Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vnangli  
#1 Posted : 16 April 2016 00:36:19(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Members,
Please help me run the ICE 2 locomotive....I am using a Mobile Station which came with the set 29791.
Here is whats happening.
1) I place the Loco only (not any other cars) on the track
2) Insert the loco card
3) I see all functions listed on the MS display
4) The front lights blink for few seconds, and thats it

I am not able check any functions like sound or run the loco. The track I have set up is not a loop, it is just one straight track.
When I iniaitally bought this set and set up the loco, I faced the same issue. Then, I sent the loco only to the seller (based in Chicago suburbs) to see if there was anything wrong. It seems my loco was tested, it came back with a post it stating "needs programming, address 2".

When I am inserting the loco card, am I not programming it? If the lights can blink, what is that I may be doing wrong that I am not able to the loco?

Please help...

Vijay
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 16 April 2016 08:05:24(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: vnangli Go to Quoted Post
When I am inserting the loco card, am I not programming it?
Yes. The MS2 will be set to the address stored in the loco card.
If the loco has a different address, then it will not run.

If the lights can blink, what is that I may be doing wrong that I am not able to the loco?
You don't tell us what you do to get the lights blinking.
Lights blink when programming or detecting the loco.

Have you tried "Detect loco"?
Or try changing the address after inserting the loco card with only the ICE 2 on the track. When the loco runs, you can change the address back to 2 or update the loco card.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline vnangli  
#3 Posted : 16 April 2016 17:17:33(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
If the lights can blink, what is that I may be doing wrong that I am not able to the loco? You don't tell us what you do to get the lights blinking.
Lights blink when programming or detecting the loco.

Have you tried "Detect loco"?
Or try changing the address after inserting the loco card with only the ICE 2 on the track. When the loco runs, you can change the address back to 2 or update the loco card.

I noticed the lights blink when the loco is on the track and when I change the CV address to "2". And after that, loco stays doing nothing...

"Detect loco", I don't see this option in the MS when the loco is sitting on the track.
I see options like reset, remove, free but not Detect.

Any help?
Offline baggio  
#4 Posted : 18 April 2016 02:50:44(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Do you know if the decoder is an MFX decoder? (Mfx decoders register themselves.)

If so, then just forget about the card and put the train on and see what happens. The loco should register itself and you should be able to run it.

If the decoder is not an mfx decoder, then program it manually to address two WITHOUT the card.

Somehow, it seems to me the card is the culprit here.
Offline vnangli  
#5 Posted : 18 April 2016 03:10:21(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Do you know if the decoder is an MFX decoder? (Mfx decoders register themselves.)

If so, then just forget about the card and put the train on and see what happens. The loco should register itself and you should be able to run it.

If the decoder is not an mfx decoder, then program it manually to address two WITHOUT the card.

Somehow, it seems to me the card is the culprit here.

No, the loco has an "fx" decoder...
BTW I was able to resolve this issue by doing a combination of resetting the MS as well as the Loco.
What I also learnt is the decoder is "fx" which is also known as "MM2". I noticed this in the MS when I did a "RESET LOCO" and the address was "2" with MM2 listed by the address.

Gurus, please correct me if I am wrong. I thank you all for the help...

But this only a starting, I request your experience and bear my dumb questions.

Good night...
Vijay
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by vnangli
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 18 April 2016 07:58:23(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Märklin do not include loco cards for mfx locos.

What I also learnt is the decoder is "fx" which is also known as "MM2". I noticed this in the MS when I did a "RESET LOCO" and the address was "2" with MM2 listed by the address.
The MS2 does not support MM1 (aka MM old), so all MM locos are listed as MM2 (aka MM new).
I think the MS2 actually uses a mix of MM1 and MM2 for all locos (like the CU 6021 did with the default setting).
Function decoders for MM1 will not work with the MS2 AFAIK.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline vnangli  
#7 Posted : 20 April 2016 22:31:35(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
After my exploration about CV parameter programming and Decoders, I realized what was going wrong with the 29791 not working initially which followed by Loco running without instructions.

First thing :
When the loco was not running, I was putting 29791 on the track and was not choosing the correct protocol. Which is MM2. When I chose Mfx, DCC and MM2. It started working.

Second thing :
The loco had started running without instructions. I recall, after I was setting the address to "2" I was choosing some random numbers for CV parameters (without even knowing what I was doing), just because the Mobile Station was not letting me go back to the Loco operation mode. During one of such CV parameter messing up, the loco may have recorded the speed setting. And it wanted to run at the same speed every time I placed it on the track even with no registered loco in the Mobile Station. This problem was fixed by a simple RESET LOCO.

I thought I will share my experience which may benefit somebody.

Thanks again
Vijay