Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nygma  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2016 11:59:38(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
Upgraded to CS2

Getting started with CS2

Hi All,

I got a second hand CS2 from a friend of mine who bought it a long time ago for his H0 layout, but is has never been used. It is a Central Station 60214, Hardware version 3.6, Software Version: 4.1.0 (3) (just updated via the network cable).
It came with the 60061 power supply. That is all I got (and a F, NL manual which is not really helpful for me).

I hooked it up to the net and performed the update and used the Reset_Marklin.tgz file to restore the factory settings. I guess I have done everything correct, right?

I also have an MS2 60653 (HW: 2.1, SW: 2.5). I connected it to the front jack of the CS2. It boots up, I can see no locos on the MS2 and when I go into the settings the "Update MS2" option is disabled. Why is that? Am I already on the most up-to-date version? How I am supposed to update my MS2?

The difficult question comes now: I have an outdoor layout. There is big box that holds all my adapters, boosters. It took a long time to set that up and I would like to keep that if possible. That is all set up for the MS2: adapter for MS2, and the Gauge 1 control box 60112 and a 3rd party booster.
If possible I would like to keep all that in case I am only running 1 train and for that I just bring the MS2 out to the garden. I plug it in and the fun begins. What would be the easiest way to integrate the CS2 into this setup?

I can connect the rail terminals of CS2 directly to the booster, but not sure what it will do to 60112 if that is still powered (but no MS2 connected to it). If this works, I still need to power the CS2. There is no more space in the box. Can I create my own power cable for the CS2 and run it from the adapter of the MS2 (I have not checked if the voltage is the same)?

Can you think of any other option?

And lastly: how do I make my locos appear on the MS2, when it is connected to CS2?

Thanks,
Csongor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nygma
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2016 11:20:45(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Csongor,

You ask many questions:
- documentation of the CS2 may be loaded from marklin Marklin Downloads (you have to accept the licence before having access to files).
- outdoor operation: CS2 is not made for fixed outdoor operation so you have to connect it and its power supply. If your place is dry and if you have a nice protection against rain you may leave it outside (not advised as you will have humidity even in a protected box. It is both dangerous for you and risky for your CS2).
- booster: you don't need one as a 60101 power supply can help you have 5 ampères.
- Sun: the CS2 is fine indoor but it is not very visible in direct sunlight so you have to think about a sun protection
- Mobile station: you have to allow the update

I hope i have helped you
Cheers
Jean
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2016 11:50:51(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
- documentation of the CS2 may be loaded from marklin Marklin Downloads (you have to accept the licence before having access to files.)

I can tell you haven't been reading the forum in the last couple of days!

The link Jean provides is a link to the old version of the CS2 manual. Marklin USA released a link to the updated English version (if you can call 2014 updated) of the manual a few days ago, which I posted in the following thread.

https://www.marklin-user...ol-28-Jan---Mar-Apr-2016

And no, you don't have to accept any license agreements to access the link - in fact I posted a copy of the manual in that thread.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2016 11:55:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
- booster: you don't need one as a 60101 power supply can help you have 5 ampères.

Not correct! You will need a 60174 booster and 60101 power supply to obtain a 5 amp power output. Five amp output was not available on the 60214 CS2 until hardware version 4.33, so Csongor's CS2 does not have that capability.

Originally Posted by: nygma Go to Quoted Post
I can connect the rail terminals of CS2 directly to the booster, but not sure what it will do to 60112 if that is still powered (but no MS2 connected to it).

You cannot use a 60112 track output box with a CS2, it is designed for use only with a MS2. You would connect the track output from your CS2 to your rails, or connect the output of a 60174 booster to the rails if you are using one. There are ports on the CS2 to plug the MS2 into, to use as a secondary throttle.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
H0
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2016 17:16:32(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I also have an MS2 60653 (HW: 2.1, SW: 2.5). I connected it to the front jack of the CS2. It boots up, I can see no locos on the MS2 and when I go into the settings the "Update MS2" option is disabled. Why is that?
2.5 is the latest version.
This menu entry is used to upgrade the other MS2 if you have 2 MS2s connected to a track box. It's not relevant when the MS2 is connected to a CS2.

And lastly: how do I make my locos appear on the MS2, when it is connected to CS2?
You select them from the loco list - like you do it when you have 2 MS2s connected to a track box.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 10 April 2016 17:19:28(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Five amp output was not available on the 60214 CS2 until hardware version 4.33, so Csongor's CS2 does not have that capability.
Right. The old CS2 is limited to 2.4 A. You can connect main track output and programming track output to get 3 A - but this is recommended for large scales only (1, 2, 3, G).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline nygma  
#7 Posted : 11 April 2016 15:52:39(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   

- outdoor operation: CS2 is not made for fixed outdoor operation so you have to connect it and its power supply. If your place is dry and if you have a nice protection against rain you may leave it outside (not advised as you will have humidity even in a protected box. It is both dangerous for you and risky for your CS2).
- Sun: the CS2 is fine indoor but it is not very visible in direct sunlight so you have to think about a sun protection
- Mobile station: you have to allow the update
Jean

Hi Jean,

Thank you for the comment. Maybe I was not very clear, I only intend to leave the power adapter out, the controller comes back indoors after each play. I do the same with MS2 as well, I take it out and plug it in.
Offline nygma  
#8 Posted : 11 April 2016 15:56:01(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   

Hi Bigdaddynz, I have to admit I am in and out of this forum and did not see the relevant topic. Thanks for the update manual, it is very useful. I know the input voltage tolerance of the CS2 now. As long as I can buy the same plug I can power the CS2 with an 20V supply I have already.