Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline franciscohg  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2016 01:02:40(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi all, today i received a Brawa 40271 - S9 - what an exquisite locomotive but.....derails on curves...all of themCrying Cursing
The problem is caused by the front truck, and i can see no problem with it, nor in the loco, nor in the manuals.
Anybody aware of a similar problem?
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2016 06:59:27(UTC)
Goofy

Probably is too light weight on the truck.
Try to add some weight on it with the zink.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline MaerklinLife  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2016 09:36:50(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Have you measured the distance between the wheels and compared them with a working wheel set? The distance might be a bit off, causing the wagon to derail when it enters the curve.
Offline Angus  
#4 Posted : 15 April 2016 10:09:42(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
I had a problem in the past with a loco whose front bogey was not 'sprung' enough to hold it down onto the tracks properly, was fine on straights but curves & turnouts were a problem.

There was a little metal tab like thing on the bogey which I bent a little and then all was well with the loco.

Goofy's suggestion of adding a bit of weight would also help.
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 15 April 2016 11:31:14(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Hi all, today i received a Brawa 40271 - S9 - what an exquisite locomotive but.....derails on curves...all of themCrying Cursing
The problem is caused by the front truck, and i can see no problem with it, nor in the loco, nor in the manuals.
Anybody aware of a similar problem?
Regards

Check the instructions/manual to see if there is any minimum radius required for the curves. R1 (360mm) might not be valid.(?)

Also -as mentioned- good idea to check the spacing between wheels. The inner spacing should be 13.9mm for perfect running. Depending on track-system (M,K or C) you might get away with slightly bigger spacing (I think C is good for 14.1mm?)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 15 April 2016 11:35:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Francisco, there is no such thing as I can't find the problem, when you conquer Mt. Everest you have to be prepared for any problem occuring and it is a must by finding a solution otherwise you'll neverf get back to your model trains, good luck with finding the cause.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline nitramretep  
#7 Posted : 15 April 2016 14:52:01(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
For what its worth a friend of mine who is a Brawa user adds lead shot to hid locomotives on a regular basis when he buys them. Apparently the manufacturer uses a lot of light weight materials and this affects its gripping or traction capabilities. I only have Brawa freight cars and cannot agree or disagree with this weighting issue.
Offline franciscohg  
#8 Posted : 15 April 2016 16:44:30(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi all, thanks for your replies, well, the wheels gauge is correct, little less of 14 mm. I thought of the weight/pressure thing, since when little pressure is applied by hand on the chimney the problem seems to disappear. Sadly there is no spring mechanism on the bogey. There is also no space pot putting a proper spring in between. Will try with a copper plating and/or adding weight. I got a quick response from Brawa but I think they understand that the problem was the tender front truck since they told me to grease the loco tender coupler mechanism. Will continue the work and keep you informed. Anyway, it is a little disappointing to get a no cheap loco that doesn't work well right out of the box.....
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 16 April 2016 03:47:39(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, i think i am on my way, i have managed to put the spring of an old short pickup shoe to give down pressure to the truck, now the loco can make the turn and pass trough turnouts not derailing, but i think there is uneven pressure because the inner rear wheel of the truck tends to lift causing also a lift in the oposite traction wheel, no derailments at low speed.....i will try to improve the spring solution now.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 16 April 2016 04:10:31(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Well, i think i am on my way, i have managed to put the spring of an old short pickup shoe to give down pressure to the truck, now the loco can make the turn and pass trough turnouts not derailing, but i think there is uneven pressure because the inner rear wheel of the truck tends to lift causing also a lift in the oposite traction wheel, no derailments at low speed.....i will try to improve the spring solution now.

Francisco by rights you shouldn't have to do this and suppose it is always the same dilemma when you don't live in Europe, sending locos back is extremely expensive, I hope Braw is coming up with a solution and send you something to fix the problem.

good luck

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline franciscohg  
#11 Posted : 16 April 2016 04:32:33(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi John, things are going quite well, i have putted also a spring in the rear truck and the loco is more balanced, but a brake assy tends to hit the pukos in turnouts, i have also removed a plastic washer in the front truck so now it can moves more freely, problem is that the front spring tends to move from its position, i can fix it but i dont want to make any permanent thing until further response from Brawa, i have sent them a video but it seems that i dont catch them on working hoours, so i will wait until monday, but since now i am sure that i can make it run i will order a loksound for itBigGrin
Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 17 April 2016 22:05:30(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi all, yesterday after a surgery a put my hands on a disposable equipment, they usually are made of very good quality materials, and i have found a proper spring, today after a needed nap i have cut it to the right lenght, put it in the front truck, and voila!!!!! Now the loco is well balanced without the need of the back truck spring, so it is running fine over curves and turnouts. Either way will wait from the Brawa response for a more "proffesional" solution, but i am quite happy, the loco is really a beauty and it has been a pity have it condemned to be a shelf queen!!!!!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline skeeterbuck  
#13 Posted : 19 April 2016 16:01:41(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Francisco, Good to hear you have your Brawa loco running well. I have a Brawa 40311 (BR 94) on the way from Germany. It has the smoke & sound already installed. I hoping I don't have any derailing issues as it's a 0-10-0. Laugh It is suppose to have a minimum radius of 360mm.

This is my first venture into the "dark side" (read non-Marklin loco) and I am somewhat anxious to test it out. BigGrin

Chuck
Offline franciscohg  
#14 Posted : 20 April 2016 20:13:47(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Ohhhhh, fell sorry for youBigGrin BigGrin These Brawa things can be very adictive. Despite that little solved problem that i had, they are exquisite models in almost every aspect except for your wallet's healthBigGrin
Regards