Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2016 13:46:28(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
First NS Stadler Flirt 3 commutertrains have been spotted on the Dutch railwaynetwork.
Total 58 trains ordered,33 times 3 coach combinations and 25 times 4 coach combinations.
Nice looking trains!

Over a 1,000 of these trains sold in Europe sofar.

I like the chairs!

http://www.martijnvanvul...6/20160409_005_small.jpg

Edited by user 16 April 2016 11:38:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#2 Posted : 16 April 2016 14:24:16(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
Nice train, but why are there so many train types in Nederland? SLT, GWT, Protos, CAF. If this Sprint is so good, why order the CAF? Why have a Protos that is practically an orphan?

To think of it, why have soo many railway companies operating in Nederland?

When I was 16, I went on the train in Groningen and 4 hours later I got of in Middelburg. (Tiener Tour Card) I don't remember if I switched trains, but I probably did. Anyway, it was all one company. Try that now, I bet it will take longer with a lot more switching trains.

I think you could go from Maastricht to Den Helder switching only once (Utrecht or Amsterdam), how many times would you have to switch now?

UserPostedImage
Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 16 April 2016 15:56:28(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
NS Intercity Groningen to Middelburg takes 4:30 hrs ,switching trains once at Rotterdam Central,that is NS all the way.

NS Intercity Den Helder to Maastricht takes 4:00 hrs,switching trains once at Alkmaar,again NS all the way.

Why so many trains and various railwaycompanies?
In the old days NS was a state owned company,having 100 percent monopoly on the national railwaynetwork.
Government decided it would be good for consumers to bring in competition so that ticketprices could be kept under control.
This required the creation of Prorail having control over maintenance of tracks and signals.
In practise this does not work,Prorail are doing a very poor job operating way over budget,minister of transport wishing to take direct control.
NS does not want competition and is not assisting competition in any way,i would act likewise to be honoust.

The various companies are tendering for multi year transportcontracts and once these contracts have been granted they can buy equipment where they want.
On their part,NS are still taking the bulk of all passengertransport and having to invest in equipment based on vague assumptions about growing traffic.
The current lack of seats has been caused by the political decision to let university students travel for free (!) and these students have the habit to travel during peakhours,when commuters are trying to get to the office.

The Stadlers Flirt 3 is a sort of emergency measure because as compared to the CAF the Stadlers are available at short notice,i believe the new series are being build in Poland.
Together with the Mat'64 commutertrains (in service since 1964!) it helps to beat the crisis.

It is my personal opinion that our country is too small for various railwaycompanies and that the current system is counterproductive.

Here a new Sprint 3 for Abellio,a NS daughter,in the eastern part of The Netherlands:

The GWT is operated by Veolia and Arriva.

In the period 2006-2010 NS hired 100 ex DB coaches in a similar crises and painted these coaches in NS colors,they were rather popular with the public.
See Marklin set 26561 which is holding 4 ex DB coaches and 1 Dutch intercity coach.
The German coaches were named type ICL (Inter City Leased) and can be recognised by the rounded roofends.
In addition,in the period 2002-2009 NS hired another 150 ex DB coaches type Bm235 and renamed them ICK (Inter City Kortetermijn=shortterm).
In practise,both the ICL and ICK coaches could be found in the same trains.

After reading all the above i can only think about one big mess!

Must add that freighttraffic has been completely given away by NS,nowadays mainly catered for by DB Schenker (German).

Edited by user 19 April 2016 12:20:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).