Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Martin T  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2016 07:03:11(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Hi!

I´ve trying to get my Märklin M-track to look as good as possible and found that some Styrofoam, Woodglue and WS Buff is (as usual) is the key ingredients in making it happen. I also made a video tutorial of how it´s done.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Martin T
Offline jcrtrains  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2016 14:32:58(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
It looks great. The video is great as always. But I thought that defacing M-Track was sacrilege?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 21 April 2016 21:37:02(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The video is great. The idea of just gluing down the foam between the track roadbeds, and not the track itself (via glue/screw/nail) - and thus have the angled sides of the styrofoam hold down the track is a great concept. I'd not thought of it.

So I wonder, you mention in the video it would allow you to easily remove and clean a track part - say to resell or otherwise do something with.
How often have you don't this? I imagine once its working in your layout there's no reason to pull the part out, other than to put it back down after a repair/modification.

As I plan my layout I'm looking at new C-track, which would use a darker gray/cinder ballast. Though I admit that having the loose ballast (ie not glued down with something, be it white glue, wall paper paste, etc) still nags at me.

-- Side note:

having watched alot (all ?) of the videos, a key ingredient to the work ideas seem to be:
1) Toilet Paper
2) Burnt Umber acrylic paint
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Martin T  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2016 10:22:59(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
The video is great. The idea of just gluing down the foam between the track roadbeds, and not the track itself (via glue/screw/nail) - and thus have the angled sides of the styrofoam hold down the track is a great concept. I'd not thought of it.

So I wonder, you mention in the video it would allow you to easily remove and clean a track part - say to resell or otherwise do something with.
How often have you don't this? I imagine once its working in your layout there's no reason to pull the part out, other than to put it back down after a repair/modification.

As I plan my layout I'm looking at new C-track, which would use a darker gray/cinder ballast. Though I admit that having the loose ballast (ie not glued down with something, be it white glue, wall paper paste, etc) still nags at me.

-- Side note:

having watched alot (all ?) of the videos, a key ingredient to the work ideas seem to be:
1) Toilet Paper

Hi!

There is a significant second hand value for Märklin parts, so I expect to get almost same amount when I sell it as I bought it. The M-rail has been declining somewhat lately, but under the right circumstances I can still get a good chunk of Money back. Up to date I have like 4000 Euros/USD in M-tracks. I rather will be able to re-sell them in original packages as new. For the next layout I expect to replace them all, at least in all visible areas.

Having loose ballast on C-tracks can be a problem, since the rail profile of the C-track is much lower and less forgiving for ballast laying around. If you´re in to ballasting, then K-track is probably your choise.

"having watched alot (all ?) of the videos, a key ingredient to the work ideas seem to be:
1) Toilet Paper
2) Burnt Umber acrylic paint"

LOL LOL LOL Yeah! It´s cheap and very universal! LOL LOL LOL
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martin T
Offline Martin T  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2016 10:27:08(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
It looks great. The video is great as always. But I thought that defacing M-Track was sacrilege?

Hi!

Laugh Nee.. The more Beautiful the M-rail gets, the more respect! Cool
Re-use and re-cycle is the trend you know.. Laugh
Regards / Martin T
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Martin T
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2016 22:30:52(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Martin T Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

-- Side note:

1) Toilet Paper

Hi!

There is a significant second hand value for Märklin parts, so I expect to get almost same amount when I sell it as I bought it. The M-rail has been declining somewhat lately, but under the right circumstances I can still get a good chunk of Money back. Up to date I have like 4000 Euros/USD in M-tracks. I rather will be able to re-sell them in original packages as new. For the next layout I expect to replace them all, at least in all visible areas.

What track do you plan on using in the next layout?

Originally Posted by: Martin T Go to Quoted Post

Having loose ballast on C-tracks can be a problem, since the rail profile of the C-track is much lower and less forgiving for ballast laying around. If you´re in to ballasting, then K-track is probably your choise.

May just balast on the outside edges of the track/plastic balast. Will have to see. Or I may just put land (grass/dirt) glued to the foam between the C-track.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Martin T  
#7 Posted : 14 May 2016 23:38:24(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Hi Minok! :)

"What track do you plan on using in the next layout?"

Ohh.. It will most likely be K-track, but I haven´t even planned the current layout fully, so the next one is a empty sheet so far.. I am hoping to be missing something or regretting something, but as per today I´m still more than happy with my current layout. We´ll see.. That might change.. It Always does!
Regards / Martin T
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martin T