of my lokos may be affected.
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline michelvr  
#5 Posted : 02 May 2016 16:59:51(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hi Roland,

I edited my original post to state that the Marklin 2275 double slip switch is not the issue.

The problem is the slider, not with the double slips switches! They work great and add realism to my layout.

To me It seems that in my opinion certain Marklin powered trains have a slider that does not operate through the outer rail on the double slip switch and stops the train dead in the track!

I've been running most of my locomotives with no issues now with the Koploper I have this problem.

The distance is no more that 1/4" or 6 mm the length of the concave on the slider!

Should be a easy slider replacement.

Michel
Offline Roland  
#6 Posted : 02 May 2016 19:08:06(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Hi Michel,

Any chance you could post a picture of what this specific affected slider looks like?

Thanks!
Roland
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline BrandonVA  
#7 Posted : 02 May 2016 21:16:26(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post

The problem is the slider, not with the double slips switches! They work great and add realism to my layout.

I have noticed more modernly made locomotives tend to have shorter/thinner sliders, I think mostly as a cost/noise reduction. Older tooling locomotives that have longer/stiffer old-style sliders tend to hold up better. This problem had occurred for me even with the 2260 double slip in some cases, but in regard to those the issue was solved by making sure the double slip was completely flat. I have seen similar behavour with the 22716 long turnouts, but making them flat solved the problem (using track screws).

-Brandon

Offline michelvr  
#8 Posted : 03 May 2016 04:18:46(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
The Marklin Koplopper 37243 had a faulty couplier mechanism causing an extra problem with the double slip switch.

An oversized fork on the internal coupler mechanism was causing my unending grief!

Here's what was causing my problem. While running the train set many many times over the double slip switch I noticed by chance that the unpowered end car was sometimes lifting off of the track on the curve of the double slip. Enough so that the slider was not making contact with all of the pukos!

The cause, the internal coupler mechanism was binding on one side. One of the two forks on the coupler mechanism was oversized. Filed down, moves freely. Problem solved! But not with the double slip dead zone.

what's happening Marklin?

Regards,

Michel

Edited by user 05 May 2016 05:08:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline michelvr  
#9 Posted : 05 May 2016 04:44:08(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Roland Go to Quoted Post
Interesting. I'm about to purchase a few of these 2275 double slips. I'm now wondering which of my lokos may be affected.

The Marklin 2275 Double slip switch has a design flaw that will cause most locomotives to stop dead when run at speed step 20 or lower on MFX equipped locomotives. Only on the outer rails. Not going through the switch.

If you run fast you will not see this problem only the blinking of the headlight when it runs over the dead zone!
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 05 May 2016 10:43:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Why don't you try a Roco silent slider ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline hxmiesa  
#11 Posted : 05 May 2016 12:21:05(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
The Marklin 2275 Double slip switch has a design flaw that will cause most locomotives to stop dead when run at speed step 20 or lower on MFX equipped locomotives. Only on the outer rails. Not going through the switch.

Didnt the late Michael Prieskorn publish how to fix these crossings on his webpage?

Found it:
http://home.arcor.de/f.h...ioc/Seite03/index-3.html
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline michelvr  
#12 Posted : 05 May 2016 14:49:47(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
hxmiesa,

Thank you for sharing the link to the late Michael Prieskom Website. Beautifully written and yes he wrote about the one puko supplying power.

I would have thought that something this serious would have been corrected by Marklin?

Michel
Offline michelvr  
#13 Posted : 05 May 2016 15:07:35(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good morning,

May this be my last post on this matter.

Something so simple as no power to the slider because of a design flaw really spoils the enjoyment of running a $600.00 Marklin train set!

Now that I have the Gorilla off my back and posted my frustration on the forum what else lurks in the deep shadows of Marklin?

Michel

Offline dickinsonj  
#14 Posted : 05 May 2016 15:18:23(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

I have noticed more modernly made locomotives tend to have shorter/thinner sliders, I think mostly as a cost/noise reduction. Older tooling locomotives that have longer/stiffer old-style sliders tend to hold up better.

-Brandon

Yes, I have noticed the same thing. Perhaps replacing these newer sliders with the old style ones would solve multiple issues - such as my newer loks that have sound interruptions in areas on my layout where everything else is just fine.

I think river6109 has your answer.

Edited by user 06 May 2016 01:44:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline hxmiesa  
#15 Posted : 05 May 2016 15:30:54(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Good morning,
Now that I have the Gorilla off my back and posted my frustration on the forum what else lurks in the deep shadows of Marklin?

Oh, but lots of stuff! :-)

One of the most important failures must be the failing final cut-off switches of the point-motors. Both in K and C track.
For M-track there where often problems with the curved switches, if they were installed in an inclined position...
Older (very) digital locos wich forget the direction of travel, and will shoot of in the oposite direction, after a longer stop. (Great for shaddow-station entertainment!)
The fantastic running characteristics of the Henschel-Wegman Zug.
Brand new (old) Soft-Sine motors with variable speed. (Espeically when you want to keep the speed constant...)

You are never bored with Märklin! :-)

In most cases the "solutions" are easy; CHECK the product well before paying and bringing it home. -And in case of already too late for that; use your right to return a product if you are not happy.
M. generally makes excellent products, but they arent perfect... (nor is anybody else!)

Best regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline michelvr  
#16 Posted : 05 May 2016 16:09:07(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hxiesa wrote and I quote;

Quote:

"Oh, but lots of stuff! :-)

One of the most important failures must be the failing final cut-off switches of the point-motors. Both in K and C track.
For M-track there where often problems with the curved switches, if they were installed in an inclined position...
Older (very) digital locos wich forget the direction of travel, and will shoot of in the oposite direction, after a longer stop. (Great for shaddow-station entertainment!)
Brand new (old) Soft-Sine motors with variable speed. (Espeically when you want to keep the speed constant...)

In most cases the "solutions" are easy; CHECK the product well before paying and bringing it home. -And in case of already too late for that; use your right to return a product if you are not happy.
M. generally makes excellent products, but they arent perfect... (nor is anybody else!)

Perfect! As users of Marklin we should adopt this as the new slogan! Thanks to HXIESA, I love it!

Edited by user 06 May 2016 02:54:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline PMPeter  
#17 Posted : 05 May 2016 16:50:14(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Good morning,

Oh, but lots of stuff! :-)

You forgot to mention what I consider my pet peeve, the brittle C track of the late 1990s early 2000s. My box full of broken off C track bits is ever expanding!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline dickinsonj  
#18 Posted : 06 May 2016 01:52:51(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post

You forgot to mention what I consider my pet peeve, the brittle C track of the late 1990s early 2000s. My box full of broken off C track bits is ever expanding!

Yeah - I have the same problem.

I decided that having something to run all of my beautiful loks on made it worth buying new C track as the old stuff breaks. I am into my second (expensive) year of doing that. Being an engineer I of course have a spreadsheet that tells me what I need to buy, and when, to stay current. I have just accepted the cost as infrastructure repairs.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Cool

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline PMPeter  
#19 Posted : 06 May 2016 02:33:18(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Yeah - I have the same problem.

I decided that having something to run all of my beautiful loks on made it worth buying new C track as the old stuff breaks. I am into my second (expensive) year of doing that. Being an engineer I of course have a spreadsheet that tells me what I need to buy, and when, to stay current. I have just accepted the cost as infrastructure repairs.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Cool

I guess engineers do think alike! BigGrin I too have a speadsheet and am slowly replacing my old C track with K track. I generally only use the C track in yards with all the plastic connectors reinforced with epoxy. Good for one time use in 95% of the connections.

Offline RayF  
#20 Posted : 06 May 2016 09:37:03(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Most of my C-track is post 2003 and doesn't give me any problems, but I have bought the odd bit of track second hand that falls apart. I now only buy new C-track!

One spectacular failure was a turnout I bought on ebay. It arrived as a self-assembly kit! BigGrin. I glued all the bits I could find back together, but in the end bought a new replacement and it sits in my spares box.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline hxmiesa  
#21 Posted : 06 May 2016 12:35:59(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Wow. The brittle C-track! -How could I forget that MAJOR CLASS-ACT CLUSTEFCK ??? -Well, maybe because I dont use C-track myself. Went from M to K before C didnt even exist.

Really, there are so many "good" examples... How about a whole shipment of locos (I beleive from Györ) which were shipped without decoder? -Compare THAT to all the famous pictures and video-clips of dozens of ppl test-running locos on a small test-track in the factory... Great marketing, but please dont beleive a word of what you see and hear from the oficial sources! ;-) -Living in Spain that is actually a concept that has now become a way of life! (sorry, off topic...)

Still. We love Märklin, because at the end of the day, we (many of us) treasure glorious childhood memories, and appreciate vintage models of excellent quality. (Of course there were also lemons fabricated back then, but most of the nice old models we have preserved until today, are the good ones that survived...?!)
When Märklin do something well (and they do that a LOT!) -they are still able to do it better than anybody else!
Internet, -and especially this forum, is an excellent source for helping ourselves to steer clear of the major failures. Bashing is not helpful, but systematic listing of failures, problems (and solutions!!!) increase the quality of our hobby, and can help lowering monetary losses and/or other grief.
Dr. Obvious, stating the obvious. Sorry, got carried away ;-)
Best regards
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline dickinsonj  
#22 Posted : 07 May 2016 01:04:59(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I guess engineers do think alike! BigGrin I too have a speadsheet and am slowly replacing my old C track with K track. I generally only use the C track in yards with all the plastic connectors reinforced with epoxy. Good for one time use in 95% of the connections.

Exactly. When I say replace the C track, I mean retire it to low priority (low speed) and well secured use only. My layout changes frequently since it is not currently in a permanent configuration. I like K track but it is not right for me at this time.

I am overall happy with where Marklin is. Yes, they have had their issues, but all modern electronic/mechanical devices do - even top end German cars. I have gotten several new Marklin items this year for the first time in many years. I am very pleased with the appearance, quality and performance of all of them.

You can no longer trust that all of their products meet collector's standards, but networking on this forum has allowed me to add only good value, high quality items. Ten years ago I was sure that Marklin would have been gone by now, so I am seeing the glass as 3/4 full.

Cheers,

Jim

Regards,
Jim

Offline PMPeter  
#23 Posted : 21 December 2017 04:39:22(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
hxmiesa,

Thank you for sharing the link to the late Michael Prieskom Website. Beautifully written and yes he wrote about the one puko supplying power.

I would have thought that something this serious would have been corrected by Marklin?

Michel

Does anyone still have a copy of this article? The link no longer works.

I am having this issue with my BR85 Marklin 37098. It runs really well until it encounters the centre of the 2260 double crossover switch. It just stops dead on 2 out of my 3 2260s. I have modified the slider by replacing the original shoe with the hole in the middle with the shoe portion of one of the new clip on sliders. That improved the situation slightly, but I still stop about 95% of the time. I have tried to replace the Marklin slider with the Roco whisper slider but that created other problems elsewhere.

Thanks
Peter
Offline danmarklinman  
#24 Posted : 21 December 2017 12:03:15(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi, I found I had problems with this type of double slip. But when I re layed the curve track before it, all was solved? The loco of one type only kept stopping in the centre of the point? I think the track has to be dead level and straight if poss, before entering the cross over? I don’t know what your track or junction is like. But I have know issue now? Tar Dan
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline PMPeter  
#25 Posted : 21 December 2017 16:54:22(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Thanks Dan. I'm glad you solved your problem.

I know the switch has to be flat and I have that. However, it is laid on cork on top of plywood and depending on weather and season wood does shrink and expand so how flat is flat?

My real request in revisiting this thread is does anyone have access to the article mentioned in my previous post?
Offline Ross  
#26 Posted : 21 December 2017 21:59:03(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello Peter,

I can help you with this 2275 article

I know the switch has to be flat and I have that. However, it is laid on cork on top of plywood and depending on weather and season wood does shrink and expand so how flat is flat?

My real request in revisiting this thread is does anyone have access to the article mentioned in my previous post?

Ross
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline PeFu  
#27 Posted : 22 December 2017 08:33:45(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hello Peter,

Wow, just when I thought K tracks would be the way to go in my visible areas, and I had also planned to use some 2275:s. Then this article... Adding to this: A Märklin friend in my city has C tracks in hidden sreas and K tracks in visible. ”Next time I will go 100 % C tracks”, he says.

How about the rest of you fellow forum members: How is the 2275 working for you?

Confused
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline danmarklinman  
#28 Posted : 22 December 2017 09:25:32(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi Peter, I know it’s quite frustrating when you have this kind of problem. I tried all sought of things with the slider on the loco, to know avail? So I gave up.
Later I re layed the track existing my rail tunnel were the garage is? I wanted to put in a circuit breaker. I used the same double slip, adjusting the entry into it and useing a mini sprit level.
That solved it??
I’m not saying it will solve your problem, but you could also try a UK based Peco company, who make pukos for there track to fit and enable 3 rail running. See here https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm...-Gauge-New-/121290081435 Maybe adding an extra pin in the right place will give your loco power?
Which in my opinion was the reason for it stooping as other locos with mfx don’t have issues.
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline mvd71  
#29 Posted : 25 December 2017 09:44:25(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hello Peter,

Wow, just when I thought K tracks would be the way to go in my visible areas, and I had also planned to use some 2275:s. Then this article... Adding to this: A Märklin friend in my city has C tracks in hidden sreas and K tracks in visible. ”Next time I will go 100 % C tracks”, he says.

How about the rest of you fellow forum members: How is the 2275 working for you?

Confused

2275 works fine for me
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline mario54i  
#30 Posted : 26 December 2017 11:49:33(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   

The great majority of derailments and shorts happen on 2275. Sometimes (too often) half train with DC wheels crosses the switch correctly and then suddenly the rest takes the other way.
Should the long double switch be made in C I would likely replace all.
BTW, Weichen-Walter has very expensive double switches in C, how do they work ?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mario54i
Offline hxmiesa  
#31 Posted : 09 January 2018 16:55:46(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
hxmiesa,
Michel

Does anyone still have a copy of this article? The link no longer works.

I am having this issue with my BR85 Marklin 37098. It runs really well until it encounters the centre of the 2260 double crossover switch. It just stops dead on 2 out of my 3 2260s. I have modified the slider by replacing the original shoe with the hole in the middle with the shoe portion of one of the new clip on sliders. That improved the situation slightly, but I still stop about 95% of the time. I have tried to replace the Marklin slider with the Roco whisper slider but that created other problems elsewhere.
Thanks
Peter

Its still up!
http://bardioc.bplaced.n...ioc/Seite03/index-3.html

Thanks to his relatives and friends for maintaining the site! (And of course to Michael for doing the job some 18 years ago!!!)

Best regards
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline applor  
#32 Posted : 09 January 2018 22:07:53(UTC)
applor

Australia   

Confused

I have had no problems with my limited testing so far on my new layout. I do run all modern digital loks, different makes too though.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor