Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2016 22:01:38(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
46088 - Review of a Maerklin era II set of rolling stock for the Deutsche Reichsbahn.

Over time, I buy older, used models of various brands to make up a particular train, some of doubtful quality regards wheels and couplers. In contrast, this new modern set costs a large amount of money, but it is a pleasure to get a set where I am completely satisfied with the running and model quality.

This weathered set of cars, catalogue #46088, goes with the Marklin engine #37516, which was modelled to look as it did in 1938. See the loco review here: https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t34458-DRG-pre-war-locomotive---37516--56-569

But I am using my engine and cars as if they were running 7 years later, in 1946. Firstly, the set repeats (with different running numbers) some of the cars found in the DRG #46401 set, which was un-weathered. The weathering on this set is fairly simple, being what appears to be a one-colour pass. The weathering on #05 in the set could have been done a little more subtly, to minimize the missed sections of the detail. However, the weathering is generally effective, and appeals to users who might have difficulty in achieving it for themselves (for which there are a variety of reasons). Each car comes in its own numbered cardboard box, within an overall set box.
UserPostedImage

Each box contains the two-part moulded clear plastic holder, the bottom part shaped to hold the car, and the top piece fitting as a cover. This is very protective packaging. The only exception is the beer car, which comes in the folding clear plastic, with the car ends fitting into the folds. One coupling was broken on my beer car (easily fixed with a new slot-in NEM coupler), but it indicates that the packaging is not as robust as the others. DC wheelsets are available for each car, and the relevant part numbers are shown on the end of each box. No doubt continental Maerklin dealers can swap for you.

I have included some statistics and facts on each prototype, most of which were obtained from Thomas Nosske. I wish to acknowledge his expertise in matters regarding the Deutsche Reichsbahn rolling stock builds. See http://web.hs-merseburg.de/~nosske/EpocheII/e2x_f.html

Each numbered box is as follows:
01 - Dresden Glt #81 793. The model represents a 1927 version long wheel-base closed van (under-frame truss, and side-wall bracing), with full height doors at each end, allowing loading and unloading of vehicles and machinery from end loading platforms, over the buffers. (The similar car in the 46401 set has the letter r, which shows that it was able to be re-gauged to the Russian system). The weathering is an all-over dirty black, so the car looks darker than an un-weathered example. Weighs 48 grams.

Standard Association Design A9 from 1910
Approx.. 10,000 built (including earlier units built from 1914).
G = gedecte (closed or covered),
l = a load area greater than 26 square metres, and
t = it has end doors.
This model originally appeared in 3 different forms (with or without end doors of differing types) in Set #00794 for era III, in 2010.
The lousy photo below is to illustrate the colour difference with an un-weathered example.
UserPostedImage

02 - The Konigsberg Om steel and wood, loaded coal car has running number #5 370. Weighs 35 grams with coal load.
Original Design built from 1924-26
Approx 19000 built.
O = open
m = 20 ton maximum load
The tooling for this model was first used in 2013, when Maerklin released a set #46026 for Insider members, which included 2 of the Konigsberg wagons.

03 - The Nurnberg O loaded coal car in all steel, has running number #14 532. Weighs 38 grams with coal load.
Standard Association Design A6 from 1910
Approx. 24000 built
This wagon has been fitted with turned metal buffers, and the other Maerklin productions of the Nurnberg appear to be similarly equipped. A weathered, loaded set of 10 coal wagons were produced by Marklin in 2007, lettered for the DRG, #46045. Also produced for DB era III #46030.

04 - München #518 758 “Erlanger Erichbräu”. The brewery dating from 1730 in the town of Erlangen, about 20km from Nuremberg on the line to Bamberg, was run by the Erich family. By the 1930s it was a successful brewing house, owned by a corporation. For this insulated G car with brakeman’s cab, the basis is the 1910 design covered van with the double flush hinged doors (not the sliding door). It was used for the transport of beer. These girls.... sorry cars, could be quite buxom, so the weathering shows the darkening road grime splattered up by the wheels, a contrast against the overall white. Weighs 66 grams.

Based on a Standard Association Design A2 from 1910
This model tooling was possibly issued originally for era III with brakeman’s cab, under the Trix brand #24032 (2004). I have era III versions without the brakeman’s housing, #48770 (2004), and in set #48810 (2007). It also showed up in start-set #29040 (2013).
UserPostedImage

05 - Wuppertal #14 820. This K class covered gondola with brakeman’s house, is equipped with working roof hatches. It shows appropriate weathering across the top, and spillage over the sides. These wagons were generally used for loading pulverised and powdered material such as lime, marl, ground limestone, fine soda, fine ground rock salt, and rock dust. These wagons were never to be used for flammable materials or pulverised coal. Weighs 38 grams.

Standard Association Design A7 1910
Approx. 5,000 built.
K = klappdeckelwagen (covered gondola with hatches).

06 - Stuttgart Rs #80 254. The model is a flat car of the generic type, and again, weathering is an all-over dirty black, so the car looks darker than an un-weathered example. Weighs 31 grams.
Standard Association Design A4 from 1910
Approx. 35,000 built
R = rungenwagen (flat),
s = permitted for use in a train up to 90kph.
The unfocused photo below is to illustrate the colour difference with an un-weathered example.
UserPostedImage

Overall I am very happy with this set, both for value and quality.
Kimball

Edited by user 23 April 2016 02:22:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 06 April 2016 22:48:06(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks for a great review of these wagons, and the research into the other Marklin and Trix models of these wagons.

Much appreciated.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Mark_1602  
#3 Posted : 07 April 2016 19:18:13(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi Kimball,

Thanks for the detailed review and the DR/DRG link. ThumpUp I have that set as well and like it, though I haven't bought the matching locomotive yet. Are you pleased with your 37516? One point that would interest me is if it has any contact problems at the lowest possible speed. Do you ever need to give it a little push because it has lost contact and stopped? I used to have a new BR 01 that had this problem, but new electric or diesel locomotives with similar DC motors managed to crawl at very low speed along the same track. Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

Best regards,
Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 07 April 2016 21:03:51(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: M-Classics Go to Quoted Post
Hi Kimball,

Thanks for the detailed review and the DR/DRG link. ThumpUp I have that set as well and like it, though I haven't bought the matching locomotive yet. Are you pleased with your 37516? One point that would interest me is if it has any contact problems at the lowest possible speed. Do you ever need to give it a little push because it has lost contact and stopped? ......

Best regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,
No I have never had any problems with the 37516.
If I ever have a contact problem, I blame the centre pukos for not being "polished" (clean) enough.
I use a grit 1200 emery paper (Tamiya etc from a hobby shop), it has the coarseness of toilet paper, and will not harm the pukos.

The exception is the Maerklin Kof, and a Brawa small tank loco, (both very light) where the loco just seems to be lifted by the pukos at crossings so the loco loses the ground contact.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Mark_1602  
#5 Posted : 09 April 2016 23:14:55(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi Kimball,

Thanks for your quick reply. I might go for that BR 56.

Märklin should make one more weathered DRG freight car set to match the 46088, I think.

Best regards,
Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 18 April 2016 02:29:35(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Mark_1602 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Kimball,

Thanks for your quick reply. I might go for that BR 56.

Märklin should make one more weathered DRG freight car set to match the 46088, I think.

Best regards,
Mark

Not a bad idea Mark.
Previous issues by Maerklin for DRG, included the #46045 set (in 2007) of 10 loaded and weathered Nurnberg coal cars.

regards
Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Mark_1602  
#7 Posted : 18 April 2016 18:09:53(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi Kimball,

I've noticed the coal car set as well. The impression I get on German MRR forums is that there are not [edit] a lot of Märklin customers who are interested in era I or II, except for Bavarian models or prestige trains such as the Orient Express or the Rheingold.

I got the 37516, by the way. Occasionally, official Märklin dealers now sell that model in Ebay auctions starting at 1 euro, which also suggests that demand for era II is pretty low. I won such an auction about a week ago.

Best regards,

Mark

Edited by user 19 April 2016 22:44:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards, Mark

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 18 April 2016 22:55:45(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Mark_1602 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Kimball, ......The impression I get on German MRR forums is that there are not Märklin customers who are interested in era I or II, except for Bavarian models or prestige trains such as the Orient Express or the Rheingold........ Best regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

That is interesting.
I have noted too that the Prussian P10 (BR39) has been modelled by Marklin in a few different liveries for early era II, and these are being offered at slightly discounted prices.
This includes one of the 5 Borsig special issues.
Yet Maerklin still keep punching out era I models with regularity.

regards
Kimball
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Mark_1602  
#9 Posted : 19 April 2016 23:14:19(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi Kimball,

True, those Prussian locomotives such as the P 10 don't seem to sell well as era I or II versions, whereas the DB BR 39 was popular some years ago. Another Prussian locomotive Märklin couldn't sell was the Borsig edition of the BR 55 (G 8.1), which was repackaged and weathered to be sold as the 26803 set together with some freight cars last year.

Most German Märklin customers, especially those who spend more money on model trains, live in the southern half of Germany, which explains the relative success and popularity of era I Bavarian or Württemberg models as compared to Prussian ones. The south is more prosperous than the north, and East Germany is definitely not Märklin territory. When the King Ludwig train set was released in the 1990s, many dealers in the north of Germany didn't order it because they thought that none of their customers would pay the high price. (Mr Koll mentions that in his catalogue.)

The popularity of early era III models is also declining slowly in my opinion. Only people aged over 60 can remember the 1950s, so the main focus should gradually shift to era IV in the next 5-10 years. I sometimes buy era I or II items because they look picturesque, but I wouldn't build such a layout. I'd probably go for late era III or early era IV, but right now we have two small kids, so there's no time for a layout.

Best regards,
Mark
Best regards, Mark

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 20 April 2016 11:37:01(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Mark,
Well I figure that Maerklin are the ones who know their market.
Even so, they have announced a new Summer 2016 item in the shape of a train set, with an Electro-Triebwagen for era II (26194).
It would appear to include some freight cars.

regards
Kimball
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 06 June 2016 07:34:26(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I think as we get older some of us are more aware of train eras others may just get model trains for their looks or present appearance (era V and VI), I think another reason is when selling sets (which they sell well) lots of ebay sellers take the set apart and sell them individually and the loco itself then becomes a cheaper option than buying it on its own or the cars are sold individual as well. when I look at the prices a cold shiver runs down my spine, these days I look at freight cars being offered at a special price and save myself money but it may not be what is on offer in full sets and I don't think they would be weathered either.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 06 June 2016 18:37:57(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Good review Kimball.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline GlennM  
#13 Posted : 07 June 2016 11:44:15(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Great Review Kimball ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM