Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vnangli  
#1 Posted : 22 April 2016 01:27:45(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
All,
I just recieved this loco. When I place it on the tracks, it doesnt seem to register.
Here are my settings
Mobile Station version 1.81
Loco protocol set to MM2, Mfx, DCC

Is the version the main problem???

Thanks
Vijay
Offline billhubb  
#2 Posted : 22 April 2016 01:55:45(UTC)
billhubb

United States   
Hi Vijay,
It's time for an upgrade, and you should wait for the MS3. There is not much difference between the 2 and 3 but it will have the latest software. MS2 will update software if it's plugged into a central station, if you know someone with one or take it to a good dealer and they will do it for you. To get the most out of your loco's you need at least the MS2, and do what I do and use the MS1 on a pice of track to test basic operation of older locomotives.

Bill
Offline vnangli  
#3 Posted : 22 April 2016 02:38:54(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
I have Marklin 60653, isnt it MS2?

The other Mfx's I have register immediately, however with this 37202 the mfx symbol symbol keeps blinking for long time. And I have ran out of patience and aborted this registration every time. I am not sure if long time duration is common when registering 37202 with an MS which has a software version 1.81..

I just removed the 37202 right from the box and placed it on the track...The frustration is killing my patience...

Any help is appreciated...Thanks
Vijay
Offline applor  
#4 Posted : 22 April 2016 03:02:29(UTC)
applor

Australia   
This issue has been brought up already.

You need to update the software on your MS2 to version 1.83+

The 37202 is the new MFX+ world of operation decoder which needs newer software.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline vnangli  
#5 Posted : 22 April 2016 04:19:14(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post

The 37202 is the new MFX+ world of operation decoder which needs newer software.

I was about to call it a day and stumbled across this trick.
I also have a Marklin 37109 Weathered Mfx loco which registered easily on the track. I removed this loco and then placed the 37202, the mfx message blinked for a few seconds. Then the 37202 was ready with basic functions like light, drive both ways.

Just to confirm this wasnt a one time wonder trick, I wiped the MS clear of all locos and tried to register 37202 as the first loco, it wouldnt happen. But if I registered another MFX loco like 37109, replace it with 37202 on the track then certain functions would work...

Your comments are welcome...Calling it a day, after some worthwhile explorations.

Vijay

Offline BrandonVA  
#6 Posted : 22 April 2016 04:23:22(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   

This is it, although you seem to have discovered a trick to make it work.

Another MS2 that already has 1.83 can also update yours, or CS2 as mentioned.

You could probably operate the loco reliably via MM protocol if you disable mfx on the MS2, but it will limit the functions, so this is probably less than ideal.

-Brandon

Offline vnangli  
#7 Posted : 22 April 2016 04:50:48(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

This is it, although you seem to have discovered a trick to make it work.

Another MS2 that already has 1.83 can also update yours, or CS2 as mentioned.

You could probably operate the loco reliably via MM protocol if you disable mfx on the MS2, but it will limit the functions, so this is probably less than ideal.

-Brandon

Brandon,
You now introduced something which is completely new to me. MM protocol for an Mfx loco.
As I have been used to Mfx locos registering automatically, I have to try this new option.
So, in my MS would I just choose the protocol as MM2.

Can you please list the steps (options to choose)I would follow thereafter in my MS?

Now inorder to add an Mfx loco with MM2 protocol, should I follow these options add manually > MM2 programming ?
What should I do there after? What domain address and what other details should I enter in order to operate the loco with whatever limited functions would be available?

Thanks for your help
Vijay
Offline BrandonVA  
#8 Posted : 22 April 2016 06:01:48(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: vnangli Go to Quoted Post

Brandon,
You now introduced something which is completely new to me. MM protocol for an Mfx loco.
As I have been used to Mfx locos registering automatically, I have to try this new option.
So, in my MS would I just choose the protocol as MM2.

Can you please list the steps (options to choose)I would follow thereafter in my MS?

Now inorder to add an Mfx loco with MM2 protocol, should I follow these options add manually > MM2 programming ?
What should I do there after? What domain address and what other details should I enter in order to operate the loco with whatever limited functions would be available?

Thanks for your help
Vijay

Most Marklin mfx locomotives also have MM2 enabled in the decoder. However, if MFX is enabled on the MS2, it you cannot talk to the locomotive via MM. If you disabled MFX on the MS2, then you can do as you say; you just need to look in the manual for the locomotive address. MM2 only supports 4 functions (F0-F3), nothing else on the locomotive will function. The running characteristics may not be as good either. You also will not be able to operate any locomotives via mfx protocol as it's disabled on the controller.

To disable mfx in the MS2, you need to go to shift+the wrench, and I then I believe Locomotive protocol, and then you can select MM or MM+DCC.

I think getting your MS2 software upgraded would be the best path, but this may server as a workaround. The seller of your MS2 may upgrade it for free. Otherwise, maybe a local dealer/user or even a forum member could help.

-Brandon
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 22 April 2016 07:59:51(UTC)
H0

The other way around: the MS2 is buggier than Maine in June. It may need an upgrade for ESU V4 M4 decoders, it may need an upgrade for Märklin mfx+ decoders.

The MS1 and CS1 are much older - but work without upgrade.

mfx+ decoders do not need new software for mfx operation if the old mfx implementation is correct.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline vnangli  
#10 Posted : 24 April 2016 05:17:15(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Finally I was able update my MS to ver 2.5.
But the MS continues to resist/struggles to register loco 37202 automatically. Other Mfx locos easily register automatically.
Thought I will share this with the community.

Have a great weekend
VJ
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 24 April 2016 08:15:55(UTC)
H0

Did you upgrade the track box yet? You can do that from your MS2.
The registration problem could be with the track box.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline vnangli  
#12 Posted : 25 April 2016 00:53:29(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Did you upgrade the track box yet? You can do that from your MS2.
The registration problem could be with the track box.

Oh, yes...I tried that too...
The MS still doesnt want to register the Cargo loco 37202 automatically. I am a little upset with this 37202 and the MS rivalry. The MS hasnt been hostile with any other Mfx's I have. It just doesnt want to work with the 37202 in Mfx mode...
MM2 manual loco addition has no problem at all...

I have given up, but am ready to try any option from forum members' experience.

Thanks
VJ
Offline BrandonVA  
#13 Posted : 25 April 2016 21:23:25(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
VJ,

If you go into the loco via MM2, you can reset the decoder. If you havn't already done this, maybe this will help.

-Brandon
Offline Nielsenr  
#14 Posted : 25 April 2016 23:19:10(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
About three years ago or so, I had some mfx locos that wouldn't register on a CS. I ended up applying some analog voltage to the locos to make sure they ran and they did run. I then put them back on the digital track and they registered on the CS. If I remember correctly, Dr Tom originally disagreed that the trick would fix it but I think he eventually mentioned it in one of his digital newsletters as a fix for the problem. I am not sure if it would fix the problem with a reluctant MS controller. It wouldn't hurt to try it.

Robert

PS I found some of the discussion in Digital Newsletter Vol 23 No 4
Offline vnangli  
#15 Posted : 26 April 2016 03:05:48(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
VJ,

If you go into the loco via MM2, you can reset the decoder. If you havn't already done this, maybe this will help.

-Brandon

Believe me I tried that trick too.. Nope MS doesn't want 37202.
Offline vnangli  
#16 Posted : 26 April 2016 03:07:39(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: Nielsenr Go to Quoted Post
About three years ago or so, I had some mfx locos that wouldn't register on a CS. I ended up applying some analog voltage to the locos to make sure they ran and they did run. I then put them back on the digital track and they registered on the CS. If I remember correctly, Dr Tom originally disagreed that the trick would fix it but I think he eventually mentioned it in one of his digital newsletters as a fix for the problem. I am not sure if it would fix the problem with a reluctant MS controller. It wouldn't hurt to try it.

Robert

Can you provide details on applying Analog voltage? How would I do it ane what would I need.
Thanks
Vijay
Offline 3rail4life  
#17 Posted : 26 April 2016 03:44:40(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
VJ,

Another thing to check/try is the loco list in the mobile station, if it shows up there it may have only partially registered incorrectly/ previously and needs to be deleted before the mobile station will register it again.

You can view the locos in the list by attempting to add a new loco from the loco list, should it show up there it needs to be removed completely and re-registered.

To remove a loco from the loco list, you may use the configure loco menu with any active locomotive to access the remove loco option which will allow you to delete it from the list, you may need to scroll down to find it if you have multiple locos in the list. select the loco to be deleted and confirm with selecting yes to the delete? in the ?remove loco, menu.

After removal from the MS list, try again to let it register automatically...

Cheers,
Gordon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline vnangli  
#18 Posted : 26 April 2016 15:01:58(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: 3rail4life Go to Quoted Post
VJ,

Another thing to check/try is the loco list in the mobile station, if it shows up there it may have only partially registered incorrectly/ previously and needs to be deleted before the mobile station will register it again.

You can view the locos in the list by attempting to add a new loco from the loco list, should it show up there it needs to be removed completely and re-registered.

To remove a loco from the loco list, you may use the configure loco menu with any active locomotive to access the remove loco option which will allow you to delete it from the list, you may need to scroll down to find it if you have multiple locos in the list. select the loco to be deleted and confirm with selecting yes to the delete? in the ?remove loco, menu.

After removal from the MS list, try again to let it register automatically...

Cheers,
Gordon

Gordon,

Good Morning.

Believe me I have tried all the Reset and Restart trick on the MS. I might have tried this cycle of resetting the MS about 20 times, keeping the track clear of locos. Then I would place the loco. Yes, occasionally during these 20 trials the MS would blink Mfx for a couple of seconds (when I placed the 37202 loco) and come back to blink forever. I even gave time during my dinner...The MS wouldnt register...

Now, occasionally again when I would place the loco 37202 on the track the plus marks (with MFX message still blinking) would turn to appear like a loco symbol. But would vanish immediately, like how you have mentioned about partially registering...I was able to operate the loco as long as it was on the track. But after an immediate power off to the MS, those functionalities would be gone and the partially registered loco would be wiped out..

These experiences have made me think, is this what Marklin is all about? Excuse me for my harsh words. But all my enthusiasm is gone. This thing has seriously left me thinking, Marklin Digital products' quality is a hit and miss. May work, May not work...With all the Apple gadgets around and my boasting that I am a Mechanical Engineer and can fix things, these past few days of my experience with the NOTORIOUS 37202 and MFX tussle has made me think...Well I may have a piece of electronics which may have slipped the quality check...I am frustrated.

I have to thank all the members who have provided their experiences, suggestions and thoughts. This last saturday, I drove to Medina, OH (abt 4 hours each way) just for the sake of getting an update to my MS. When I see the inconsistency in performance, it makes me think that I better treat these locos like any other display toy with great detail...There is no guarantee that they will impress you when you put them on the track...I have to stop my complaining...Cursing

All, Have a nice day...
Offline Nielsenr  
#19 Posted : 26 April 2016 16:13:24(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Originally Posted by: Nielsenr Go to Quoted Post

Robert

Can you provide details on applying Analog voltage? How would I do it ane what would I need.
Thanks
Vijay

You would need a conventional analog transformer/power supply. You could connect the output wires to s few pieces of spare tracks or just touch one output wire to the wheels and the other output wire to the slider. The wheels should then turn.

Robert
Offline vnangli  
#20 Posted : 28 April 2016 19:28:44(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Alright, My experiments with this Loco registration will end today. I borrowed an MS2 from a dealer and put the 37202 loco on the track. The MS2 (borrowed from dealer) within few seconds started blinking Mfx and came up with all the function keys though all icons looked like a bulb. But the functions were working. I was happy at this point of time, as my earlier MS2 wasnt even getting this far to register. But, once I unplugged the power to the connector box with the "BORROWED" MS2 still connected and powered up again. The registered loco was no appearing and the Mfx message wouldnt be blinking.

So, my assessment of the predictability was probably correct and not predictable... It is "QUALITY BY CHANCE", unfortunately.

Thought I would share my experience to the benefit of the members who might be going through something similar....

Vijay
Offline kiwiAlan  
#21 Posted : 28 April 2016 22:01:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Alright, My experiments with this Loco registration will end today. I borrowed an MS2 from a dealer and put the 37202 loco on the track. The MS2 (borrowed from dealer) within few seconds started blinking Mfx and came up with all the function keys though all icons looked like a bulb. But the functions were working. I was happy at this point of time, as my earlier MS2 wasnt even getting this far to register. But, once I unplugged the power to the connector box with the "BORROWED" MS2 still connected and powered up again. The registered loco was no appearing and the Mfx message wouldnt be blinking.

So, my assessment of the predictability was probably correct and not predictable... It is "QUALITY BY CHANCE", unfortunately.

Thought I would share my experience to the benefit of the members who might be going through something similar....

Vijay

I think there may be a misconception here.

Once the loco is registered it shouldn't need to register again (causing the mfx logo to blink) unless the ms2 is reset.

After registration the next time you turn on the ms2 you should be able to select that loco from the list of locos it has in the database.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
H0
Offline vnangli  
#22 Posted : 26 May 2016 04:10:33(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
I am going through some "EUREKA" moments out of sheer excitement...I was told that FCC INTERFERENCE suppression set was the mother of all my problems when few Of Mfx locos werent registering. I was using this interference set all these days (which came with my ICE set 29791).

I just got rid of it and then connected my track connector box directly to the tracks and placed the locos. Couple of seconds, all the locos which gave me hard time were easily registering as Mfx with all functions available. BINGO the locos were dancing to my tunes. I checked to see if the registerations were momentary, nope there were all good.

I thought of updating the community for the benefit of "Somebody" who might be going through a similar situation.

Good night
Vijay
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by vnangli
Offline H0  
#23 Posted : 26 May 2016 08:57:02(UTC)
H0

I was told that FCC INTERFERENCE suppression set was the mother of all my problems when few Of Mfx locos werent registering.
This problem has been mentioned in several threads, but it's good to mention it from time to time.

I think the 37202 comes without FCC approval anyway. So mfx has the extra thrill of illegality. LOL
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage